Sign on my tarp

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Sign on my tarp

Post by stephen2u » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 pm

I have been thinking of putting a sign on my 20x20 tarp so that Google earth would see it, something like F.U. Something I donot know what, what would you do?
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Sign on my tarp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

stephen2u wrote:I have been thinking of putting a sign on my 20x20 tarp so that Google earth would see it, something like F.U.
HAHAHAHA!!! Love it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:48 pm

One year DPW arranged some containers to say "insane" just before the satellite pass. Another year the airport guys did a message using human bodies.

You will be part of a long and proud tradition. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:51 pm

I what ot do some think big, maybe Google sucks!! That would be funny
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:51 pm

I think I have seen that they sometimes blur out objectionalble things in StrreetView, so I imagine they could do the same with Earth.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:31 pm

stephen2u wrote:I what ot do some think big, maybe Google sucks!! That would be funny
Make sure you get someone else to spell check it for you then :-P

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 pm

stephen2u wrote:I have been thinking of putting a sign on my 20x20 tarp so that Google earth would see it, something like F.U. Something I donot know what, what would you do?
I know that I would want to spell out something important to me. That could be F-U, I suppose (if that's what I wanted to immortalize me for the next year-plus) but it could also be a hello to a friend, a heart, initials, etc . . .

Is F.U. a symbol of something you want to say this year, or just the funniest thing that occurred to you? (Nothing wrong with that).

I will say that it has to be a fairly simple design if you're going with a 20 x 20. I can always find my 10 x 10 tent, but I know I wouldn't be able to read something on it. 20 x 20 would only be the beginning of being able to discern something painted or drawn on it, so keep it pretty simple (F.U. might actually read) or use a bigger structure.

Regardless, good luck! Finding myself on the satellite photo is always a thrill. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:52 am

That could also be a great art piece laid out in deep playa.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:10 am

If you wanted to spend a couple of hours in the deep playa with a rake and a GPS, you could have some real fun. :mrgreen:

Better yet, co-opt a water truck driver and time it perfectly. The playa is your palette!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:22 am

Temporary Nazca lines: is that a rare rear-winged short-winged round-tipped humming bird, or a ...
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:59 am

The F.U. Thing was just for fun, but I would like to put a formulation of the Quantum state of
Schrödinger's cat on it.

silas thatcher
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: psychedelic sea dogs

Post by silas thatcher » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:26 am

been thinking the same thing, but nothing that anyone would find offensive... you know, kinda making my "mark" on things...

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am

i also think it should be a contrast like white and black

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Canoe wrote:Temporary Nazca lines: is that a rare rear-winged short-winged round-tipped humming bird, or a ...
Something like this maybe?

JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:31 am

Search on this board for "Mega Pixels" (megapixels?), possibly using Sputnik as an additional term. or author.

And back at the dawn of history, when there were helicopters hovering over my sister's junior high (I don't know if "middle school" didn't exist, or if it just wasn't applied locally), she and her friends would lie down on the ground spelling out things like "fuck" with their bodies. At times, towels were used as well.

Ah, "Occupied Berkeley", what a place to raise kids.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 am

Junior High: Grades 7, 8, 9. We had Junior High in Cleveland too.
JK

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 am

Do you think they would block out something like occupy if i paint that?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am

Who are "they"? Who does the passes over, I don't think it's the government...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:37 am

I think the 'they' in this case would be Google.
JK

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 pm

We don't get a high resolution scan every year, and they have to be done by airplane rather than satellite. Typically satellite's best resolution is about a half-meter, meaning that a 20x20 tarp will be about 12x12 pixels (not guaranteed to be sharp either). The aerial shots for 2013 are on Google Maps now and are pretty good, here's someone using billboard vinyl as flooring and it's pretty readable: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7756438 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Found another one https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7811564 ... a=!3m1!1e3

And finally, a crude message and drawing that are a little too small to be effective (SUCK THIS USA perhaps?): https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7755,-1 ... a=!3m1!1e3

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:26 am

Agaton wrote:I think I have seen that they sometimes blur out objectionalble things in StrreetView, so I imagine they could do the same with Earth.
Sometimes they blur out things to make them "objectionable". We have a bar called the Brass Ring & Google street view blurred out the Br & R so it looked like "ass ing" I thought it was funny considering the bar is across the street from our local Google office building. Maybe its their way of marking their territory?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:53 am

I think this is a relative importance to a society so my sign there will be a statement of injustice to this society. Google photograph of burning man will be on the web for as long as the web stands and so people when they look back at this photograph will know that there were people not happy with the society, maybe it might lead to a change.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 pm

It won't, but have fun!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 pm

stephen2u wrote:something like F.U. Something I donot know what, what would you do?
I would put something NICE on it. This is my vacation in the desert. Not a march on the capitol.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:55 am

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 am

Ratty wrote:
stephen2u wrote:something like F.U. Something I donot know what, what would you do?
I would put something NICE on it. This is my vacation in the desert. Not a march on the capitol.
I agree.
JK

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Changing the world, one peace sign on a tarp at Burning Man at a time.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”