My Playa Shower

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

My Playa Shower

Post by Hoolie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 pm

I always enjoy seeing other people's shower creations, so here's mine. It is a design I've been modifying and improving over the years.

These items make up the frame. The floor is made from a wooden pallet with some extra slats added. All the wood has been sanded down to prevent splinters. Rolled up are the PVC uprights and canvas walls. Then there is the PVC top frame.

To assemble, I simply unroll the walls, place the uprights into the PVC attachments on the floor, then put the top frame on. I use a rubber mallet to bang the PVC pieces together.

Then up top, I slip on the upright post that holds the solar bag. There is a hook attached to the post for bag hanging. I've reinforced this upper part of the frame with PVC glue and/or bolts so the weight of the solar bag doesn't cause the PVC pieces to slip.

Here is an older shot of the setup on the playa.

As you can see, the shower just "sits" in an evap pond and is held down by guylines. The guylines hold the shower well, but if the winds ever get really strong, I just slide the shower walls to the side and bungee them to the uprights.

The evap pond is a simple frame of 2x4s nailed together and black plastic sheeting attached with a staple gun. The trick to making evap ponds work is to keep the water in a thin layer as opposed to letting it collect into "deep" pools. Using an old broom to periodically sweep the graywater over the full surface of the evap pond really helps to accelerate evaporation.

I used to attach the front shower curtain to the PVC frame with zip ties. Now I've just added another rope and ran it right through the curtain grommets. Also, I used to use old bedsheets for the walls. They got sort of nasty after a few years, so I made some new ones with some lightweight canvas I had on hand. The idea behind using cotton fabric is to absorb some of the water and let it evaporate off the walls instead of adding it to the evap pond.

Lastly, a doormat is helpful for keeping playa dust off of wet feet, and the PVC frame makes it easy to add other convenience items like towel hooks.

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Re: My Playa Shower

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Simple. Functional. Portable.

Nicely done.
I like eggs.

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks Doc!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Looks good.
Nothing like good ol Yankee enginenuity.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Nice, but I thought it was going to be you taking a shower...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Very nice. Our camp has a similar shower stall and we used a plastic pallet. It works quite well.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:Nice, but I thought it was going to be you taking a shower...
That will be the next installment.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:25 pm

:lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 pm

TT120 wrote:Very nice. Our camp has a similar shower stall and we used a plastic pallet. It works quite well.
Cool. Any pics?

Fan C
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Post by Fan C » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

lucky420 wrote:Nice, but I thought it was going to be you taking a shower...

yeah isn't that sort an unwritten rule? I you're gonna post pic's of a playa shower it should be occupied.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:09 pm

What diameter PVC did you use? I'm guessing 1.5 or 2" for structural stability? I've been using the same idea but with wood, and the pallet floor is GREAT, we even make a little bridge of them to house a 'dry off' area. I'm liking your idea of PVC though. Putting up and taking down time would be much simplier! :mrgreen:

TT120

Post by TT120 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Hoolie wrote:
TT120 wrote:Very nice. Our camp has a similar shower stall and we used a plastic pallet. It works quite well.
Cool. Any pics?
Sorry, I don't. I'll get some this year though.
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Gunslinger wrote:What diameter PVC did you use? I'm guessing 1.5 or 2" for structural stability?
It's been years since I built it, but I think it's 1.5" PVC. I chose that size simply because I already had some on hand, but it seems to work well. It's plenty sturdy. No need to go to a larger diameter for this purpose, and you could probably even go a little smaller.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:48 pm

What sort of fabric did you use for the walls and front curtain?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:06 pm

jkisha wrote:What sort of fabric did you use for the walls and front curtain?
I used to use old bedsheets for the walls. They got sort of nasty after a few years, so I made some new walls with some lightweight canvas I had on hand (seen in the top three photos). The idea behind using cotton fabric is to absorb some of the water and let it evaporate off the walls instead of adding it to the evap pond. The front curtain is a cheap shower curtain liner.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:32 pm

One more quick question. What did you use for those small pieces you screwed to the pallet? I thought they might be end caps, but can't find them at home depot.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 am

jkisha wrote:One more quick question. What did you use for those small pieces you screwed to the pallet?
Yeah, I had to special order those online.
http://pvcfittingsdirect.com/

Schedule 40 Specific Fittings:
https://pvcfittingsdirect.com/pvc-fittings-schedule-40/

Here are end caps, "flat and domed." You'd want flat so it will be flush with the pallet.
http://pvcfittingsdirect.com/cap-slip-f ... t=priceasc

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks again. I see that shipping is about 5 times the cost of the 4 caps. :shock: But at least I know where to get them.

