Shade Considerations for Solo Camping via Burner Express

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Shade Considerations for Solo Camping via Burner Express

Postby spacetime » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 am

Hey y'all,

This is my first Burning Man. I'm coming in on Burner Express and am planning to do the entire week solo camp. My intent is near the area set aside for BE riders around 6 and g.

I am making good progress with collecting gear, and feel confident about food and water plans. Here's my intro thread.

I have not decided how to handle my personal shade and am looking for some feedback.

I'm seeing a few options.

1. Just use a tent and tarp combo. Suggested by The Hun at the end of this post. Simple, minimal and lacking much real effectiveness, this would fit well given the two large bags rule for the bus. I'd survive.

But is this a reasonable option for a full week on the playa? I'm pretty hardy and have done a lot of outdoor events and camping. But I don't want to choose to avoid complexity if it means I'm punishing myself or reducing the likelihood that I'll be able to fully take care of myself out there. :shock:

2. Build a galaxy hut. I am prepared to acquire, build and practice construction of this hut. I think it would be a fantastic place to catch and share shade with neighbors who did 1. above and other passerby's. Especially, given my solo status it could be an inviting thing to share with everyone. 8)

I've seen posts with variations where you can do things like shorten the poles and use connector pieces. However regardless of these modifications, I do not think that the Galaxy (or monkey hut) equipment broken down would fit as Burner Express luggage. Can anyone confirm if that assessment is probably true, or if there might be give there?

I did see a suggestion in this thread that it might be possible to bring a working shade between two people via burner express. Though the exact type isn't obvious in the thread, and I am one person.

This leads me to believe I would need to look for help getting this part of my gear in.

It seems like this is the kind of thing you want to arrange with someone from my region. I'm prepared to meet up with someone on the 22nd or 23rd to drop off the hut. And obviously collaborate to get it back on a vehicle and picked up where I am--but I don't know the best way to find someone to do this.

Do people with full camps or just campers with trucks offer to help solo campers out like this? What is the appropriate way to signal for assistance on something like this at this point in the game? If this is possible, I need to confirm plans soon so I can begin construction and practice.

It would be awesome to have a real shade to camp and chill under all week, but I also realize this may be too ambitious for a first time out.

3. Some other idea. Perhaps I've missed something so far. Is there another option better than the above for my circumstances?

Any feedback is appreciated.

ST

gustavh
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Shade Considerations for Solo Camping via Burner Express

Postby gustavh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 am

I say go with the Galaxy Hut. It sounds like it will be a great way for you to meet your neighbors, gift some shade, and it sounds like the option you're most excited about. We are building one for the first time this year, and it only took us about an hour to put everything together.

As far as transportation, if you're coming from the bay area, I don't think it will be very difficult for you to find someone with space in their truck. Check out the Share Resources forum. Post an ad there and on Craigslist. It might be a good idea to secure transportation before you start purchasing all the equipment for your hut. Good luck!

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 pm

gustavh wrote:I say go with the Galaxy Hut. It sounds like it will be a great way for you to meet your neighbors, gift some shade, and it sounds like the option you're most excited about. We are building one for the first time this year, and it only took us about an hour to put everything together.

As far as transportation, if you're coming from the bay area, I don't think it will be very difficult for you to find someone with space in their truck. Check out the Share Resources forum. Post an ad there and on Craigslist. It might be a good idea to secure transportation before you start purchasing all the equipment for your hut. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback and these suggestions, Gustav. I already have a potential lead. I'll get to posting so this is locked down.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:48 pm

To follow-up for other virgins following this trail:

1. Here's the eplaya share resources forum.
2. Burning Man has an active web thing that helps you find people to offer ride shares or hauling. The landing page is not obvious that you can query for just haul (mentions only rideshare), but you can! Here's what the form looks like:

Here's my request thread here on eplaya.

I'm focusing my attention here closer to the BM community first, and then I'll look at Craigslist.

