Shade Considerations for Solo Camping via Burner Express

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
leafx
Burning Since: 2015

Re: Shade Considerations for Solo Camping via Burner Express

Postby leafx » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am

so i traded in the 6foot poles for 8foot poles, and i'm still having issues with the midpart of the shade being too low..

pics
lowered
http://imgur.com/B7oJ5Ar
raised
http://imgur.com/VRAImvI

these may be a bad angle but while i was at this park practicing, a little 3foot kid was able to run around under it with the top of his head barely touching the bottom of the tarp. he thought it was a kite about to blastoff

i love being outdoors but I FUCKING SUCK AT THIS OUTDOORSY TYPE SHIT, i think it took me way too long to setup by myself, and i noticed that when fully raised it was considerably flappier than my previous 6foot setup, and also harder for me to tighten my guy lines. fucking flappy mcflapperson fuck that guy get out of my life
- i just noticed something different comparing our pics; we are both using a 12x12 noah's tarp and kelty poles, i saw that your poled corners have the kelty logo there while mine dont, i think in my rotation maybe im installing it incorrectly? but the tarp is a square....but maybe theres different flex/tension depending where that center ridgeline fold is, have to try again. i still think this raised shade is too low but still to perform combo setup, so we will see.

another new thing im worried about now is size/packability. with my new 8foot poles, these poles are longer than my tent+poles bag, im worried im going to breach the airline's oversize limit for my backpack that is carrying these; i still have to perform a test pack on my actual backpacking pack for gear + clothes. i face a $75 oversize airline charge each leg, and while these poles cost only $39 each.... it brings a round trip cost to $230 on shade alone. i'll try to setup with these 8foot poles again to get it to match your "taller" setup and after that the test pack - if it turns out to indeed be oversize i will return the 8footers that i practiced on here and pick up generic 8footers (instead of Kelty made) in Reno from REI

side notes:
i am not using rebar either, im bringing with me 20 of these glow in the dark 10-inch galvanized steel stakes
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NEI3%2BATbL.jpg
expecting snark, im not covering these up with tennis balls, dont have space to pack them

on my first install i used only 1 guyline per corner knowing you used 2, i just did it for a quick and dirty look-see; on this second install i did use 2 guylines per corner, requiring a total of 8 stakes just for this shade. i need to work on evenly tightening the 2 guy lines per corner and opposing corners
the guy lines im using come with 'slides' that help tightening, thankful for these - i havent reviewed my knots since 3rd grade

i expect practicing setting this up 2 -3 more times before i show up in 1 month, any tips spacetime?

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:56 am

leafx wrote:i love being outdoors but I FUCKING SUCK AT THIS OUTDOORSY TYPE SHIT, i think it took me way too long to setup by myself, and i noticed that when fully raised it was considerably flappier than my previous 6foot setup, and also harder for me to tighten my guy lines.

Don't lose heart, you'll get this figured out. It is worth the time because this is your structure and the shade is the foundation of your camp. Also, you will figure this out and once you do you'll feel like and will be a cooler person because you put in the time and figured it out.

fucking flappy mcflapperson fuck that guy get out of my life

Ya, f flappy's burn! That shirt cocker.

i just noticed something different comparing our pics; we are both using a 12x12 noah's tarp and kelty poles, i saw that your poled corners have the kelty logo there while mine dont, i think in my rotation maybe im installing it incorrectly? but the tarp is a square....but maybe theres different flex/tension depending where that center ridgeline fold is, have to try again. i still think this raised shade is too low but still to perform combo setup, so we will see.

Bingo. I think you have the tarp oriented 90 degrees off!

I got mine out to check and indeed:

You should be using the loops at the logo and opposite end for the poles: http://i.imgur.com/4Rwi3kk.jpg
You tie bowline knots (I leave in for easy setup) at the end of the lines that hoop over the tip of the poles then. Those two are staked down about 4-5 feet out from the bottom of the poles.

Then use the existing attached lines to stake out: http://i.imgur.com/Hq9zbYH.jpg. These are already attached so just tie these to the poles using either solid knots to stakes since they have adjusters. I don't really like the material of these black lines they seem kind of crappy to me, but hey they're free and already attached and work fine. They are also very hard to see in the dark though!

