Cot, Sleeping bag or air mattress?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
ecoita
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Cot, Sleeping bag or air mattress?

Post by ecoita » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am

Gooday all!

I've done plenty of camping at state parks and lake sides, but I'm curious of the environment there at BM. How much dust tracks into your tent making the floor an icky gritty mess (hence cot) or a bit dusty but not that bad (sleeping bag or mattress)? What's your preference for sleeping comfortably? I've seen people swear by all 3 (air mattress, cots and sleeping bags) but how do you transport all of that? It seems there is only so much one can carry on the plane...
If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Sham

Re: Cot, Sleeping bag or air mattress?

Post by Sham » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

When I travel by plane, I bring an air mattress in my suitcase. I've used the thin self inflating ones and I found that works well. I've also used the ones that need to be blown up with a pump, but found that those deflate and sag in the middle during the night. If I were able to transport it, I would bring a cot, but that's not practical when coming a long distance on a plane. You can always buy one once you land, but you're just spending money for one weeks use.

I have a warm sleeping bag (20 degree) along with a thin fleece blanket and pillow. I put this into a space bag and suck the air out of it so it fits into my suitcase. I also have a small 7x9 tent that fits in the suitcase as well. Instant home! :D

Bodmin
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Point V

Post by Bodmin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:59 am

I was looking at something like this:

It packs up small and looks comfortable.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 am

First year I used a sleeping pad and was freezing.

I have since upgraded to queen size inflatable mattress.

Cots are comfortable but make inviting someone back to your tent a bit awkward.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 am

VultureChow wrote: Cots are comfortable but make inviting someone back to your tent a bit awkward.
8)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

It all depends upon the size of the cot I suppose. Or your invitee.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:53 am

I suppose you could always let them curl up at the foot of the cot like a god dog.
Sic Semper Spectatores

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Tents can often get a lot of dust tracked it. It's not gritty dust thought, it's a fine powder that gets everywhere. If it's a windy year, you could have actual drifts of dust in the tent. It can get chilly at night, but very unlikely to get below freezing. I don't use a tent anymore, but would recommend bringing the best sleeping arrangement you can afford and fit into your luggage. A good night's sleep is hard to come by out there, but it helps you survive the rest of the event if you are well rested. I would prob bring a small twin-size air mattress, sleep bag, and inflatable pillow. The twin mattress is not too big to blow up without a pump, and you may be able to borrow a pump from a neighbor. Just add air before you go to sleep each night because yes, the temperature change will cause it to deflate at night. Also bring an old spare sheet. When you leave your tent in the morning, put the sheet over your air bed and sleeping bag. It will minimize the dust on your bedding. Also ambien, sleep-mask, ear plugs, and breathe-right nose strips are amazing! I take my sleep pretty seriously I guess.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 pm

I use this. You can't beat it for comfort.

GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Definintely inflatable mattress. Sleeping through a "cold" night at Burning Man isn't so bad - just add a few layers. Even the coldest night out there isn't all that bad. The bigger problem is sleeping once the sun has come up. Once it does so, any tent will quickly become an insufferable oven. With a nice air mattress, you can simply pull it out of the tent and set up in the shade somewhere for another few hours of sleep, and the cushion of air beneath you will keep you cool. Cooler. Nothing will keep you cool.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Forget the cot. An air mattress is a must. You can get by with a cheap pool flotation one. Buy it after you get here. You can put your sleeping bag in a plastic garbage bag during the day to keep the dust out of it. When you fly wear all of your heavy clothes. At night your capes and coats can double as pillows and blankets. I wear footed fleece sleepers and I'm usually too hot in my sleeping bag. (I'm on an air mattress in my van.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:00 pm

I have seen some crazy-awesome air mattress beds. One that starts off as rolling suitcase...you plug it in and press a buttons, and it unfolds the air mattress as well as an honest-to-goodness folding metal bed frame that supports the air mattress about a foot above the ground. The main pump inflates quickly, but it also has an auxiliary pump that silently maintains pressure. Unfortunately these things are like 300 bucks so I make do either with a mattress that must be inflated every night, or a futon mattress.

[media]

This year I might spring for something dual-duty though...it would fit well with the luxa-yurt:

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 pm

I prefer a cot as it is by far the most comfortable option I've found. I leave it in a storage locker so transport by plane is not an issue.

I bring a queen sized air mattress and air pump with me for entertaining guests as the cot has a definite weight limit.