ST

Lo_80

Postby Lo_80 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:39 pm

here's what i'm going to use for shade:

Found the idea here:

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=40542

i use collapsable poles so it packs very small. won't be good for sharing with neighbors tho. hope that helps!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Isn't that what center camp is for?

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 am

Lo_80 wrote:here's what i'm going to use for shade:
Found the idea here:
https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=40542
i use collapsable poles so it packs very small. won't be good for sharing with neighbors tho. hope that helps!

Thanks, Lo. This looks like a great alternative. Really, I need something for me that will work for a week. This seems like it will do it.

Token wrote:Isn't that what center camp is for?

Probably. I don't know because I haven't been yet! Center camp is probably a great place to catch communal shade for me and it won't be far from where I'm planning to set down.

I haven't been able to get a commitment on hauling in the gear yet, and I wonder if trying to build a shade for other citizens is trying too hard for the first year. There is still time, so if I can find someone in the next week, I'll still plan to go about building something. But frankly, it would be easier, cheaper and possibly more fun to focus on costumes, gifts and finding camps to help out. So perhaps my time is better spent in that direction.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Oh, I was completely snarking. ;)

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Token wrote:Oh, I was completely snarking. ;)

I saw one of your posts in another thread and figured it out. :) Wish I wasn't a noob, shoulda got here months ago.

For anyone following the thread: it hasn't been very long but I haven't found someone to transport Galaxy Hut materials yet. As a result I'm gravitating in the direction of a minor personal shade like @lo_80's doing.

I'm going to see if I meet folks who could make the transport happen easier in the next week. So I suppose it is still a possiblity.

But reading more here and thinking about what I want to give is making me realize there are other things I can do between now and the burn. Buying, constructing, practicing and dealing haul logistics of a full on shade for a solo camp is starting to make less sense to me.

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:15 pm

If you go for the minimalist setup, it's helpful to have a nice, breathable, wide-brimmed hat for when you're puttering about camp in the heat of the day.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Hoolie wrote:If you go for the minimalist setup, it's helpful to have a nice, breathable, wide-brimmed hat for when you're puttering about camp in the heat of the day.

Thanks for this, Hoolie.

I decided to try a 12x12' Kelty Noah's Tarp setup with adjustable poles. I'll have the equipment tomorrow and am going to practice setup configurations. From research online, it appears these have been used successfully at BM and can handle challenging weather conditions when set up properly.

I'll post results once I get to know the setup better.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:04 pm

In case anyone is following this and looking for more information on solutions for shade on a solo camp where building / transporting a Galaxy Hut or Monkey Hut is not possible.

It doesn't have the cool feel of something built from scratch, like the Galaxy, but I got the Kelty 12'x12' Noah's Tarp and it seems like it will provide good shade with relatively easy setup and configurability for gales.

Noah's Tarp is supposed to be an all-season piece of equipment and I've found some evidence that it has worked on the playa over the past decade.

I did a test setup this evening after work using two tarp poles and a bunch of guy lines.

Some solid wind came through the peninsula while I was messing around with it and it handled it well. It was clear two guy lines per attachment point provided better for stability. As a result, I'm looking at like 8 points the tarp needs to connect with the playa, plus stabilization for the base of the Tarp poles

That would be like 10 rebars, not including four more to secure my tent. Does that sound about right?

I'm also dealing with packing size constraints because of Burner Express. Fortunately the tarp and poles are so small, I believe I will have room for them with tent and the rebar in my large suitcase that is not water. :P

Anyhow, appreciate any feedback from more experienced folks. I've messed with shades before, but never taken it this seriously. :]

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Hey, I wanted to post two shots of this setup and also share that I got zero responses from people I reached out to on the official rideshare form I mentioned in my previous post. I think if you're looking for help at this point, you're more likely to get it from a personal connection than using that system.

Here's the setup using two lowered poles, late in the day.

And here it is mid-morning, lifted.

I'm going to get more practice setting up, but think that there is probably a bunch of configurations I can take it through weather dependent.