I did not realize you had it off previously. I wonder if the shorter poles will do now. :P Sorry about that!

another new thing im worried about now is size/packability. with my new 8foot poles, these poles are longer than my tent+poles bag, im worried im going to breach the airline's oversize limit for my backpack that is carrying these; i still have to perform a test pack on my actual backpacking pack for gear + clothes. i face a $75 oversize airline charge each leg, and while these poles cost only $39 each.... it brings a round trip cost to $230 on shade alone.

It would be best to not pay oversize for each leg. FWIW, I've heard BM called a lot of things, but never cheap. At least you're not having to do this from another country. That said, it makes sense to save where you can as other stuff can still be spendy depending on needs and wants.

i'll try to setup with these 8foot poles again to get it to match your "taller" setup and after that the test pack - if it turns out to indeed be oversize i will return the 8footers that i practiced on here and pick up generic 8footers (instead of Kelty made) in Reno from REI

That works, just be sure that they are strong. I had a friend use some 'tarp poles' she got from a military surplus store and they bent in two the first night. That's moop. I have a photo I found with other photos (and a video from the windy time! from last year) I'll post this week.

i am not using rebar either, im bringing with me 20 of these glow in the dark 10-inch galvanized steel stakes
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NEI3%2BATbL.jpg
expecting snark, im not covering these up with tennis balls, dont have space to pack them

I don't think these will be a problem so long as they are staked in to be even with the surface of the playa. Your challenge will be: re-tieing to the stake on the lines that don't have adjusters and removing them completely from the playa without leaving any moop. This can be harder than you might think.

I don't think these stakes are are good candidates for tennis balls, but make sure you have a mallet capable of getting them even without destroying them during your test setup. Folks would reasonably more than snark at you if they do require tennis balls, so make sure they don't or you come up with another way to help neighbors avoid foot injuries.

You will be staking a good ways out from your tent to get more room underneath. Depending on traffic around your camp, you may want night time lighting to avoid trips and things. I have a couple low size lighting setups I can recommend for this camp setup also, but maybe stay focused on getting the basics squared away.

on my first install i used only 1 guyline per corner knowing you used 2, i just did it for a quick and dirty look-see; on this second install i did use 2 guylines per corner, requiring a total of 8 stakes just for this shade. i need to work on evenly tightening the 2 guy lines per corner and opposing corners
the guy lines im using come with 'slides' that help tightening, thankful for these - i havent reviewed my knots since 3rd grade

I see. Yes, you will have 8 stakes total for the shade structure. You'll need a few more if you plan to put down another tarp for a floor under your setup and some for your tent as well. You'll need two to small ones to secure the bottoms of your poles as I mentioned.

You should practice a quick release knot that you know and can repeat. Once you figure it out, you'll be happy because the lines you have that don't have adjusters will need manual adjusting at the stake.

i expect practicing setting this up 2 -3 more times before i show up in 1 month, any tips spacetime?

Just try to have fun with it. I'd focus on getting this setup correctly and understanding your flight requirements ASAP so you can have some mental relief that you know what you're doing.

Then i'd immediately practice setting up the rest of the camp site, including the tent. Try to mock up your camp in BRC as closely as possible. This includes sticking all your crap in your tent, set up your sleeping gear inside, etc.

I'll try to post more particulars of my solo 1 week setup w the diagram and video this week. Good luck and keep up the effort. Have you started food planning? I planned way late and this was a bit of a mistake. I topped a good food thread a few days ago.
Last edited by spacetime on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:00 am

It looks upside down to me.

Leave the poles and turn the shade 90 degrees. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Waxbeetle

Postby Waxbeetle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello Spacetime, I am planning a similar shade setup to what you have here, except I have the noah's tarp 16 rather than the 12 you are using. It's a fair bit larger so I was wondering about some things I'm noticing in my mock setup.

The corners are all under very strong tension and feel super solid with 2 guy cords (using paracord) at each corner. The edges of the tarp between each of the corners feel somewhat flappy however. I am wondering if this poses an issue with wind, and if I should use additional guy lines between each corner. I am wondering because I am taking the Burner Express and already need a bunch of stakes (or rebar) packed for the shade how it is, so I'm trying to cut down on what I need to bring as much as possible.

Your setup doesn't appear to have extra guy lines beyond the basic 8, and the edges on yours look a tiny bit flappy like mine do. I am aware that my tarp is bigger though, so that aspect alone may warrant more lines.