We actually have a similar shower, but we used the same configuration at the bottom and the top and the whole unit fits into the wooden base. I just thought your setup was a bit more elegant. Also, we draped shower curtain liners on all four sides using the standard plastic hooks I think we got from Bed, Bath and Beyond, but hung them all from the top poles. I really like how you handled the shower curtains much much better. I'll be changing my design to match yours for next year.
JK

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:56 pm

jkisha wrote:Thanks again. I see that shipping is about 5 times the cost of the 4 caps. :shock: But at least I know where to get them.
Wow, I'm sure I didn't pay that much for shipping. This was some years ago though. Maybe try searching for another vendor via google or ebay. I have the best luck by searching "PVC fittings" or maybe try "PVC end cap flat."
jkisha wrote:We actually have a similar shower, but we used the same configuration at the bottom and the top and the whole unit fits into the wooden base. I just thought your setup was a bit more elegant. Also, we draped shower curtain liners on all four sides using the standard plastic hooks I think we got from Bed, Bath and Beyond, but hung them all from the top poles. I really like how you handled the shower curtains much much better. I'll be changing my design to match yours for next year.
Yes, the rope running thru the wall sleeves top and bottom really locks them into place, so wind isn't an issue when showering. The front curtain can still blow around, but it's sort of optional anyway, so if it's breezy I just bungee it to the upright. I keep small bungee cords wrapped around the uprights for this purpose. You can just see them in the photos above. Also, our camp routine is to shower right before sunset, and the winds are often fairly calm during this time period.
Last edited by Hoolie on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Bah. Dupe post.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 pm

I wasn't even thinking about the wind, I just really liked the engineering. Now I'm even more impressed. We have a two room Yurt and the shower is in the one with 6' walls. (Complete with instant hot water. ;) ) Consequently, we never have to worry about wind or the time of day or night we might want to shower.
JK

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:07 pm

jkisha wrote:I wasn't even thinking about the wind, I just really liked the engineering. Now I'm even more impressed.
Cool!
jkisha wrote:We have a two room Yurt and the shower is in the one with 6' walls. (Complete with instant hot water. ;) ) Consequently, we never have to worry about wind or the time of day or night we might want to shower.
Sounds luxurious. Any pics?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:32 pm

No, but I'll be sure to take some this year and post them; I'm actually going to be setting it up and testing it in the next few days, I'll try to remember to snap a couple of pics then.
JK

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:03 pm

OK. Here is my Playa shower. The bin at the bottom slides out to be emptied into the Evapotron. The ground supports are held on place with 14" lag bolts.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:09 pm

As a newbie, I have to say that suddenly my spray bottle is looking woefully inadequate.

Hoolie

Post by Hoolie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Roundabout wrote:OK. Here is my Playa shower. The bin at the bottom slides out to be emptied into the Evapotron. The ground supports are held on place with 14" lag bolts.
Looks great, roundabout. I really wish mine had some color. Using materials on hand is cheaper and environmentally friendly, but it can limit your options. I suppose if I were ever motivated enough, I could tie-dye the fabric walls or something.
Netty58 wrote:As a newbie, I have to say that suddenly my spray bottle is looking woefully inadequate.
Hey, it's better than nothing. I'd suggest supplementing it with a big box of unscented baby wipes. Just wiping yourself down from head to toe is surprisingly effective. Follow up with moisturizer.

Doctor VonBacon

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:44 pm

How did your shower do in a real-world test?
I like eggs.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I don't like evap ponds and haul all the grey water back in the same containers I brought the water in (yeah, I clean the heck out of them when home)
I only need to pump out the water (marine bilge pump) three or four times as all paint buckets hold 14 gallons when full.

The whole build is at https://picasaweb.google.com/1120958970 ... werSystem#
shower 1.JPG
shower 3.JPG
shower 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TT120

Post by TT120 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Here is our camps shower and evap pond. We had 47 people in our camp and it was dry every evening. It worked very well. Even with all the rain it collected on Monday, we never had any issues evaporating the water.

W6BJD

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Bad photo link TT120. Is the pic in a password protected account?
JK

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”