First Time UK Burner: What should I sleep in?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Gparis
Burning Since: 2014

First Time UK Burner: What should I sleep in?

Post by Gparis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a late comer to the Burning Man this year but can't wait for it as it is my first. My girlfriend and I will be travelling from the UK and arriving approx/ 1 week before the festival. We are going to rent a vehicle and plan on camping, whilst probably purchasing gear in the US as opposed to flying it out to the US. Just so we avoid any rookie errors I wondered if people had any recommendations as to what kind of tent and shade structure would be the best for us to bring?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: First Time UK Burner: What should I sleep in?

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Perhaps try the Tent Questions thread to get started. There are many schools of thoughts on tents. I used a basic dome my first 4 Burns and covered the mesh. Spring clamps and fleece fabric are the fastest route to covering mesh. These days I prefer a nylon wigwam I can stand up in.

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=54644

If you rent a cargo van, you can fit the parts for a monkey hut inside if you lay the poles diagonally. You could order stuff via Home Depot in Reno, or similar and see if they'll hold it for you to pick up. Monkey huts are pretty easy, but you won't get a test run if you're flying in, so make sure to study the plans and bring em with you.

You can put a small dome tent under a monkey hut. If your tent's too tall, you can move into the shade after 7:30am/8:00am when the heat will awaken you.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm

What should you sleep in? The nude. Duh.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm

I was going to say "your skin". Doc Pyro beat me to it although mine sounds creepier
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Generally first timers are advised to sleep in the back of Doc's RV, no?

In all seriousness, though, it depends on what kind of vehicle you're taking. If it's a cargo van or an SUV you might be able to swing a monkey hut (requires 10' long poles) for your shade. That's the simplest, most bang-for-your-buck, last-minute option to house a tent of your choosing.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”