You also mentioned raising and lowering the tarp, by this do you mean taking it down entirely and wrapping it up for high wind, or just lowering the height of the tarp because wind would affect it less lower to the ground? I am using adjustable tarp poles, with a maximum height of 8' and minimum around 6' 10", so I can't really lower it that much. Like I mentioned, the whole setup feels super solid as if it could easily withstand strong winds. I'm just not sure because I cannot force strong winds to come in to test how it handles. Any advice helps! :)

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:33 am

I can see that luft in the edge and can understand your concern about it whipping around too much in a wind.
My gut feel (not experience), to give those edges more tension, is to shorten the four guy-lines going to the two low no-pole points, so the guy-lines are anchored closer in and the points are lowered some. You could likely take one side in hand and vary the height and tension and observe what the edge does, so you know if and by how much you want to lower or raise those points, adjusting such with the guy-line length/ground-anchor point.
While lowering those points will increase the wind profile some, with these tarps there is lots of space for wind pressure to spill out.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:05 am

Waxbeetle wrote:Hello Spacetime, I am planning a similar shade setup to what you have here, except I have the noah's tarp 16 rather than the 12 you are using. It's a fair bit larger so I was wondering about some things I'm noticing in my mock setup.

Cool. I am interested in the 16. The 12 is a bit cozy for more than one person and a tent and a place to sit.

The corners are all under very strong tension and feel super solid with 2 guy cords (using paracord) at each corner. The edges of the tarp between each of the corners feel somewhat flappy however.

You mean flappy mcflapperton.
I am wondering if this poses an issue with wind, and if I should use additional guy lines between each corner. I am wondering because I am taking the Burner Express and already need a bunch of stakes (or rebar) packed for the shade how it is, so I'm trying to cut down on what I need to bring as much as possible.

I think it would be hard to take this much rebar on burner express. Not necessarily because of the size, but because the weight.

Your setup doesn't appear to have extra guy lines beyond the basic 8, and the edges on yours look a tiny bit flappy like mine do. I am aware that my tarp is bigger though, so that aspect alone may warrant more lines.

They were flappy, and I finally got the video I found of them in sort-of higher wind uploaded:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/PoorThriftyAsiaticmouflon.webm

You can also see a part of my lighting setup, where I used velcro straps with a solar led light along the edge of it and solar garden lights at each of the 8 main stakes. Yes, I fit this on BxB somehow!

You also mentioned raising and lowering the tarp, by this do you mean taking it down entirely and wrapping it up for high wind, or just lowering the height of the tarp because wind would affect it less lower to the ground?

Only lowering the height. I never had to take the whole thing down. As Canoe said above, you can actually directly stake the corners of the non-pole side directly into the ground rather than use the guidelines. There were times when I left the guy lines attached but staked the corner down to the playa. Then when the wind subsided or changed, I let them up again and again adjusted the lines. Actually, I reviewed the video above again and you can see it in this configuration!

I believe there are some examples of people using guy lines on the loops in between the corners on Youtube. Search for the name of the tarp and check them out. I think because you have this bigger one, it makes sense to consider it.

Finally, I wanted to put in a recommendation for people still in the ordering phase to look for Nite Ize reflective cord. It isn't very cheap, but it stands out very well under light at night. This can save someone a trip. Even if you do have reflective cording, it makes a big difference to hang blinky lights mid way down on each line. This will save you and others headaches or trips! Blinkies are relatively cheap, you just have to remember to turn them off in the early morning so they don't run out of battery.

I'll try to get more into the specifics of lighting this camp by end of this week.

leafx

Postby leafx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 am

editors note: sorry didnt realize i wrote an essay - this post is long

SUCKcess, read: still kind of suck at this but seeing some progress/success in getting it right. im stoked and practice is giving me confidence, im going to crush this trip

i finally attempted combo setup and had v minor issues, but i think i can still burn happily even if i dont resolve them
so, i turned/rotated the tarp, big difference but i got the east/west orientation with the sun wrong still lol
shade only pic: http://imgur.com/xFWiTkz (this pic faces north east, the corner furthest away is true north)
^ still using the 8ft kelty made adjustable poles, but now that i have it rotated the correct way i probably could go back with using the 6ft rei made poles, less travel weight and required packing space
note: i could not raise the poles, this is at its lowest height. one of the guy lines (pole side) ripped a lip off one of my 10" stakes it was so tense/tight

