Need help with large shade structure for multiple yurts.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Funkfish
Burning Since: 2012

Need help with large shade structure for multiple yurts.

Post by Funkfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

So I know there are many posts on here about shade structures, but I'm having a hard time finding what I need and this is new territory for me so I'm hoping someone could lend a hand.

I'm looking to build a large shade structure for our camp. Essentially I'm trying to make a shaded area that will go over our yurts and tents. Our camp consists of about 60 people and there will be anywhere from 10-15 yurts based off of the standard yurt design that's been floating around. This is a rough layout of how the camp will be:

The shade structure I'm trying to build resembles this design:

I've found a few articles online about how to build this. However they weren't 100% clear on some things.

1. Does anyone have solid plans/instructions for this design. (no idea what length/width tubing, what to use to tether to ground etc)
2. What size should each section of shade cloth be? I can order it as small as 5x5ft and 100x100ft It seems 20x20ft strips are the most cost effective.
3. What is a good place to source this stuff? Our camp is based in NYC but we have some camp members in reno preparing.
4. Any other general tips or helpful info would be great.
Last edited by Funkfish on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchyourfeet
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Need help with large shade structure for multiple yurts.

Post by watchyourfeet » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about Hexayurts. Why do you need shade over Hexayurts?

Funkfish

Post by Funkfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Haha I knew someone was going to ask this. They still get super hot during the day, just not as bad as a tent. A friends camp had shade over their yurts and they were super comfortable all week. Also not everyone will have a hexayurt. This is just a general 'sleeping shaded area' we're trying to build. Hence why it needs to be large.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 pm

IMO, you're out of your mind to try and build a structure of that size without a lot of playa shade building experience under your belt. You should be recruiting experienced shade-builders from within your camp's ranks. If you don't have it, scale the project down signficantly. Bigger structures not only carry significant financial expense, but larger risk of injury and damage if (or when) a poorly designed or installed structure fails.

Funkfish

Post by Funkfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 pm

I knew someone would mention this too. We have other people in the group that are builders and engineers. I'm just the only one that cares enough to take the initiative to get the ball rolling.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Hooray for initiative, but you're still doing it wrong. Take the initiative with the builders and engineers (ie the people doing the work and who are responsible for the structure's safety) in your camp. If they don't already have a clear idea of what to do, scale it back.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:16 pm

I would recommend Gothic Arch Greenhouse. I have bought shade cloth from them, not the frame, but they have the frame.

Some other smart commenters have preferred suppliers for the joints only, with the pipe purchased local Reno. Calculate transport to the playa weight and dimensions.

70% Aluminet, what I recommend, catches wind. Some use polyester mesh shade cloth which is cheaper. It too catches wind.

I have seen footpads weighted and staked on these structures on playa. You can stake with 12" hot galvanized gutter nails. Guy lines around sides and corners!

Suggest 1 5/8 - 1 3/4 galvanized fence pipe.

Where pipe slips in a sleeve, there should be a drilled through bolt/pin, not a pointy screw making a dimple to hold it together.

10x20, edged and grommeted with ball bungies is ideal. A 20x20 section of shade cloth may sag in the middle. a good excuse for crossing the area between posts in a tensegrity structure with rope or wire rope.

If you look on last year's satellite photo, you can see these structures and with a little work contact those camps.

In your original drawing, which is different from the photo, I would not support that span of shade cloth - look at the design of the center camp shade structure that has been improved after being blown down. I would strongly not suggest anchoring your shade to a dome unless it has been engineered by a structural engineer for the specific forces in line with wind speeds.

A quality shade structure as shown in your photo, stored/delivered in Reno will have rental/resale value as long as the event continues, and for agricultural use after.

The time to order and get delivered edged and grommeted shade cloth and parts before the event is very, very short as of today.

But you are doing a great job at preparation, carry on!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Funkfish

Post by Funkfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Wow great post, thanks for the help. Also out of curiosity what would you estimate the ball park price for this project would be? Also do you think it would be significantly cheaper if we started with a more affordable shade cloth, then upgraded to aluminet next year?

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Gothic Arch has prices on their website and can help on the phone.

Of course with our little carbon/coal/petrol problem, we are all going to be living under shadecloths!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 pm

A side tip, whatever size and configuration you decide, plan for it to be modular and modify-able on site. Don't build it to be assembled only one way or one specific configuration, because chances are great you won't end up with the exact footprint or configuration that you estimated. (Even if you have a placed camp, but especially if you don't). Maybe multiple smaller shade structures would be better?
Agreed 1000% that it's getting kind of late to be in the concept-phase though! Best of luck, get moving on it this weekend, tick tock....

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:23 am

One more option: Why not just cool the yurts with either swamp coolers or air conditioners and build your (not necessary to be so large anymore) shade structure adjacent to them? You can have those in tents build their own shade or have a smaller shaded area for them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:39 pm

jkisha wrote:One more option: Why not just cool the yurts with either swamp coolers or air conditioners and build your (not necessary to be so large anymore) shade structure adjacent to them? You can have those in tents build their own shade or have a smaller shaded area for them.
I sorta thought that as well...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Here are excellent and complete plans for your desired style of shade structure.
http://t.co/xkZRh5hMgS
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:13 pm

So you basically want to recreate Center Camp on your lonesome.

Good luck with that.

I really don't understand the motivation on something so grand that will have relatively low payoff.

The only time I've seen this kind of effort pay off was Xara, and that was extra super special while it lasted.

By the second Monday, none of your campers will give a rats ass if they got an extra hour of Zzzzz mid week on acount of the awesome shade.

Build a decent shade area of modest size, get some loungers for naps and whatnot and make it a nice social hub.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”