old ripped bedsheets as shadecloth

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
guerrillayogi
Burning Since: 2009

old ripped bedsheets as shadecloth

Post by guerrillayogi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 am

Our camp is way over budget! And although we have a dome, carport kitchen, and hexacastle (probably the most expensive item), our last budget meeting showed there's no money left.

Now is the time to repurpose existing crap to use on playa. (before was the time, but now is also the time)

In that vein, would be be idiotic to get a bunch of old bedsheets, tie them together, and rip several cuts in the material to prevent parachuting? The idea is to secure these to properly-staked EMT and existing structures to get a 10x12 (or larger) shaded area.

bring on the snark (with at least some useful tidbits of information)

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: old ripped bedsheets as shadecloth

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:37 am

If you decide to go that route, you'll probably want to "seal" the edges with extra-wide duct tape to prevent fraying and little strips of fabric MOOP.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 pm

A 10x12 silver tarp at harbor freight should be under $10.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 pm

If you want the sheet hobo effect, tie the corners together of several sheets and allow wind flow between sheets. The wind is gonna tear threw those ripped holes in cotton fabric, and run with it.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

MrBeardy
Burning Since: 2011

Post by MrBeardy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:50 pm

There is a camp out there somewhere every year I pass and they built an entire shade structure out of old shirts sewn together. It seems like a great easy and cheap idea and the neck holes act as a way for wind to pass. Much admiration to them!

bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 am

I thought about doing this, and then though, I would rather splurge on my shade and cut corners monetarily, elsewhere. So I'm bringing less food, cheaper food staples, and my own stuff I already have in the house. And, I bought a $80 EZ-UP tent to put over top of my 2 person Coleman tent. :coffee:

Is there somewhere else to cut corners and spend less?
~ Em

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:10 pm

The EZ up may prove that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

guerrillayogi
Burning Since: 2009

Post by guerrillayogi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 am

Lonesomebri wrote:If you want the sheet hobo effect, tie the corners together of several sheets and allow wind flow between sheets. The wind is gonna tear threw those ripped holes in cotton fabric, and run with it.
this is exactly what I was thinking. With each queen sheet being 7.5x8.5 and the 6 inches being used to tie corners together, 9 sheets can be used to make a 21x24 shade in a single plane, or smaller if the sheets are stretched down past the EMT poles towards the ground. And the best part is that I can probably source the sheets for free!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 am

guerrillayogi wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:If you want the sheet hobo effect, tie the corners together of several sheets and allow wind flow between sheets. The wind is gonna tear threw those ripped holes in cotton fabric, and run with it.
this is exactly what I was thinking. With each queen sheet being 7.5x8.5 and the 6 inches being used to tie corners together, 9 sheets can be used to make a 21x24 shade in a single plane, or smaller if the sheets are stretched down past the EMT poles towards the ground. And the best part is that I can probably source the sheets for free!
Or you could buy new ones with a decent thread count which won't be worn in any colour you want!

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Prove what? EZUP will be at half-up and secured down with rebar and ratchets <3 YMMV

I'd like to see the sheets tied together, I think that could work.
~ Em

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 am

EZ ups are not sturdy enough if it gets really windy. Rebar & ratchets as guy wires will help. That said, I've seen plenty of them survive up there in nicer weather. I also just watched 3 fail miserably up at the High Sierra Music fest in conditions that are just a normal day on the playa. And one was part of a vendor's set-up; vendors usually buy the better made ones, which cost a hell of a lot more than $80.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 am

I always think of EZ-UPs as kites. I suppose if they're guylined down in every direction they're probably okay though. I'd put some ratchets across the top-center though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 am

Is this sheet idea crazy? It seems so easy and cheap and fun and no one has seriously poopooed it yet... :shock:

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:31 am

bluemiragemi wrote:Prove what? EZUP will be at half-up and secured down with rebar and ratchets <3 YMMV
Just remember that the people giving you suggestions have already earned their "mileage" on the playa, which is why it may vary from yours. This is a very different beast than the camping the vast majority of people are used to, and the weather out there can destroy a camp (see this current thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69616&p=1022609#p1022609)

I did a couple things wrong my first year, even though the long-timers I went with suggested otherwise, because I'm a smart boy & figured they were being over cautious. I was wrong (mistake #1 - only bringing one pair of shoes). Personally I'd be rather worried if anyone camped near me had an ez up - it might survive a mild year, but there is no way to know if a year will be mild.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:19 am

Oh, please don't get me wrong, I'm here to LEARN and I haven't been to BRC yet. But, my campmates who have been have used EZ-UPs for awhile and this plan seemed to work so far, for them.

