Made a monkey hut tutorial for those who need diagrams.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Re: Made a monkey hut tutorial for those who need diagrams.

Post by Sundial » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:21 am

I'm going to substitute rope for bungees, rebar for nails and zip ties for bungee balls. I assume that won't cause any problems?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 am

I've used bungees to hold it down before successfuly. I've used rebar for years. However, I definitely wouldn't recommend zip ties over bungee balls. I can see zipties creating a problem. Bungee balls to hold the tarp down would be better. But zip ties might work if the weather cooperates.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 am

Ah. Reason I ask is finding a 20 pack of bungee balls in my city on short notice is apparently asking a lot. Figure they'll still have plenty of those in Reno by Sunday? Or maybe I could just double up the zip ties.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 am

Home Depot usually carries tons of bungees. Maybe not in packs of twenty, but I know I just picked up a ton of extra balls (64) and bungees at my local home depot in Sacramento, CA. If your local one is out, somewhere along the way is sure to have packs of some sort.

I usually get the black long ones with an orange ball at the end.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

I believe that the give of the bungee balls is part of the package of a monkey hut, and that the zip ties will break in the wind. I've never made one, mind, I'm just letting you know that this is my understanding.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am

Ano wrote:Home Depot usually carries tons of bungees. Maybe not in packs of twenty, but I know I just picked up a ton of extra balls (64) and bungees at my local home depot in Sacramento, CA. If your local one is out, somewhere along the way is sure to have packs of some sort.

I usually get the black long ones with an orange ball at the end.
Home Depot in Canada is a different animal. Not nearly as good a selection.

gerstep
Burning Since: 2014

Post by gerstep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi everyone! Please, help me out with dimensions (I'm only used to the metric system and have no idea what a foot or inch really is).

The question is if all the required materials to build the monkey hut would fit into a regular sedan car (VW Passat, for example)?

Also, I will be buying this tent -
Would it fit under the hut?

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:58 am

This is amazing and yep, I can do this. Building a monkey hut next year. Wowsa, thank you very much!
~ Em

Royal Turkey

Post by Royal Turkey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Assuming you are coming in a large enough vehicle, you could skip the bell ends all together, right?

Couldn't you just bend the uncut 10' pvc into the arches required?

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 pm

The diagram seems to indicate that the spine is a single uncut 10' pipe. Am I correct in concluding that this design does not require any cutting of pipes?

Royal Turkey

Post by Royal Turkey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Yeah I get it now, you connect 2 10' pvcs to make a 20' arch out of a 20' length

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 am

Just had another thought. Is there any reason you couldn't use bungee cords to hook the four corners of your tent to the monkey hut's four corner rebar stakes?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”