Expect a lot of dust in your tent, and much of it will never wash out. It is not really a gritty mess though - more like the texture of talcum powder. Personally I've made peace with it and actually enjoy the dustiness, but your mileage may vary.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 pm

I use an air mattress that uses a pump and I sleep, pretty good in fact, in the bed of my truck with a shell. Whether at BM or plain camping on BLM land here in Nevada. Got the mattress at BIG 5 sporting goods.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 pm

I use a queen size air mattress, one of the double tall ones. Takes longer to air up but also takes alot longer to deflate, I only have to air it up once or twice during the week. Might buy a new one this year. Mines about 6 years old.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

hug+kiss
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Post by hug+kiss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Air mattress with a sleeping bag. I got one that blows up with battery power. An extra fleece blanket or sweatshirt with a hood for particularly cold nights. After you get up cover your whole bed with a sheet to keep the dust off. I also keep a clean pillow case in a ziplock, sometimes I'm not happy falling asleep to the smell of playa dust.

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:21 am

i have a very small tent that i use only for sleeping at night. it's just big enough for a single size mattress and one person. i put down a silver heat barrier on the ground, then an air mattress (covered with a fitted sheet), then a fuck-ton of blankets: comforter -> sleeping bag -> comforter -> furry blanket. (i am a nester. i like to burrow and snuggle. YMMV.) my little cocoon gets warm enough that i have to occasionally kick some blankets off and i was actually able to sleep in nothing but socks & a hat a couple of times in 2013.

and as someone else said, an air mattress can be dragged outside for more sleep. i like using mine for afternoon naps in the shade.

edited to add: because i only use my tiny tent for sleeping at night, i can zip it up and leave it shut all day which helps keep down the dust. of course, i'm a filthy animal and sometimes crawl into bed dirty so my stuff ends up dusty anyway *shrug* if you practice some self discipline, you could keep a bed fairly clean under the same circumstances.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

MFOB
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Hot Mayo

Post by MFOB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

I use one of these,
https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com ... ENEST.html

Super Comfortable, and could fit in your fanny pack if you so desire.

To hang it, get creative, but here is a solution. Get 2 sticks and some paracord. Guy out the sticks at 45 deg and hang the nest and your good to go.

Best night of sleep you'll have. I've broke my back 3 times and a doublenest is the bees knees for sleeping. I feel better when I wake up in this than I do in my $3000 fancy ass mattress.
These angles are all fenced up!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm not pushing a specific brand but I used one of these last year & it was awesome. Extremely comfortable, stayed inflated pretty well, but it did need to be aired up once midweek. It's not a whole lot bigger than an air mattress + pump, but you will need access to power(internal pump). With all the mud in my tent it kept me & my bedding high & dry. Best of all It's big enough for two (so I've heard...ahem). Of course I was not restricted by what I could carry/fly with so you will have to choose what not to pack if you take it. But really, if you are considering a cot anyway this would be my choice.

http://www.intexcorp.com/67951e.html
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:43 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I use this. You can't beat it for comfort.

Thanks Capt. I almost shot coffee out my nose on that one :-)

......but you may be on to something.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Suggest having some insulation under you, or in-bed shared heat. i use an air mattress with a wool blanket under flannel sheets and a comforter over in a tent. Just like camping, you could end up with every layer on under the covers. There are many discussions on ePlaya of shipping in or shipping out camping supplies for participants who travel by air.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Thanks Capt. I almost shot coffee out my nose on that one :-)

......but you may be on to something.
It's comfy and has a place to hold your beer can!

ecoita
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Post by ecoita » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips. I will look at all the options but leaning towards air mattress and sleeping bags/sheets! :P
If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Ive used an air mattress and been very cold on it. In my experience you need as much blankets under you to insulate yourself from the heat robbing nature of air mattresses as you do over you to keep yourself properly warm through the night. Bring lots of blankets. Not having enough is a big deal. Too many not so much.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Ive used an air mattress and been very cold on it. In my experience you need as much blankets under you to insulate yourself from the heat robbing nature of air mattresses as you do over you to keep yourself properly warm through the night. Bring lots of blankets. Not having enough is a big deal. Too many not so much.
100% agreed on this, woke up shivering uncontrollably my first night ever on the playa. Sleeping on top of a unzipped sleeping bag, or even better one of those thin memory foam toppers, helps a lot.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 pm

If you decide on sheets to cover your bed make them 100% cotton. I learned the first year that you can't take a nap in hot weather on a polyester bag or blanket.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 am

some seeing eye wrote:Suggest having some insulation under you, or in-bed shared heat. i use an air mattress with a wool blanket under flannel sheets and a comforter over in a tent. Just like camping, you could end up with every layer on under the covers.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this before in this thread.

Without something between your body and the air mattress (and a sheet doesn't count) your body heat will be sucked away as you sleep and you'll wake up clamy and grumpy. Possibly with a lot of the air gone from the mattress, also.

Pump it up hard before sleep and have some good insulation between your body and the vinyl.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am

DoctorIknow wrote: Pump it up hard before sleep
Good advice for everyone.
Sic Semper Spectatores

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 am

VultureChow wrote:
DoctorIknow wrote: Pump it up hard before sleep
Good advice for everyone.
camp pump.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”