I am going in planning the best I can with my resources and I fully expect things to fail. That being said, better ideas are ALWAYS welcome! Sorry if I came off as not accepting advice - I do want it, Eric :) Good advice among the snark, absolutely exists on here.

Are there other low budget ideas for a small tent? Most pictures I see have EZ-UPs or go all the way with a hexayurt or other structure that I can't build/bring/afford this year.
Last edited by bluemiragemi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Em

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 am

Also, do people bring back-up shade structures, in case something like an EZ-Up fails? And thank you for the strap across the middle idea.
~ Em

remi

Post by remi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 am

Jovankat wrote:
guerrillayogi wrote:
Or you could buy new ones with a decent thread count which won't be worn in any colour you want!
The point is they're broke (have no camp budget left,) so I doubt they can afford a bunch of new colourful sheets. Instead of buying new decent thread count sheets, just get you old ones, and maybe look at a thrift store for cool kids ones with cartoons and stuff. Avoid pee stained sheets and you should be ok. As long as you don't use the sheets as a coffee filter, go for cheap.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

I have an ez-up (off-brand) that has won the playa during high wind years, and calm years. It can be done. You need to guywire both the frame and the cover at each corner. On the legs you need to drive rebar down next to each leg then attach the legs to the rebar. (I used multiple hose clamps, and rope wrap over that. Oh and the rebar is stupid long.) Then run a line (tow strap in my case) around the lactate, and anchor it down (I used my car) in case everything else fails, and the top snapped off the legs. Plus have a secondary connection for the cover to the frame. Do all of those things and you can hang tarps off it connected or loose to the ground. Plus (to get back on topic) bed sheets to fill the gaps. Sure it'll move, and shake a bit. But it'll stay up.

Personally never did the strap across the middle; that's a good idea.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:52 pm

One year we used an old Costco carport frame, didn't have the cover so we made one out of old sheets from the thrift store. Sheets are very thin and tear much easier than tarps and shade cloth... Ours ended in tatters by the end of the week. Was 2011, don't remember any insane winds either. That year in camp we also had an ez-up frame with the top made out of India cloth tapestrys sewn together with gaps in the stitching to allow wind through. The India cloth thing held up much better...

Ymmv.

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Easy shelter for a small tent? http://www.softcom.net/users/rocksci/bm ... rp_designs

Use your car as a windbreak. Set up tent next to car. Make a lean-to with a tarp. Secure very well.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm

Small monkey hut. Cheaper than an EZ Up too.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 am

C187 wrote:I have an ez-up (off-brand) that has won the playa during high wind years, and calm years. It can be done. You need to guywire both the frame and the cover at each corner. On the legs you need to drive rebar down next to each leg then attach the legs to the rebar. (I used multiple hose clamps, and rope wrap over that. Oh and the rebar is stupid long.) Then run a line (tow strap in my case) around the lactate, and anchor it down (I used my car) in case everything else fails, and the top snapped off the legs. Plus have a secondary connection for the cover to the frame. Do all of those things and you can hang tarps off it connected or loose to the ground. Plus (to get back on topic) bed sheets to fill the gaps. Sure it'll move, and shake a bit. But it'll stay up.

Personally never did the strap across the middle; that's a good idea.
Thanks for the ideas on how to strap it down! It sounds like that is KEY with something like an EZ-UP.

If I had a car there, I think the tarp to tent idea would be fantastic.
~ Em

Riv

Post by Riv » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 am

My one thought on the bedsheets idea is that I think (from what I remember of blanket fort construction) tying knots in the corners generally leaves more slack in the center, turning them into scoops/sails. You may want to investigate a workaround to get them flat--either a way to take the slack out of the middle by gathering it up somehow, or maybe sewing some kind of strap to each corner?

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 am

Riv wrote:(from what I remember of blanket fort construction)
This is the best thing ever, and yeah, now that you mention it, I can see that happening.

Metorks

Post by Metorks » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

Riv wrote:My one thought on the bedsheets idea is that I think (from what I remember of blanket fort construction) tying knots in the corners generally leaves more slack in the center, turning them into scoops/sails. You may want to investigate a workaround to get them flat--either a way to take the slack out of the middle by gathering it up somehow, or maybe sewing some kind of strap to each corner?
Pull the corners through a hose clamp and crank down tight. The knots will be eliminated and the centers of the sheets should be taut, leaving some slack around the edges.
I think there should be something in science called the "reindeer effect." I don't know what it would be, but I think it'd be good to hear someone say, "Gentlemen, what we have here is a terrifying example of the reindeer effect.
Jack Handy

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 am

You can also use tarp clips and bungee cords, give it a little flex.

Anarquistador

Post by Anarquistador » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 am

Curious if you tried this in the end, as I was thinking of trying a similar thing at a regional burn with less windy weather.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”