I'm using reflective guy-lines and am planning to line the shade with solar lights if I can. I'm still curious about Rebar. Is it typical to bring 10-15 24" rebar out for a single camp? I've seen threads where people are saying 10" stakes can work just fine too. That would reduce weight and prep concerns a bunch as I can probably stake them even with the playa then.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 pm

That is a ton of rebar. We used a 'sail' just like that a couple of years. It worked great and we only lowered it once in severe winds. It's a great solution. If you're not great with knots, concentrate on tensioners or adjustable nylon straps. It makes it so much easier to put up and take down on a moments notice. I vote YES. A good choice.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Ratty wrote:That is a ton of rebar. We used a 'sail' just like that a couple of years. It worked great and we only lowered it once in severe winds. It's a great solution. If you're not great with knots, concentrate on tensioners or adjustable nylon straps. It makes it so much easier to put up and take down on a moments notice. I vote YES. A good choice.

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I can get away with four rebars for the guy lines coming off the tarp poles, and two for the tent. Then Fill in the rest with the long stakes described in other threads.

I also noticed that this tarp does allow some sun through, and that I'll probably need to put a tapestry over the top to get full on shade. The shade does have points to secure stuff to on the top of it, so I think that can be done.

Big yes on the nylon straps. I have some cool ring tensioners, but haven't played with them yet. Any feedback on making guy lines easier to see / less likely to trip over? I'm thinking ribbons during for the day, and a combo of reflective guidelines and solar lights at night.

gahb13
Burning Since: 2013

Postby gahb13 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Last year was my first burn, with four newbies taking the burner express from the reno airport. We had the same luggage constraint but could share communal stuff. We were planning on doing something similar to the tent and simple shade shown earlier but luckily ran into two experienced burners on the same bus who had a shade shelter to share if we helped them set it up. It was just a smallish pole gazebo type set up that they had used previously. I know people say that the store bought ones will fall down but with lots of guide wires worked fine. Having one going down through the middle of the tent helped a lot.

Didn't use rebar but foot long metal pegs we found at an army surplus store. They worked great for our 4 man tent and the shade shelter.

The shelter became a meeting spot for all the small burner express groups and soloist. Met lots of great people that way. Also this year two of us are going back and bringing 6 new burners all on the express and camping in the 6 g area.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Hey! Back from BRC and wanted to post a shot of my camp setup at 6:15 and i after the water event we had Monday morning. This was probably taken around 9am. I some other photos of the water event aftermath around the site I'll post in a different thread.

I was not planning for my camp to handle this amount of weather, but it most certainly did.

Note my site is almost alone, as the express lot was pretty vacant except tents hugging the wood shelter. People really started filling in Thursday.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback or shared their experiences. It turned out my nighttime practice setups were valuable and needed since Burner Express got in late Sunday.

I will probably post a standalone thread or blog entry on my prep, as it not only held up very well providing necessary shelter. But thanks to some last minute simple embellishments the setup became a landmark for locals both during the day and night. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone solo camping the burn.

tummler

Postby tummler » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Lovely. Can't wait to see your stand-alone thread on your prep and experiences.

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Postby gypsy68 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Spacetime, Nice set up.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 pm

spacetime wrote:I was not planning for my camp to handle this amount of weather, but it most certainly did.

That's the most valuable piece of info for the newer folks! Maybe the weather will be fairly mild, maybe the shit will hit the fan. Build accordingly.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:26 am

spacetime wrote:... I was not planning for my camp to handle this amount of weather, but it most certainly did. ...

I bet you're glad you used two guy lines per corner instead of the one you used in your back yard test.
Much more stable with two so the attachment points don't whip around crazy in the wind.
If you have any shots of it in the wind...
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 pm

gypsy68 wrote:Spacetime, Nice set up.

Thank you! It really helped to ask and try and post progress on here. It is cool to show what actually happened and get more feedback. eplaya is da bomb in that way.

I will def write up my planning and experience at the burn for survival. I realize now how important it is to have this taken care of, as it is the platform for a successful burn. If all your personal camping stuff is taken care of, you can participate to a greater extent.

