Lag screws vs everything else...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
qtip
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Lag screws vs everything else...

Post by qtip » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Has anybody used these for larger structures?

https://www.groundgrabba.com/product/gr ... 16fd43adaa

They seem like a cheaper version of the penetrator, but have fewer and coarser threads, a skinnier shaft, and only come in a max 2 ft length.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Wow. That price tag would scare me off. Seriously? Why would anyone buy those? They're three eights inch by 2 foot.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Yup
Looks like it would be more than a little bendy (breaky) under a heavy load.
A long bare shank means the threads disturb the soil going in but don't leave threads grabbing it for much of the length.
But might work well in some soils.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

qtip

Post by qtip » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Good points, thinking about it a bit more I think my main concern would be the shaft breaking due to high torques during installation. Oh well, we are looking for less expensive options to anchor our art piece but will probably bite the bullet and get the penetrator anchors.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm

qtip wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm
... Oh well, we are looking for less expensive options to anchor our art piece but will probably bite the bullet and get the penetrator anchors.
Make sure you consider: holding it up/down, wind loads, climbing loads.
You're not the first to anchor an art piece. See what others did.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

qtip

Post by qtip » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Canoe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm
qtip wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm
... Oh well, we are looking for less expensive options to anchor our art piece but will probably bite the bullet and get the penetrator anchors.
Make sure you consider: holding it up/down, wind loads, climbing loads.
You're not the first to anchor an art piece. See what others did.
Yeah, I'm an engineer and we are definitely looking at all of the worst case load combinations. I was mainly interested in seeing whether anybody had used that cheaper piece of hardware, most of the larger installations seem to use the penetrator anchors and there is at least some data on the strength of those.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”