travel trailer 12v battery how long will it last?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
louisacrystal
Burning Since: 2000

travel trailer 12v battery how long will it last?

Post by louisacrystal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 pm

I am bringing my recently purchased 25 foot keystone passport travel trailer. I'm going back and forth about bringing the generator. The thing is that I'm already cutting it really close to my weight limit. The generator is an extra 70 lbs plus fuel and a big pain in the ass. I was thinking about just putting two 12v batteries in parallel and bringing a third one as a backup. I replaced all of my lights to led bulbs. I'm mainly going to be using the water pump and the control panels an carbon monoxide detector and the lights down to a minimum! I'm wondering if anyone has an idea how long I could potentially get the batteries to last through the week? is it possible or am I going to be wishing that I had brought the generator?
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: travel trailer 12v battery how long will it last?

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 pm

well, welcome, first off!!

but, sweet Jeebus! how can any one answer that, not knowing how many lights, what draw on each, appliances, water pump, and how much each is used? How big and new are the batteries?
Seems a couple of batteries is going to weight as much as a good Honda (or similar) 1 or 2 Kw gennie.
of course, that depends on the size batteries you are using.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

dietrichdr
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Shit Ain't Right aka CSAR

Post by dietrichdr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Using just for LED lights and water pump, no problem. Plus there are solar charging opportunities around the city. Just look for a solar array and ask if you can charge your 12v battery. If all else fails, stop by 630 and Haifa for a visit to Camp Shit Ain't Right and we would be happy to charge your battery off our solar charging system.

louisacrystal

Post by louisacrystal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm still learning about the batteries. All I know is that they are deep cycle 12v batteries and 2 of them are bran new and the third one is old it came with the trailer and the trailer is 2012. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about how to run everything in the trailer and how to tow properly! I took it out on a few test runs to make sure everything worked but backing it up was a really hard task near impossible! My husband was allot better at it!
Anyways I know that one battery is 40 lbs so thats a little over 1/2 of the weight of the generator. but I'm also concerned about bringing fuel because I would like to use my gas can to help fill my gas tank. my tow vehicle only gets 10 miles per gallon and I've heard that filling up in Gerlach is a long wait. Last year we didn't try going to Gerlach to find out how crowded it really gets. And besides last year I hadn't been in ten years so back when I started going we didn't think twice about filling up in Gerlach. Is it really that hard to fill up there?
I'm just trying to cut as much weight as possible because we are new to towing! And I have always dreaded the last bit of 447.
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

louisacrystal

Post by louisacrystal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm really wishing that they would have sold me a solar panel instead of the generator. To late now, I've already forked out enough money into this trailer. And they always want to sell you the whole shop! That was a huge task unto itself trying to figure out what was really needed for the trailer and what was just fluff!

rmc50
Burning Since: 2013

Post by rmc50 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 pm

If you are really stingy on the lights it can last.

The refrigerator will use a small amount (control panel, interior light, etc). You probably have both a Propane detector and CO detector. The CO is almost nothing but the propane detector can pull a bit, which over a week's time can add up.

The water pump draws a lot, but only in short bursts.

Consider that most of you power will go to the lights. If you know the wattage of the LED lights you can calculate the approximate run time.

The standard deep cycle battery has a capacity of "100 amp-hours"
This means that you can draw 1 amp for 100 hours.
It would mean that you could draw 100 amps for one hour, but batteries have a major efficiency loss at higher current draws so you might only get 3/4 of an hour.

So, as an rough guess let's say you are running 50 watts worth of lights, which would draw 4.2 amps (watts = volts x amps). If you ran the lights for four hours a night you would draw 16.8 amp-hours. After 4 days you would have pulled 67 amp-hours from the battery. Given that there would be some efficiency loss and power to other things I would expect the battery to be about dead.

The good news is that you are half way through the week and still have two batteries.

It would be more efficient to have all three batteries connected at the same time. The distributed load would make each battery more efficient due to the reduced current from each battery. The down side is that you have no back up if the battery bank goes dead.