Canoe wrote:
spacetime wrote:... I was not planning for my camp to handle this amount of weather, but it most certainly did. ...

I bet you're glad you used two guy lines per corner instead of the one you used in your back yard test.
Much more stable with two so the attachment points don't whip around crazy in the wind.
If you have any shots of it in the wind...

Fully. It was funny how crappy I was at this when I got the equipment but now I feel like a pro. Not that complicated but there is shit to know.

I wish I did take video of the setup in the wind, because there was a lot of it. I'll comb what I did get and maybe something is there. Mostly, I wish I had photo of it in the 'heavy wind' mode.

Captain Goddammit wrote:
spacetime wrote:I was not planning for my camp to handle this amount of weather, but it most certainly did.

That's the most valuable piece of info for the newer folks! Maybe the weather will be fairly mild, maybe the shit will hit the fan. Build accordingly.

Ya, if you've never been before there is this weird disbelief that things get as hard as they actually do out there. "Oh ya, there are sandstorms, no big deal." I think this noobish skepticism may be due to just not wanting to believe it because if you do, you're going to have to prepare way more than is easy. Trouble is you gotta spring for it and prepare for it for real.

I saw some guy in another thread getting frustrated, saying that burners are acting like attending BM is like a "moon mission" and are over the top with their prep. I can say definitively they are not now. It would be great to hear back from folks who got their asses rocked at BM because they didn't prepare, so there is more evidence to point birgins toward.

Hoolie

Postby Hoolie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:46 am

Nice. I can see with that setup that rainwater would be diverted to the low corners and drain well away from the tent.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Hoolie wrote:Nice. I can see with that setup that rainwater would be diverted to the low corners and drain well away from the tent.

Indeed. I have some video of this happening, which I'll compile with a wind video I found, along with photos showing the pooling that lasted past the initial dry out / crackup of the playa that morning.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi spacetime, When you were initially planning your camp and buying gear did you know there was a large wooden communal shade structure? Your neighborhood looked like a great place to live.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Ratty wrote:Hi spacetime, When you were initially planning your camp and buying gear did you know there was a large wooden communal shade structure? Your neighborhood looked like a great place to live.

Hey Ratty! It was not totally clear how much shade would be available, or if would be enough for the entire lot of people. I did not take it into account as something I would be able to use. Most feedback on here was don't count on anything working out beyond what you certify and plan, so I did my best not to.

Our bus was among the last to arrive on Sunday. And by that time, the BxB folks said you can camp anywhere in the lot but not under the structure. As a result, tents were completely packed in close around the wood structure.

I wasn't in the spirit of saying hello and trying to butt into that area. I was in survival mode. Actually, when I got off the bus I was running on pure adrenaline. The bus ride was 12 hours from SF, and lacked air on one half the bus. Once I stepped out, I had absolutely no idea where I was or which direction was anywhere helpful to me. (I knew it was 6 and g, but really knowing the shape of BRC and seeing it on a map and actually needing to move around in it in the dark for the first time is a different thing entirely). I ended up schlepping part of my gear the wrong way before finding a BxB person in an orange shirt who was able to point out the structure.

(Part of the reason it was extra hard was because I was _completely_ solo so no one to help move gear or scout things out or otherwise say, "whoa this is crazy we're going to make it.")

So I assessed the situation and how much room I would need for my guy lines and I decided to do the odd thing and set up camp on the far corner of 6:15 and i away from where the earliest arrivals were. This turned out to be a rocking choice and I would do again.

Important note was that the shade structure provided by BxB did not stop the rain that I could see. During the weather event around 8 or 9 it seemed a bit grim under there for some folks, but I was pretty focused on making sure my setup was working ok. I think I will be able to do more for other people next time.