@spacetime and @waxbeetle can you guys help confirm im setting it up right? (wordy, sorry in advance) i start by laying out the tarp, placing stakes on each corner as a weight to prevent it from flying around; then use the pole as a measuring stick and hammer in my 2 stakes per corner about 6' away from each corner and about 1' apart from each other; after all 4 corners are staked and lines loosely tied, i use poles to raise, then run around in a circle tightening the 8 guy lines again - it would probably help to do some high on pot hypotenuse math, and to use same length guy lines lol; well real quick 36 (ground distance from pole squared) + 64 (pole height squared) = 100 which means i need a 10' rope which is exactly what i have and the 10' was the one that ripped the stake lip (while lowered) instead of the shorter line, interesting...

combo setup pics: http://imgur.com/9MNajT6, http://imgur.com/BQS2qhc, http://imgur.com/TNTi3Ca
looks like i have a decent 1'-2' clearance/gap between tent roof and shade while poles are at lowest setting - this is what makes me think i can use shorter poles.. all the lines and corners are as tight as my sweaty bare hands can pull them but the perimeter/edges near the middle is kind of geting fucked by that fucker flappy mcflapperton; i shook the tarp pretty hard as if i was playing parachute from first grade and it stayed, maybe i should field goal kick one of the poles and see what happens

http://imgur.com/AaQcKmG
in this image you can see the 2 different guy lines im using and i used them on opposing corners on opposing sides, the black came included with the tarp and the yellow i bought separately for like $3; they are made of different material and are different length (black more shoelace/rope like, yellow is sturdy but its made of cabled/twisted plastic string; black is slightly shorter than yellow, yellow is 10')
^ i think i need to work on angling the shade/tarp to be better inline together, and for my stakes to be inline together lol i can see them being crooked when i setup

this is my complete shelter + shade, total setup time is too long at 49 minutes from the second i set my bag down and start unrolling/unpacking to the last line tightening and rain fly attached. i see time as the most valuable commodity and i need to cut this down to preferably under 30 minutes. dont see what i could add to this that isnt absolutely essential to my survival. ill need to cut some pillow cases / bed sheets up that ill gorilla tape to the inside (or outside?) of the tent to cover the small mesh windows which are already covered by a semi-flappy rain fly, but the avoidance of dust is only for comfort, wont be the first time i eat dust. it would be nice for others to color my lines but im poor now and i enjoy being mean

answering previous post
as for food planning, im kind of there; i think i know myself in that on trips like these i dont care much for taste but more focused on just getting my nutrients, booze and drugs are whats delicious, the right nutrients let me take more. on one sunday in the past couple weeks i simulated 'burner food' which consisted of clif bar/almonds/dried fruit in the morning, beef jerky/pouched tuna/chips for lunch, and a freeze dried spaghetti meal for dinner. biked around all day, sat at the pool and didnt go in the water lol to try to sim active body movement and sun/heat. i dont think i'll be eating freeze dried meals on the playa though, they dont taste that bad but i dont wanna pack it and i liked my lunch better anyways(more natural), or ill consider chef boyardee cans ive eaten them cold before. i have a short list of food besides what i mentioned above as meals (v8, coconut water, justin's almond butter, pickles, cigarettes, etc)
just repeat x5 or x6, easier said than done though right?? going crazy is part of the fun

i think its officially time for me to focus on other parts of prep, at least one more practice sesh though. dont think ill layout my sleep gear inside the tent or anything, and not really sure about the night time practice even though you suggested it. take down and complete packing took about 20 minutes, carefully folding/rolling; im sure it will take longer playa side as i attempt to get rid of dust stuck inside my tent

@spacetime, do you recognize any potential issues or have any additional suggestions/tips for this? reading this thread about your successful experience last year was so mentally/emotionally relieving - thank you!! and seeing that more than one of us first timers is using it too i think this will be popular in the future for burner express riders with travel constraints to have their own shade. the whole package is so lightweight yet simple and effective, its hard to beat. some serious kudos to your pioneering

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Postby BeeWeeDee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am

I was thinking of gifting shade this year by camping nearby the BX bus terminus.

Is this open camping or reserved?
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Postby BeeWeeDee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:50 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:I was thinking of gifting shade this year by camping nearby the BX bus terminus.

If I had read the FAQ - HOVerlandia is a reserved space for BX riders to tent camp near 6:15 and I.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:
BeeWeeDee wrote:I was thinking of gifting shade this year by camping nearby the BX bus terminus.

If I had read the FAQ - HOVerlandia is a reserved space for BX riders to tent camp near 6:15 and I.

