Border between public and private in theme camp

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
smil1473
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Don't Panic

Border between public and private in theme camp

Post by smil1473 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to divide between our public facing camp and our private "back of house" camp. We'll have a fairly large space on the street that will be pretty much all flow space. Our camping will be mostly in the far back corner. As it is dedicated to spinning, we won't have shade structures which can provide supports for a "wall" of some sort for the grand majority of the space.

If any of you veterans have any suggestions for an attractive solution, I am open. My thought process currently is to built a sort of fence with posts every 10 feet or so, with fabric stretched between them. Wouldn't be over 10 ft high, but also not sure how short it would go. This is our first year as a placed camp.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Don't Panic!

smil1473

Re: Border between public and private in theme camp

Post by smil1473 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Also just thought of those reed fences you can get at the big hardware stores. Does anyone have experience with those on the playa?

Thanks again!
Don't Panic!

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Park cars to make a visual and physical barrier between public and private space?

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:07 pm

smil1473 wrote:Also just thought of those reed fences you can get at the big hardware stores. Does anyone have experience with those on the playa?

Thanks again!
I think that stuff would break and moop a little too easily.

I like your idea of the fabric fence. Are you trying to just designate a division or actually block the view? If you are just trying to divide the area, then I would say t stakes, fabric and whatever else you want to decorate it with.

And as AF said above vehicle make a good physical and visual barrier as well.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 pm

From my experience with reed fencing, it would cause more of Moop problem than you will wish to deal with.

The first light wind and it will disintegrate into millions of pieces.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:30 pm

AfricanFire wrote:Park cars to make a visual and physical barrier between public and private space?
This along with making "walls" with other things, like tents. Just face them into your private area. Place sign at opening.

Random thought.. cut down some EMT to three feet, stick it on rebar, and take a bit of rope around them.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to Shelter & Camping, since that's a better fit for general preparation questions about camp organization.

It's difficult to say.. you say the front of house area is all flow space. What's that - to me that sounds like a big open area. And the area behind doesn't really have any structures, it's just tents under the sun?

Normally, I'd suggest building something, but it seems a bit weird if it's the only structure you've got going on. I'd consider maybe having a line of cars/trucks, and you can maybe art that up a little bit. Along the lines of a fence, but with the vehicles behind them you'll have something you can anchor that stuff to. Rather than stretching fabric, I'd say get untreated canvas (so many cheap fabrics are highly flammable). Then see if anyone in camp can (and is interested) in swinging a brush and maybe decorating the canvas sections. Even if it's just abstract or solid colors, it makes for a nice visual barrier. Good luck!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:00 pm

I carry a roll of trash fence.. Cut in half makes 100ft. 18 inches high.. It smashes down for transport... Have had to use it a couple of times.. other times it gets a ride to and from BM..One year I needed a ally to turn the MV around.. Another year to keep people from walking through my kitchen.. Three foot rebar is good to hold it..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Make it obviously a "backstage," so to speak. If you have chairs in the main public area, face them away from where your tents are. Don't face your tents towards your open "public" space.

My first year, I was hanging out in a majorly-trafficked theme camp. I was seeing if there was room for a workshop... There wasn't. Well, there was a road that headed out to the main street, and that street was where I wanted to go... but it also was apparently the backstage sleeping-tent pathway-area for this camp. Cue a very loud and angry person ranting at me for walking through their private area. I could plainly see an open walkway from the dome that had a massive monkey chant going on fifteen feet away, but right here, out in the open, with a well-beaten path leading to it, no fencing, and no indication of it being private... was supposed to be private. Everything was opening directly towards the apparent public space, and everything flowed mighty easily. It felt like one big open space... so, avoid that, I'm thinking.

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

More importantly - Spinning? Flow you say?
Have you guys gotten placement yet? Would love to stop by, say hey and maybe learn a thing or two (or just observe the awesomeness). :)
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

smil1473

Post by smil1473 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the reed fencing. I wasn't sure how it would hold up based on reviewers who had only used it in their backyards.

As our layout is right now, we have cars lining the "back wall" of the flow space. I just want to try and figure out an attractive cover so that when folks come for flow, they aren't staring at cars. One of our big drivers of how we are laying out is having clear designation between private and public.

And yes, Fidget, we have gotten placed. Look for Don't Panic on 5:40 and I! We'll have flow workshops and even a Tutu workshop on Tuesday!

Thanks again!!
Don't Panic!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 pm

You could make 2-dimensional monkeyhut. Rebar pounded at such an angle that your chosen diameter of PVC makes an arch of the desired height and width. By overlapping the arches you could make a decorative yet insubstantial wall. Put lights on it if you want.

Fan C
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Post by Fan C » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 pm

maladroit wrote:You could make 2-dimensional monkeyhut. Rebar pounded at such an angle that your chosen diameter of PVC makes an arch of the desired height and width. By overlapping the arches you could make a decorative yet insubstantial wall. Put lights on it if you want.

hey I like that idea!

smil1473

Post by smil1473 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 am

Fan C wrote:
maladroit wrote:You could make 2-dimensional monkeyhut. Rebar pounded at such an angle that your chosen diameter of PVC makes an arch of the desired height and width. By overlapping the arches you could make a decorative yet insubstantial wall. Put lights on it if you want.

hey I like that idea!

Me too!! Even if it doesn't get done this year, I think that is certainly on the list for the regional in October
Don't Panic!

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Awesome! That's a block from where we camped last year! I'll definitely come 'round!
smil1473 wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the reed fencing. I wasn't sure how it would hold up based on reviewers who had only used it in their backyards.

As our layout is right now, we have cars lining the "back wall" of the flow space. I just want to try and figure out an attractive cover so that when folks come for flow, they aren't staring at cars. One of our big drivers of how we are laying out is having clear designation between private and public.

And yes, Fidget, we have gotten placed. Look for Don't Panic on 5:40 and I! We'll have flow workshops and even a Tutu workshop on Tuesday!

Thanks again!!
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mosquito
Burning Since: 2015

Post by mosquito » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 am

Beautiful, maladroit!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”