Large monkey hut to shade a pop-up camper - Good idea or no?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Metorks
Burning Since: 2014

Large monkey hut to shade a pop-up camper - Good idea or no?

Post by Metorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 pm

My wife and I are popping our Burning Man cherries this year.

After a lot of hemming and hawing trying to decide whether to pitch a tent under a monkey hut, build a hexayurt, or just bring our vintage 1991 pop-up camper; we're starting to settle on the idea of the pop-up. I'm going to rig up some sort of shade over the pop-up to keep the heat down, and I've got a couple of ideas. Right now, I'm strongly considering building a 20' x 30' monkey hut (18' x 20' footprint) to go over the entire pop-up. It'll fasten to the ground on the 20' side, and arch over with the 30' length. That means I'll need 30' ribs, with spines 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across. I don't think that this will be too terribly hard to construct and erect, and I think that we'll be able to anchor the top of the hut to the roof of the camper to keep the structure that much more secure.

Am I setting myself up for failure with this, or will it hold up to the rigors of the playa?

If it won't work, my Plan B is to use bubble foil in the windows and stuff some r-max insulation panels under the canvas roofs over the bunk ends. And maybe drape and anchor a shade cloth over the southern exposure. I can put an awning on the front, but I'm concerned that that'll get ripped off, or just flap too much.

Thanks,
- K
I think there should be something in science called the "reindeer effect." I don't know what it would be, but I think it'd be good to hear someone say, "Gentlemen, what we have here is a terrifying example of the reindeer effect.
Jack Handy

Jackass

Re: Large monkey hut to shade a pop-up camper - Good idea or

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:31 pm

P.S. Use the reflective stuff too.
Burningman2012 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Probably a lot cheaper to do the foil on the windows and r-max the entire roof and secure it with a couple ratchet straps...

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:48 pm

My monkey hut will have foot print of 15 long X 17 wide over the van and open rear hatch.. I will be using 5 ft. sections across the van roof.. Then ten footers down to the ground.. It will be depending on the van roof to hold it up if needed.. Still using reflective on the windows.. I could using a smaller tarp.. Like only cover the top and down part of the sides.. More air flow.. Oh! adding stops in the 5 ft sections over the roof.. So the up rights only go in about 12 or 16 inches
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Metorks

Post by Metorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks Jackass. That's a pretty impressive setup you've got there. I'm going to remodel this trailer in the fall, and I think I'll look into putting together an EMT shade structure then. Does it all fit inside the popup? Also, how long does it take you to set up?

Monkeystyle, the cost will be about the same either way. I've got a coupon for a 20x30 heavy duty silver tarp from Harbor Freight for $50, and the PVC and the rest should come in at just under $100. The Reflectix and the R-Max is gonna cost me about $120. Mainly I'm thinking the monkey hut would be fun to build, look great, and provide some decent shade. It should also do a decent job of keeping the wind from broadsiding the trailer--if it holds up, that is.
I think there should be something in science called the "reindeer effect." I don't know what it would be, but I think it'd be good to hear someone say, "Gentlemen, what we have here is a terrifying example of the reindeer effect.
Jack Handy

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Yes, shade structure poles, tarps and rigging all fit inside the camper. 3 poles are 10', the rest are shorter.

The twelve legged version with all the fixings, takes the better part of the day to set up (maybe longer). It takes a lot longer than if I did it here at home, that's for sure. When I start by marking the ground and setting all of my rebar, the only immediate shade available (besides the oven like trailer) is in the shadow of a campmates rv. When you start getting dizzy from swinging the hammer and the beer stops tasting good, you just need to sit yer ass down in the shade, drink some pedialyte and wait for things to get better.

Metorks

Post by Metorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm

I hear that! So do the EMT feet sit over a protruding rebar? Just wondering how it's all anchored to the ground.
Jack Handy

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes, each leg slides over rebar. I drilled holes and welded nuts over them for a set screw. Pipe slides over rebar, set screw pinches rebar inside pipe, keeping said pipe fixed to rebar.

Keeps it from lifting off and keeps the legs from "walking" around.

More legs= more stability and anchor points

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Wasn't there just a thread where the board talked some guy out of building a giant monkey hut? Something about arithmatic scaling up of poles and geometric increase of forces? Bbadger was very emphatic...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Metorks

Post by Metorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Jackass, that's fantastic! I'll have to give that a go sometime.

Crypto, I did a search of the board before I posted, but I must have missed that. I'll be able to anchor the top of the arch to the top of the pop-up, so my thought is that it'll be even more secure than the average hut. I'll have to dig into the board and see if I can locate the post you're thinking of. Might be good to read before I dive into this project.
Jack Handy

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Metorks

Post by Metorks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:26 pm

Lol, I went and found it straight away. Thanks for the help though.

The hut they're talking about is for times the size of what I'm looking to do, and the photo FIGJAM posted goes me hope.

Since this is for shade mostly, and wind block secondly, I'm thinking that we may cut some coffee can-sized flaps into the sidewalks so that the force from the wind isn't as great. And I'm going to cut some vents into the top to let the heat out. Other than that, I'm thinking it'll do fine.

I like the OPs idea with the ropes crossing the segments, so we may adopt that.
Jack Handy

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”