Beautiful idea--gifting extra, shaded hangout space to those who are bussing! :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:18 pm

leafx wrote:still kind of suck at this but seeing some progress/success in getting it right. im stoked and practice is giving me confidence, im going to crush this trip

This is what I felt like too. Going solo, it can be intimidating the first time to BRC. You're scrambling for information a lot. Putting the info to work and having confidence in your camp feels good.

big difference but i got the east/west orientation with the sun wrong still lol

This is easy to do, it is spatially confusing. If you arrive on the playa late, don't worry a ton about getting it wrong. If you can remember the orientation of the poles and use your compass, you may get it right. If not, no big deal you can fuss with a rotation the next day.

still using the 8ft kelty made adjustable poles, but now that i have it rotated the correct way i probably could go back with using the 6ft rei made poles, less travel weight and required packing space

I don't have experience with those poles, but if they are good I can understand this decision.

note: i could not raise the poles, this is at its lowest height. one of the guy lines (pole side) ripped a lip off one of my 10" stakes it was so tense/tight

I'm not sure I understand. Could you not raise the poles because the guy lines aren't long enough?

@spacetime and @waxbeetle can you guys help confirm im setting it up right? (wordy, sorry in advance) i start by laying out the tarp, placing stakes on each corner as a weight to prevent it from flying around

Yes, if it is at all breezy, I connect the pole segments and let lay the entire length of each across the tarp to keep it in place during initial setup.

Then use the pole as a measuring stick and hammer in my 2 stakes per corner about 6' away from each corner and about 1' apart from each other

I am not this specific, mostly eyeballing it. You may find on playa that a neighbor's tent or other thing is in the way and you'll need to work with them to make sure it is not a trip hazard. This may mean you may not have exact placement as you're practicing.

One way to do this is to hold the guy line in one hand and crouch in an approximate spot. Hold it where you think the stake should go in. Let the guy out a bit so it is in control of your hand and pound in the stake. (Depending on the surface and stake you may be able to use your hand to push it in enough to get the setup going.)

Then pull the guy line taught again, and use a fast knot you can easily pull out. I did not have adjusters on my lines last year so I had to regularly untie and retie and also change stake placement.

I think you mention this, but the stake should be perpendicular to the line if possible so they don't pull out.

You probably want more than 1 foot apart. I usually have them 3-5 feet apart and I believe this gets you more stability.

after all 4 corners are staked and lines loosely tied, i use poles to raise, then run around in a circle tightening the 8 guy lines again

Ok, ya basically flutter around the tarp adjusting. Hardest part is getting the poles positioned and up. Once that is in you can redo all initial temporary placement. Focusing less on the math initially may save you time.

That looks real good. See my note about a possible ground tarp below.

looks like i have a decent 1'-2' clearance/gap between tent roof and shade while poles are at lowest setting - this is what makes me think i can use shorter poles.. all the lines and corners are as tight as my sweaty bare hands can pull them but the perimeter/edges near the middle is kind of geting fucked by that fucker flappy mcflapperton

McFlapperton doesn't go away. He just ripples quietly in the background until you leave camp. Plan to see him every time you come back joyfully from a trip around the city. Waiting. Flapping.

i shook the tarp pretty hard as if i was playing parachute from first grade and it stayed, maybe i should field goal kick one of the poles and see what happens

It sounds like you're using taught lines as a way to keep the feet from moving around. There is a better way where you rely less on severely taught lines by securing the pole feet. I saw a youtube video where these guys actually cut the feet with a hacksaw into an edge! Not necessary.

Instead strike two stakes vertically (perpendicular to the ground) directly on opposite sides of the bottom of each pole. Leave the tops of the stakes out 1-2". Use one or two strong velcro straps to fasten the bottom of the pole to the stakes. You can field goal kick it a ton and it won't move. This is secure enough to lean a steel frame burner bike against.