To your point about it being a nice neighborhood, yes. the BxB camp area was pretty communal, lots of international folks and almost entirely first-year burners. I ended up meeting people from the neighborhood and Burner Express. Also the centrality of 6:15 was awesome for heading both directions in BRC.

leafx
Burning Since: 2015

Postby leafx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 am

spacetime, or anyone else looking/reading

could you please help provide some pointers? i practically have an identical shade + shelter set up as you did the previous year. i have weight and packing constraints due to flying into reno and burner express into BRC
i cant seem to get the ridgeline on my noah's tarp (12'x12') straight, nor does my tarp seem high/tall enough to provide enough of a small clearance or venting space between the bottom of the tarp itself and the roof of my tent(im only using a small 2 person tent, eureka apex 2xt to be exact) - how do you deal with this?? ive practiced setting up both individually with small 10mph winds, next step is in combination and another practice in the dark

here are a couple pics of the shade alone
http://imgur.com/fEq7RYU
child is in there for scale, no its not mine
different angle
http://imgur.com/FtVSJUi

im considering trading in my 2 6-foot adjustable poles for 8-foot adjustable poles, but each pole literally doubles in weight for just 2 extra feet, is it worth it? what if i dont, am i just gonna have to deal with the tarp flapping against my tent?
how did you keep your poles flush with the ground? my original plan before receiving my gear was to remove the bottom plug from the pole, drive in a 2-foot piece of rebar 1-foot deep into the playa, and place the pole over the rebar sticking out, but now after receiving it i cant for the life of me remove the bottom plugs... worried about wind blowing the poles around and having the whole thing collapse onto the tent but still tied down, good thing the tarp isnt heavy but there may be loose poles

based on my pics / your pics above, looks like this tarp configuration creates almost a valley like environment; i imagine you have the \/ "v" part aligned with east and west, how did the shade work for you between sunrise and noon? i get that you need have the tarp in a lower position when winds are stronger, did you ever adjust it mid burn?

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:01 pm

While you wait for a response, go back and look at his setup on the playa. Note that each attachment point is using two guylines - much more robust in a wind.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:56 am

leafx wrote:spacetime, or anyone else looking/reading could you please help provide some pointers? i have weight and packing constraints due to flying into reno and burner express into BRC

Sure. Sorry for the delay, I missed your message. This can be a big obstacle. I discuss some of my effort to handle these constraints in this thread.
i cant seem to get the ridgeline on my noah's tarp (12'x12') straight, nor does my tarp seem high/tall enough to provide enough of a small clearance or venting space between the bottom of the tarp itself and the roof of my tent(im only using a small 2 person tent, eureka apex 2xt to be exact) - how do you deal with this?? [/url]

As far as I know, you aren't really supposed to get that ridgeline straight. Or rather, there is probably not a way to do it without some elaborate rigging through the hoops. This shade is intended to have that arc downward. Do a search on youtube, there are a bunch of outdoor type dudes who show different configurations of this shade and I don't think any of them include a straight ridge as you describe.

ive practiced setting up both individually with small 10mph winds, next step is in combination and another practice in the dark

I think this is a good plan. It is kind of fun anyway, consider doing it with full gear on (goggles / filter) if you can avoid scaring people.

here are a couple pics of the shade alone
http://imgur.com/fEq7RYU
child is in there for scale, no its not mine
different angle
http://imgur.com/FtVSJUi

Looking good. As Canoe said you need to have two guidelines per pole. As you have it here, it will blow down or if bumped fall down with a single guy. With two, the thing really can't move. How are you doing on making the guy lines adjustable? This was not something I did well last year, I instead used a simple and easy release knot at the stake. But if you can get to where you can adjust lines on the fly, this will be very helpful. They will need to be adjusted a few times a day weather and sun dependent.

im considering trading in my 2 6-foot adjustable poles for 8-foot adjustable poles, but each pole literally doubles in weight for just 2 extra feet, is it worth it? what if i dont, am i just gonna have to deal with the tarp flapping against my tent?