I recommend running the batteries one at a time, starting with the oldest. If it lasts four days you know you can use power more freely. On the other hand, if it dies after one day you know you need to seriously conserve.

Rod

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm

The batteries I'd consider bringing are those 12V 110AH deep cycle batteries, and those weigh 80lbs or so. You're not even supposed to drain them more than 50% if you care about them lasting long.

Really, you should do the math with the current and voltage your devices will drain. Otherwise, you can't really guess how long the battery will last.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:28 am

I have a Jayco 16', and one good deep cycle battery. a 110 AH, I think, new. I bought one of the solar panels, the 12" by 36" size, 15 amp, I believe. My interior lights are still incandescent, so my power use was the water pump and lighting. Coolers with ice, no fridge, as I don't think the energy draw/requirement is worth it. Plus hauling the weight of a fridge across the country outweighs the benefits. It is not even in the trailer. The solar panel kept up fine, I had not one issue all 8 days with the one battery. I had the backup option of starting the tow vehicle to recharge the trailer battery if needed. Do unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle to isolate the tow vehicle battery. Not so bad if the trailer was dead, but worse if the tow vehicle was out as well. I had a dead battery a few years ago out there, and was worried.....but, you are not on Mars, you have neighbors that are happy to help. Soon as I popped the hood of my vehicle, I had two neighbors coming over with solutions. (my numbers might be off, I am relying on memory here, and I am OLD... :D )
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:24 am

Trial runs!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 am

This will in no way help, since we have different trailers, different batteries (two 6volt golf cart batteries wired in series) different types of usage, different amp draws, etc. But to give you a real world example, in our huge ass trailer with 4 people, fridge, minimal light use, pump, and even running the radio sometimes, I had to charge the batteries twice during a week long stay out there. I probably could have gotten away with a single charge with the generator but since I had the generator, I figured what the hell.

In my opinion, if you have a generator (especially a quiet one) bring it. It's worth the piece of mind, plus you don't have to be the Electricity Dictator, aka the "Who Left The Fucking Light On??" guy.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:52 am

Cut back on battery power usage wherever you can. Don't use the lights! LEDs are less drain, but a drain, nevertheless. I use small battery-powered lanterns/headlamps for interior lighting. I don't run the water pump much...a quick Navy shower every other day, no dish washing (ever hear of paper and plastic?...no green preaching, please.)

I have one 12V battery and had 1/2 charge left at the end of 8 days. Used about 1/8 tank of propane...but did no interior cooking except for a cup of coffee or two daily. Did my cooking outside with my Coleman stove.

If you splurge and run down your battery, you can hook up to your tow vehicle and get a bit of a charge...takes longer, but in an emergency...

Check out info on using two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series...sounds counterintuitive, but they'll give ya more power over a longer period than two 12 volt batteries.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm

dragonpilot wrote:....no dish washing (ever hear of paper and plastic?...no green preaching, please.)
Exactly. To this point, we are testing out using plastic wrap wrapped over our plates and bowls. (Regular camping dishes, not paper because it's too flimsy.) It works well for most foods. No need to wash the plate and it reduces your trash considerably. Wadded up plastic wrap takes up way less room in your trash than paper plates.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

louisacrystal

Post by louisacrystal » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:17 pm

It's sounding more and more like it's not a one-size-fits-all. I think I'm leaning more towards just bring the generator its a Dometic LW3000 Plus
I'm not sure how loud it is. I haven't even put oil in it yet. All I do know is that it was not cheap and it it is heavy as hell. Probably could have gotten it cheaper if I hadn't purchased it from the dealership.

last year we did the saran wrap over it the dishes worked out pretty well, but I found it didn't work for everything, but definitely cut down on our dishwashing and who wants to wash dishes anyways!

louisacrystal

Post by louisacrystal » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm

skippy3k wrote:
In my opinion, if you have a generator (especially a quiet one) bring it. It's worth the piece of mind, plus you don't have to be the Electricity Dictator, aka the "Who Left The Fucking Light On??" guy.
I know it already sucks being the shower Dictator!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”