EZ Up = EZ Down? Bad idea?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Freedyjay

EZ Up = EZ Down? Bad idea?

Post by Freedyjay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:10 pm

A friend just got an extra week off from work, found a ticket and vehicle pass and is now looking for a last minute shade structure she can fit in her car.

She had a plan of doing a Coleman Instant 6 person tent (or she might be able to get her hands on a Kodiak), then getting an EZ Up 10 x 10 Pyramid along with EZ Up Side Walls.

Like this:

She would then get rebar for each pole of the EZ Up and tape the pole to the rebar using gorilla tape.

I thought this would give her good shade, but had heard the expression EZ Up leads to EZ down (meaning they fall down easily.)

Thoughts?

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: EZ Up = EZ Down? Bad idea?

Post by TT120 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:17 pm

It should be ok. Just be prepared to pull off the covering if the wind really kicks up. I've taken an EZ-Up that last couple years and lashed the legs to rebar as well as guy lines on each corner. Worked fine but the winds never really got that bad.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:20 pm

If she can get the kodiak, do so. Even if the shade fails the kodiak will stay up forever.

Plenty of people manage to keep an EZ-up intact. However, the walls will absolutely add a lot more stress on the structure and guy lines are also necessary. And a really strong blow will break the legs,ribs, etc.

Remember, you don't have to just worry about losing your shade, but about all the people downwind of your former shade.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:24 pm

But I've seen the winds get very bad.
And you're not always there at your camp when they start up.
I think the extra mild weather in recent years has lulled people into false security about iffy structures.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:26 pm

We have owned a total of seven of these. Never again. One survives undamaged, and one is bent but can likely survive one more trip. The rest have been recycled. This in a period of four years. These were all damaged in "normal" camping where the winds never exceeded 30 mph. All were staked and guyed. None were the cheap knock-offs.

If you bring one, be prepared to have it reduced to scrap. When not using it, pull the cover off (there is velcro at each leg that holds the cover in place) so there is nothing but a bare frame. The bare frame will usually survive unscathed in all but hurricane force winds.

Finally, remember that once it is damaged, it WILL NOT FOLD UP. You will need to break it apart and stick the sharp pieces in your car or trailer. Icky.

They are better than nothing, but not by a bunch. :cry: Have a backup plan for shade if possible.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

What kind of car and what is her schedule over the next week? It takes maybe two hours to build a monkey hut and 10' pvc fits in alot of vehicles. Also, there are mods in here for 5' rebar legs with connectors.

A kodiak won't fit under the standard model, but you can bring a cot, hammock or even just a good chair to doze off in the shade in the middle of the day. If you're night was awesome enough, sleeping shouldn't be a problem..
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Also, someone on the board here used a kelty sunshade and said it worked well. Again, not going to get a bug tent under there, but it would be enough to lounge in.

Sic Semper Spectatores

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:But I've seen the winds get very bad.
And you're not always there at your camp when they start up.
I think the extra mild weather in recent years has lulled people into false security about iffy structures.
This cannot be emphasized enough. The winds were high enough last week to roll over an office trailer - twice. So that it's wheels were up in the air. What chance does your EZ_Up have against that? Over engineer for the playa, always.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

SLOKnightfall
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Fandango

Post by SLOKnightfall » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm

I've used one in the past and it survived the week for two years. Your mileage may vary tho due to different brands of them and what the weather is like. When I had them I staked down each leg, then used tarp clips to guy down the canopy from the edges and then a rope circle with 4 ropes coming off it placed on top of the canopy, with the ropes staked down. I'd also reccomend going to a hardware store and getting a few rolls of shade cloth & a grommet kit for the walls instead of buying actual EZup walls. The shade cloth will provide enough shade but will also let some of the wind pass through which will keep the tent cooler and help lessen the force of wind battering the EZup vs having solid walls.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

I have two stories about EZ ups. One good, one bad. First though, I have never used one. I did use a North Pole Party tent and I wish you could still find those things - great for the playa, but for you not a solution anyway because a Kodiak wouldn't fit in it (I don't think?!).

Anyway. Good story. My first year I camped with a bunch of veterans. One of them brings a mini van and a EZ up. He had it set up at 2/3 legs (not fully up) and strapped like a MO-FO at each corner. For extra stability he had a table that fit perfectly on one side that was also strapped down and rebarred and I think it helped stabilize the whole thing (plus my cargo van was on the wind side and shielded the whole set up a bit). It was also somehow strapped to the mini van. Quite a puzzle but impressive and a comfie space.

Second story. Not so good- two years ago (maybe? I don't know, they blend together). Some virgins set up behind/next us. They put an EZ up over their crappy meshy tent and did a half hearted strap job. On day two or three when a LIGHT wind storm came through the EZ up broke but because it was somewhat strapped didn't fly away. They didn't take it down, but removed the cover and left the skeleton until packing day and then had to tie this broken pile of metal shit on the top of the their car. It was sad. I tried to tell them on day one that they were in danger of a mess, but they didn't want to hear it.

If you need shade and are on a budget - go monkey hut and cot. keep the Kodiak for night sleeping and storage, but no way would I bring an EZ up.
In dust we trust.

Freedyjay

Post by Freedyjay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Okay, I'll try to push her towards a monkey hut.

Appreciate all the advice!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Freedyjay wrote:Okay, I'll try to push her towards a monkey hut.

Appreciate all the advice!
Here is some chat about the kinds of vehicles that can accommodate the PVC for a monkey hut.
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=70698

It really is an affordable and resilient solution, and not that difficult to put up. My campmate and I did one in 2009.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”