Building Camp Showers!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
mdjgutie
Burning Since: 2001

Building Camp Showers!

Post by mdjgutie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Hello! I'm looking for information on building shower(s) for our camp. We are interested in some wooden frame sorta things to hang solar shower bags from, the grey water we'd want to pump into a big renta-container. We have power, so I was assuming a standard pond pump would work with a filter to keep the ick out of the workings. Any tips?

2WheelGuy
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp Neu Verboten

Re: Building Camp Showers!

Post by 2WheelGuy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

May I suggest an automatic sump pump powered by 12 volt battery. If shower is placed above a wading pool to catch shower greywater, the pump only turns when greywater is present.

I'm building a graywater evaporation system using a Sahara S500; cost of pump is $42 at Manventure Outpost
Living life on the road, going where the weather suits my clothes.....

mdjgutie
Burning Since: 2001

Post by mdjgutie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:42 am

Sump pump! I vaguely remembered something that would turn on and off automatically, but would never have come up with it on my own. Thank you! I'll have to put that on the shopping list for our camp.

2WheelGuy
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp Neu Verboten

Post by 2WheelGuy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:36 am

Sump pump details: Attwood Sahara S500, 12-Volt

Includes pump, wire, seals, strainer, and mercury-free switch –and installs quickly and easily in tight spaces. Pumps include 36” lengths of 16-gauge caulked and tinned copper wire. 500 GPH* at open flow, 350 GPH* at 3.3’ head. Draws only 1.5-amps at open flow
Living life on the road, going where the weather suits my clothes.....

nixiebunny

Post by nixiebunny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 am

I'm doing some work on that this year. I think the sump pump is a fine idea. I have used small bilge pumps with good results. They are the same thing but without the fancy level switch.

I made a timer circuit board that I use to run my pumps either for a low duty cycle (e.g. for solar water heater) or for a set time when a button is pushed (to empty a bucket). Running a pump for 30 seconds every 5 minutes saves a lot of power if you're running on a small solar panel.

I found that a lot of hot water may be had readily by using a 100 foot coil of irrigation tubing as a solar heater, cycling the water in a 5 gallon bottle through it with occasional pumping. I use a little submersible pump and my timer circuit.

For evaporation, I use that cooler pad media that's available in dry hot places like Tucson where I live. A bilge pump on a low-duty timer circulates the water over the pad. It needs a frame of some sort - I'm going to mount it in a mortar mixing tub this year.

Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap is best for low crud in your greywater.
--David Forbes

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”