Canopy fittings for multiple size tubings

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
sagittandy
Burning Since: 2007

Canopy fittings for multiple size tubings

Post by sagittandy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Do any vendors sell canopy fittings designed for different sized tubings?
For example, one diameter for the verticals, and another diameter for the horizontals?

Reason: Using different diameter tubings would allow me to slide the smaller tubes inside the larger ones, during storage and transport. This could cut space requirements in half.

YSBW does not, and I haven't found any others. (And I don't want to weld my own yet :- )
Thanks for any leads,
Andy

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Canopy fittings for multiple size tubings

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Maybe you will find. Have you calculated how much space you will save? Consider looking for some plastic pipe that can nest to reduce the size, you could fill gaps between 2 sleeve sizes with silicone calk. Steel fence pipe and the fittings come in gages, controlling the inside diameter. Aluminum pipe has a wide range of id/od options for making sleeves. Canopies and Tarps has same size fittings.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

sagittandy
Burning Since: 2007

Post by sagittandy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 am

Sleeves! Bushings! Collars! Thanks for the good idea.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:01 am

interesting concept. however like many things on playa, they will get bent, hammered together during assembly, covered in dust. what slid together at home may be a way larger pile when you get ready to leave the playa.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

burn_shady
Burning Since: 2013

Post by burn_shady » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 pm

EspressoDude wrote:interesting concept. however like many things on playa, they will get bent, hammered together during assembly, covered in dust. what slid together at home may be a way larger pile when you get ready to leave the playa.
Amen. I had this issue with PVC last year. I ended up cutting the really bent pieces that I couldn't force into place such that the straight parts slipped in to where they needed to and the parts that were problematic, I either trimmed off completely or left sticking out because it wasn't that bad.

With all of that said, the proposal of sleeves and collars is the way to go. In my constructions, I try to keep a "lego" mentality of keeping all major pieces the same and interchangeable with lots of sleeves and collars, resorting to smaller, specialized pieces when absolutely necessary. I only have differing diameters when I need them, not for ease of transport. With that said, I think every large diameter piece I took contained another, smaller piece, which I then also put my rebar into and secured the ends to keep things from slipping on out during transport.

John Lee Pedimore
Burning Since: 2018

Post by John Lee Pedimore » Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 am

Some of the Costco canopies have fitting with different sizes but I've never seen them offer for sale by the piece.Technically,you don't need the fitting to be different sizes you only need longer set screws.For instance,I have used 3/4" EMT inside a 1" EMT fitting with no problems.In fact,sometimes the original screw is long enough to clamp down.In your mind it seems like it would be way too sloppy but if you try it you'll see it's just as rigid as the correct size pipe.Just as long as the screw is long enough to clamp down on the pipe.In any canopy the weakest link is the pipe itself so you make find that losing the rigidity isn't worth the space you save.Results may vary.Here's a link to a video I made that shows what pipe fits inside what.

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Post by krly » Tue May 19, 2015 3:01 pm

If you were to buy the "connectors" you could at least cut your emt in half. I think it would work out MUCH cheaper than finding/buying such a "specialized" connector (?)
krly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 pm

I don't know of any that offer them like that, no.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for a couple reasons. First, if any of your poles get a slight bend in them... then they kind of become useless for being able to slide poles inside or outside of them. I use 1" EMT conduit, which is plenty strong for the structure and anything the playa can dish out... but those poles do bend from normal use. The second reason I wouldn't do that is that the structure will only be as strong as the weakest/thinnest pole (yet cost a whole lot more). So aside from seeking out or making specialized connectors and forking out dough for thicker poles for half the structure, it'd only be as strong as the cheaper pole. Conduit shade poles don't take up tons of space (especially considering the amount of shade they provide), you may want to consider building some kind of box or frame to keep your shade poles contained so you can easily stack and store the poles wherever your camp's parts live during the off season. Good luck with whichever direction you go!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”