These are my preferred velcro straps for this effort

in this image you can see the 2 different guy lines im using...
I think I ditched those single included lines and just used custom line for the sides. There are four of them and all the same length. May make the organization easier.
^ i think i need to work on angling the shade/tarp to be better inline together, and for my stakes to be inline together lol i can see them being crooked when i setup

Like I said, on playa it may not be so neat. Important thing is to keep an eye on the overall shade behavior and adjust staking, including lowering the sides when a situation calls for it.

this is my complete shelter + shade, total setup time is too long at 49 minutes from the second i set my bag down and start unrolling/unpacking to the last line tightening and rain fly attached. i see time as the most valuable commodity and i need to cut this down to preferably under 30 minutes

I'd urge you to consider a ground tarp. After a few days of only the playa to chill on you may wish you had it. Especially true if it rains and you must be in camp. Walking around your tent if it is wet will mess up the surface for the entire week.

ill need to cut some pillow cases / bed sheets up that ill gorilla tape to the inside (or outside?) of the tent to cover the small mesh windows which are already covered by a semi-flappy rain fly, but the avoidance of dust is only for comfort, wont be the first time i eat dust.

If you don't want to destroy pillow cases, go by the fabric store and get a several yards of some discount crazy looking stuff. You'll want to tape it to the outside of the tent. You'll eat dust regardless, but this is valuable change to your tent.

it would be nice for others to color my lines but im poor now and i enjoy being mean

You may be doing yourself more harm from not marking or lighting these guys than others. Hanging something from them that is visible during the day and something else at night will save you and other people from being closelined and your setup from being messed up.

I found I was the most likely person to walk into my lines as I spend the most time looking after Flappy. Bring a few rubber bands, wrap one around the middle or even two per line and pull them through and they'll stay put. You can dangle something weird that you can easily see, you will probably be a happier camper. Tape or potential moop works so long as it doesn't fly away.

It is as much a courtesy to you as to neighbors. If you walk into a guy line on this setup you could be acting in league with McFlapperton! Avoid this at all costs because Flappy has a dark energy.

Your food plan sounds about right. That is what I did the first time. Ya, one more setup may be good, definitely try out the pole bottom staking I mentioned so you can focus the lines on stability and surface tension.

That's all I have I can think of. I am curious who else is trying this. If you are lurking and working on a similar setup please post.

Leafx, I'd love to come check out your setup out there. You should also try to write in this thread about your experience as soon as possible after the burn to preserve new insight.

I think previously to this thread the noah's tarp was under appreciated as a top notch shade structure, and possibly the solo burn could use more organized documentation.

Part of the good of this process is that it is interactive and creates more info for other folks. Hopefully this thread will help many others.
Last edited by spacetime on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:33 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:

Last year it was reserved until Wednesday at noon, I believe. People did encroach on it as soon as was allowed. It was patrolled heavily by BxB staff up until then to give BxB's plenty of space. They made a bunch of people move, and this was a welcomed bonus of using BxB.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Most of our discussion is on how to secure it and set it up properly, but hopefully the primary value it is offering is shade from the sun.

Since there is some reliance on this shade going on, it is worth noting that the kelty noah's tarp it is not 100% opaque against the sun.

People using this setup may want to consider the use of a bed sheet or tapestry to add additional sun blockage. These can go across the surface of the tarp and secured with spring clamps. In the evening a sheet or tapestry can be flipped down to hang from the side to offer additional shade as needed.

I did not use a sheet or tapestry on top of the shade last year, I actually forgot my tapestry, (and packing was super tight). But I was okay. But I do remember it getting hot. I believe I attached a part of the tent or some other material a few times. It was not shaped right or practiced but offered some additional relief. I do not know how this affects its behavior in the wind.

I was re-reading this old tribe post, which was part of my original decision on it and remembered this important point.

Also, there is light mention of the rain, but this tarp performs very well in heavy rain. Last year there was a pretty solid rainstorm. I documented some of my experience here.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Hey solo folks and others who used this shade setup.

Please if you used the kelty 12' tarp and poles, please post your impressions of it in this thread for others (especially if you made this work on BxB).

I met leafx at the solo meetup I hosted who used this setup.

I used the kelty 16' and the 12' tarps with 3 poles this year for a minimalist 2 person setup and will link to it from here when I get it up in a new thread.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I still occasionally get PMs about this setup, and having referenced it due to my cake day want to clarify that the noah's tarp 16' is much too big .

12 foot works great, but at 16 you have to keep the tarp too close to the ground. It is no fun to be hunched over all the time in camp.

The 16 also required a ton of guy lines to keep from flapping. I suggest someone attempting this setup stick with the 12, despite the other poster discussing the 16. I did try the 16 out there and do not recommend it. The 12 on its own takes a fair amount of pre-event setup practice.

But otherwise, the noah's + kelty poles can be great setup, handling wind, rain and sun if set up properly and maintained. Bonus for springclamps and a sheet for extra shade in the afternoon.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”