My Playa Shower

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: My Playa Shower

Post by Jovankat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I see it fine..

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Jovankat wrote:I see it fine..
Interesting. I even copied the direct link into my address bar and can't see it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:45 am

It's in a public photobucket account.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks. Today I can see it just fine. Another interweb mystery.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 am

the only flaw i see is it's only really big enough for one and i am sure the rules say showers on playa should be for 2 whenever possible. Also i think a pump sprayer is far more....interesting
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:38 am

Hoolie.
How did you attatch the 2" or so fittings to the pallet? I see bolts but that's about it.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 am

Hoolie,

Have you ever thought about making the side walls so that the fabric hangs down into the evap pond to soak up water and help evaporate it in the wind?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:36 am

Yuk! That would be gross.
JK

FreePeacelove
Burning Since: 2013

Post by FreePeacelove » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:52 am

nice showers. I am looking forward to use them in 2015 BM :D

great ideas!
Twain: We have the best government that money can buy.

Churchill: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 am

TT120 wrote:Here is our camps shower and evap pond. We had 47 people in our camp and it was dry every evening. It worked very well. Even with all the rain it collected on Monday, we never had any issues evaporating the water.
I was in this camp (Hi Bill!) and it did work very well. If all 47 of us were showering every day I think it might have been harder to evaporate everything. I frequently used the broom to spread the water around because it naturally would go into puddles leaving much of the tarp surface dry. Another thing about these ponds is you have to keep an eye on them. People in our camp or neighboring camps began putting food waste in which needs to be stopped as soon as possible. Also some camps have problems with neighbors contributing their water to the pond - we didn't this year.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

jfeaz
Burning Since: 2010

Post by jfeaz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:12 am

@Hoolie, just wanted to thank you for posting this great design. I bought all the parts today for my own 4' x 4' copy!

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 am

For anyone who plans on using a shower in a bucket type enclosure, this portable shower is available. No clue how long the battery lasts or how well it holds up to the playa, but it does seem like a useful option.

I am pretty sure I will just use a soapy hand towel most of the time. Need to discuss with my friend going with me if she needs more capabilities.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:50 pm

rideincircles wrote:For anyone who plans on using a shower in a bucket type enclosure, this portable shower is available. No clue how long the battery lasts or how well it holds up to the playa, but it does seem like a useful option.

I am pretty sure I will just use a soapy hand towel most of the time. Need to discuss with my friend going with me if she needs more capabilities.
I purchased one of these a couple weeks ago and we have been taking showers on the front porch. The hubs and I can both shower using two +/- without hurrying too much. Shower down, turn it off, soap up, then rinse. Battery has made it through six (dual) showers. Buddy showering is always best :D I bought a bucket heater but I think that was a bit of overkill. You can just heat water on your camp stove as needed just as easily.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:27 pm

geez, 2 +/- gallons.
If we try hard we can get it down to 1 1/2
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Weebdog
Camp Name: Paper Cranes

Post by Weebdog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 pm

you can use a solar shower bag to heat your water. No stove needed!
Run Silent - Run Deep

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 am

Finished.

I used left over cedar planks and 2 x 4's from my garden fence to make the base. 1 1/2" PVC and eye bolts I had from another project. I purchased fleece for the sides for only $11 - using 50% off coupon at JoAnne's. I'm concerned about stretch, but this material is so absorbent I figured it would tighten back up after drying in the sun.

Of course an evaporation pool will be added; I plan to try one of the suggestions of placing old towels on the bottom to collect the water and then secure them across the tie down lines over the evap pool to dry and to wick the rest of the water out.
Plan on placing an 8 x 4 evap pool.

Pretty excited thanks for all the awesome pictures and inspiration!

See you soon! Flint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Flint, that's very similar to our shower setup--great minds must think alike--a few tips we learned:
the cloth-absorbent shower curtain is smart, better than a plastic curtain; the fabric absorbs a lot of the shower water anyway and automatically evaporates it, so it serves a dual purpose.
The constant wind and vibration caused our PVC connectors to pop out several times a day, even when they seemed stuck in tight. I didn't want to glue them together b/c we wanted to be able to disassemble and re-use the shower kit. So, we drilled a hole thru the corner joints (capturing the PVC connector and the tube) and threaded a zip tie through the hole, to keep the pieces connected temporarily. You could also use a sheet metal screw and just drill thru the corner joints to lock the connectors and tubes together. Looks like you have eye bolts at the bottom, is that for stakes? Do the eye bolts also pierce the PVC poles and keep them from being pulled up and out? You'll need something to hold the whole structure to the playa because those curtains flapping around will try to tip it over. We used a few stakes thru the base and a guywire over the top. Good luck.
(I'm going to steal your eyebolt design for the curtains, but I'll add a dog-leash clip to each corner--so if the wind gets too crazy, I can unclip them quickly and break it down. )

Flint2
Camp Name: Camp yes, please.

Post by Flint2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 am

asr9754 - for sure we'll be staking it down. I had the eye bolts, so we figured out how to incorporate them for the connectors at the base - went ahead and incorporated the rest to tie the fleece curtains onto and they make a great towel holder.

I thought about using them for tie downs, but I'm going to "string" it out so I can use the same line as a means to secure a towel that will dip into the evap pool and wick the water out. I am gonna follow your lead and secure the joints with zip ties! Thanks for the tip!

This shower is a direct result of all the awesome posts I found here!

Flint

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 pm

pump.jpg
FWIW, I found the standard solar shower bag uses a lot of water and our camp had excess graywater that yours-truly had to deal with on exodus since evap couldn't keep up. Offering a shower to campmates is a great project but beware of water vampires. We switched to one of these pump sprayers. It uses much less water and has better pressure, so was a more pleasing shower experience. I had to search for a threaded 90 degree adapter to put on the spray tip, but once I found that piece in a hardware store, I could bungee the sprayer wand up in the shower stall and it sprayed downward, like a normal shower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 pm

1235143_10151583898067172_1641106226_n.jpg
This was our first draft in 2012.
Looking a little beat by the end of the week! But you can see the pump sprayer setup. Painted the pump black to get some solar heat.

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:14 pm

jfeaz wrote:@Hoolie, just wanted to thank you for posting this great design. I bought all the parts today for my own 4' x 4' copy!
Cool. I just checked it out on your other thread. Looks great.
Flint wrote:Finished.
Nice one too. I like the orange fabric.
TT120 wrote:Here is our camps shower and evap pond. We had 47 people in our camp and it was dry every evening. It worked very well. Even with all the rain it collected on Monday, we never had any issues evaporating the water.
Yeah, the evap pond worked fine for our small camp. Very impressive that you were able to accommodate 47.

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 am

THANK YOOUUU!! As posted in a similar thread, I've been looking for these threads for a week. Exactly what I need this year.
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”