Does Size* Really Matter? *(Tent Size!)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Does Size* Really Matter? *(Tent Size!)

Post by 9ah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:46 am

Ssssoooooo... I bought a new bin and now I'm putting all the stuff that I don't plan to use until the burn in it. Early spring cleaning if you will. Anywho, I currently have a 4 person tent that has been it's fair share of burns (I think about 4, I inherited said tent). I have a friend planning to camp with me in aforementioned tent so I considered getting second, small 2 person, tent to use as a changing room/sleep apart from each other space. The other option is getting a new 6 person tent and gift my old tent to someone.

I am aware of the risks of sharing a space with someone. I shared a rather small tent a couple years back with two people which was okay. So for my tent campers, what's your preference? At the moment I can't afford a Kodiak or other form of canvas tent which is why a new 6 person or a second small tent are my options... Leaning towards a new tent... Shiny! :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Does Size* Really Matter? *(Tent Size!)

Post by VultureChow » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

Small second. It's like a little insurance policy, just in case something crazy happens btw you two.

Or you can go third option. I think I still have a small, light, backpackers tent I could give you. Sleeps one, but could also be used for storage. I'd be thrilled if it found a new useful home. Packs light and small. You could still get the shiny new tent and have a closet.
Sic Semper Spectatores

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:23 am

Size definitely matters in the tent department. As I see it, the key consideration is the shade structure it's going to go under (and if you don't have a shade structure, you should work on that). For a shade structure to be as effective as possible in keeping your tent cool, you should have at least a 12-18 inch clearance between the top of your tent and the shade - that way when the shade tarp/cloth/etc gets blasted by the sun and heat radiates downward, there's room for airflow to blow that away. If the tent's too close, that heat just radiates into your tent.

Depending on your camp setup and situation, you might only actually need a tent for changing and sleeping and whatnot. If your camp has a comfy non-public space for you and a couple friends to hang out or be social in small groups, then you don't really have a need for one of those big multi-room tents.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and if you've got space for it and it's not going to affect your budget so much, having a little 2-person backup tent can just be good to have. My girlfriend and I usually bring one every year - we've never needed it for ourselves, but there have been a couple times when it came in handy for campmates (drama, tent failure, etc).

9ah

Post by 9ah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am

VC! I may have to take you up on that offer! I may still do the larger tent and gift my current tent to someone in need as my air mattress still takes up 75% of my current tent/I can't fully stand.

Trilobyte - We have our main lounge with lots of little spaces to chill within it. I shared shade space with a campmate that has a huge structure, but he arrived after I had setup last year. I'll definitely have to take a larger tent into consideration... Dammit!

What are you folks currently using?

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 am

I started out in a single person tent, then moved to a two person tent, and now reside in a "four" person tent. I'd say size does matter, but it also matters what you want to accomplish. Like with my wants, I want to be able to stand to put on pants. So that's why I have the tent I have now. I'd be happy if it, heck my whole set up had a smaller foot print. But it is what it is. On the upside I can keep all my things inside, have shade from morning sun, and even keep my bike seat cool. Also grumpy cat gives encouragement to people passing by.

The only year I pre-planned to share a tent with someone. We had two small two person tents, one that we slept in, and another one we kept stuff in. We really didn't have an issue on sharing the sleeping tent. I think in part because the no smexy time with strangers rule. But the gear tent became a bit more of a mess than if it was just in one persons control. In part because it was easy to forget about things in it since you don't see it all the time. In the end I'd guess it would just come down to your expectations of your tent-mate.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 am

9ah, I'll take a look for it tonight and set it up to see if it's in decent shape.
Sic Semper Spectatores

9ah

Post by 9ah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

That's a huge four person. Crap! I'm vertically challenged and can't fully stand in mine. I want to stand! No sexytime in a shared tent is a good rule!
C187 wrote:I started out in a single person tent, then moved to a two person tent, and now reside in a "four" person tent. I'd say size does matter, but it also matters what you want to accomplish. Like with my wants, I want to be able to stand to put on pants. So that's why I have the tent I have now. I'd be happy if it, heck my whole set up had a smaller foot print. But it is what it is. On the upside I can keep all my things inside, have shade from morning sun, and even keep my bike seat cool. Also grumpy cat gives encouragement to people passing by.
VC- Thank you!! Are you planning on watching the game in NJ this weekend? Coming to the city anytime int he near future?

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Might divide the game btw my parents and my local Irish bar. No way on earth I'm headed anywhere near the stadium. It's going to be a madhouse.

One of my New Years resolutions was to get at least more acquainted with area burners. So I'll be trying to hit one of the Wednesday night meetups once a month. This month has gotten past me, but I'll try early in February.
Sic Semper Spectatores

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:14 pm

C, you have a 6 person tent, not a 4 person tent. I should know we had the same tent last year
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

What are your respective personality types? What are your respective personality types under stress? What are anticipated sleep schedules? Playa neatness expectations - like am I going to trip over a big pile of dirty costumes and wake them which I didn't want to do or vice versa? I would say take a camping trip in said tent with the individual in advance of the trip. I do remember 3 female festival experienced and friends of one another sharing a teepee with a nice little altar at the center pole that got along quite well.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Not a fan of sharing a tent (monkeyhut is fine though). After sleeping out of a 1-man tent, I upgraded to a tent large enough for a full-size inflatable mattress, but small enough to fit under a monkeyhut. Everything else just went into sacks and containers outside the tent.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Frizzboom
Camp Name: Suggestions?

Post by Frizzboom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I had 900 sqft of monkey hut last year, I am gonna add 200 for social space this year. this is one of the two huts we had to make the 900
Last edited by Frizzboom on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 pm

That's a mighty nice set up, Frizzboom. I epecially love the green locker/stove stand... the pipe legs very cool, and a bottle opener 8) . What keeps the back ones from sliding down?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Frizzboom
Camp Name: Suggestions?

Post by Frizzboom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Two stop screws at the top.
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”