Maybe you want a straight ridge so you have more clearance? Ya, the real way to get more clearance is to raise the shade higher with higher poles as you are considering here. I used the Kelty adjustable poles which extend up to 99" or 8.25 feet. This was the right height for my 2 manner tent setup. Have you compared the poles you're considering with the aluminum Kelty ones? They are about $38 each. Pricey but they are light and great.

how did you keep your poles flush with the ground? my original plan before receiving my gear was to remove the bottom plug from the pole, drive in a 2-foot piece of rebar 1-foot deep into the playa, and place the pole over the rebar sticking out, but now after receiving it i cant for the life of me remove the bottom plugs... worried about wind blowing the poles around and having the whole thing collapse onto the tent but still tied down, good thing the tarp isnt heavy but there may be loose poles

I solved this by driving two smaller stakes--the ones that came with the shade (they looked like this but silver)--into the ground next to the bottom of the poles. I then used small velcro straps to wrap around the bottom of the pole and the two tiny stakes that flanked it. Since these stakes are not really load bearing (the guy line stakes hold the thing down) and only are intended to prevent lateral (?) motion of the lower part of the pole falling, these held up incredibly well. I was able to lean my heavy all steel frame burner bike up against this even. (though it scratched the aluminum a bit!)

Also, I actually did not use rebar at the burn last year. This is the standard but frankly there are serious weight constraints for folks in your situation. Lag screws are probably not possible based on your not having a drill and all. Instead I relied on these really long nails type stakes with a round plastic hood at the top that helped hold the line. People do not recommend this but they were really long and went in real deep and they worked and were far, far lighter than rebar. They were like this but longer and a round top. I will try to get a photo of them to share. You will need a mallet. I used the common plastic one and it worked just don't try to take it on the carryon. I do not recommend the 12-in coleman "steel" tent stakes. These things bend going into the playa, during use, and have dangerous tops that are hard to protect even with a tennis ball or other cover. They are moop.

based on my pics / your pics above, looks like this tarp configuration creates almost a valley like environment; i imagine you have the \/ "v" part aligned with east and west, how did the shade work for you between sunrise and noon?

You do want to know where the sun rises and sets at BRC, and then set up the tarp so the shade begins over where your tent is located. I have a great drawing showing how this setup worked but I have to get out all my gear. I'm going to start doing this next week so I will post it then. During the day, you kind of needed to move your chair or hangout to keep with the shade. There isn't a ton of it, and frankly you probably will be out and about more than just hanging in camp. But for when you are or are entertaining a few people sidling by your area there is enough room for a few folks to relax for a bit. But not a lot since the tent takes up room.
i get that you need have the tarp in a lower position when winds are stronger, did you ever adjust it mid burn?

I found myself adjusting the shade to keep it from rippling or whatever almost every time I returned to camp. It is probably your most important thing not to let get out of control. I ended up with a bit of a routine. You go out for an experience or two, come back, maybe eat, clean up some of the crap you messed up in your tent the night before, go by the portos, adjust, moop and straigten-up up otherwise "maintain camp." That includes inspection of the shade and fixing it. It should be basically tight all the time and not flappy mcflapperton. Mcflapperton leads to mcfailington.

I see you're going solo for your first burn. Good on you, this is what I did last year, and may do it again this year. Would be happy to meet up w you at the burn and check out your setup.

I am also considering doing a little "solo burn forum" type thing to answer questions live maybe on a conference call or something. Would that be helpful to you? I had originally planned to do a workshop on a vapeotron but time and life got in the way, and this is actually something i know about.
Last edited by spacetime on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 am

This came via PM but thought I'd post it here so all can see.

first off, thanks so much for your informative posts. i've learned so much reading from you. i had a quick question about the kelty noah tarp you used. it seems a great option for a solo camper, but i was wondering if you have trouble with dust getting into your tent?

Cool. This brings me joy to share info with people who can use it. I relied on so many posts here in order to make my first burn work so I am happy to share back.

The dust issue is unrelated to the shade. I bought a cheap two man coleman tent only for burning man, and then I used pieces of fabric I bought from the fabric store, cut them into triangles or the shape needed and then used colorful duct tape to 'seal' it to the tent. This allowed some air to get in. I otherwise kept anything of importance in ziplock bags. You can't really prevent some dust from getting in to everything, so it is best to assume you'll just have dust. Look at other threads on eplaya for dust / tent related preparation.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”