Are there bugs in the desert?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Are there bugs in the desert?

Post by trilobyte » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:32 pm

There are bugs. More often than not I encounter them during build week, and not so much during the event itself. I've encountered dragonflies, a praying mantis, and once even a tiny little wind scorpion hiding out under a clump of playa that got displaced as we staked down a structure in 2004.

This guy blew in on a big gust during build week in 2011 and landed on my hat. He fucked off of his own accord shortly thereafter.

As others have said, though, people are far more likely to bring creatures along with them. You will not need to bring bug spray or guard against mosquitoes or teeming life. You will, however, want to keep your RV/tent sealed up anyways, because... DUST. The dust is finer grained than sand, more like the consistency of baking flour.. except that it's rich in alkali and actually corrosive. It can get everywhere even when you're vigilant, and all it takes is an open window/door/tent flap during one of the many dust storms or random kickups...

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:08 am

One year ants started crawling out of the crevases of my van. Killed a line every morning; first they looked like they were going for my food, and then they just started stopping at the sink. Haven't had a repeat, thank dog!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Flies, gnats, spiders, Birds, flying fish, flying monkeys,Random thoughts, missed opportunities,
Furry woodland creatures, hurled fruit, hurling Aussies...
The list goes on.
Prepare for rain of flaming toads and you'll do fine.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:01 pm

I did see a bumblebee and a cricket one year.

But the bugs I've seen most are while frantically coding on a laptop with failing battery in a dust storm trying to get the art installation up and running.

Mids

Post by Mids » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:19 am

Certainly seems like there is going to be this year! Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm Australian so camping with bugs is part of life, but it seems pretty extreme out there. I also now live in London where we don't really get bugs at all....

Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 am

:lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Great. Now they're in the subway.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Just try not to get captured by the Brain Bug if you stumble down there. He's been to "the burning MAN" longer than anyone including Larry and is actively courted to join the DPW ranks but refuses because he has a goddess relaxing back in his chill space.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”