Where do I set up my tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Where do I set up my tent?

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 pm

As of now I'm still doing this solo and I'm a big old burgen. Are there specific places for people to pitch their tent or other then assigned camps is it just wide open spaces? I don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere with a long hike or ride to everything.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Where do I set up my tent?

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 pm

If you are camping single it's no problem to find a spot. After the gates open on Sunday You come on in. Don't feel rushed. Lots of people arrive all through the week. Park your car. Look around. Don't be shy. Ask silly questions of the people already set up. Take a load off. Have a beer. (Don't drink and drive.) Study the map. Take a nap in someone's shade structure. Wake up beside a beautiful woman. (Yes, I'm making assumptions here.) Pitch your tent. Fall in love. Have a playa wedding. Spend the most glorious week of your life. Make promises. Break promises and do it all over again next year. She won't mind. It's not her first rodeo.

Derby Dave 18, Start reading the info on the BM home page now. Then come back for us to fill in the blanks. If you would like to search prior posts on eplaya use Google with 'eplaya' in the search. All the answers are here. Welcome.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:35 pm

*fetches dog biscuit*

viewtopic.php?f=403&t=73012

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:01 am

Dave. Wigwam here. Maybe a straight answer is best. Generally, the shaded areas on the map are for "placed" camps. The non shaded areas are reserved for solo campers who want to camp alone. That doesn't mean you can't ask to join a camp. That's how I ended up hooking up with my camp. What does tend to happen though is, someone drives up on Tuesday, sees a great spot and starts to set up camp and then is told politely (and sometimes not so politely) that it's reserved for theme camp members. Some camps are more easygoing than others. I think the best approach really is to talk to *everybody*. Take your time, look around.

I'm with the Wanderers camp. Come by at about 4:00 each day for Toxic Tonic and hot dogs!
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Wigwam wrote:Dave. Wigwam here. Maybe a straight answer is best. Generally, the shaded areas on the map are for "placed" camps. The non shaded areas are reserved for solo campers who want to camp alone for everybody else.
Fixed it.

Just a clarification: a "placed camp" is one that's filled out a theme camp application & has been given an official location by BMan. You are not one of those (this year)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi DerbyDave!

Here's an old thread about camping location:
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=29356

You'll receive a map at Greeters', but you can also see it here:
http://burningman.org/event/black-rock- ... -city-map/

The purple areas are Theme Camp Areas. If you're not in a theme camp, camp in the white areas. It'll be bigger and roomier than it looks, and streets are even occasionally added on the outside if needed.

50+ yards from a potty bank is nice (not so close as to be awakened by the doors closing) . . . though an empty 75-100oz detergent bottle is good to have if you don't even want to go that far. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Wigwam

Post by Wigwam » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Eric,

Thanks for that. It was poorly worded...at best.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Wigwam wrote:Eric,

Thanks for that. It was poorly worded...at best.
We all watch out for each other here. :D
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks to all. The more information I acquire the lesd nervous going as a solo virgin. One thing.. Ratty, the assumption. Not exactly on the spot.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Zoom in and pick your spot!!! :lol:

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/115712
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:20 am

Dave, then you are in good company here.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Ratty, i was wondering about about what the experience would be for those of the alternative life style way of living. Any tips or pointers you can give me?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Chances are, if you go to BRC, you're living some type of 'alternative' lifestyle. :roll:

The 7:30 spoke, affectionately termed the Red Light district, is generally chock full of LGBTQ friendly camps, BDSM friendly camps, and adult oriented camps. 8)

If you'd like more personally tailored suggestions, send a PM and I'll give you whatever low down I can.

now I'm gonna get all sorts of PMs from pervs, wheeeee! :mrgreen:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 am

Dave. Believe me. Your lifestyle and personal choices are NOT an issue. This one week in the desert is as close as you'll get to a non judgemental community. Admittedly it's harder for the 1st year attendees to put aside their 'normal' views. After they see a few pairs of 300 pound naked lesbian jugglers they realize everything is OK. No really. Everything is normal at that thing in the desert. Age, sexual preference, religion, nationality, disability, beautiful, plain or wretched we are all there for the same thing. A week long vacation in a fun loving community. Be yourself. Your true self without the mask.

If you do run into any situation that's uncomfortable just move along. For every one thing that you do, there are thousands of other choices. I suggest that you dive right in when you get there. Help strangers put up their shade. Carry someone's ice on your bike. Visit all the neighbors by your camp. Don't bother reading the WWW book on the first day. Head for Center Camp and you probably won't make it. Practice saying YES and have fun.

Arthur Schopenhauer

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:08 am

Ratty wrote: Practice saying YES
This is my #1 rule!
For the record my #2 rule is "Don't Die"
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:40 am

Here's a tip - when you arrive and are asking potential neighbors if the area is clear for camping, also ask them from which direction the sun rises (so you can wisely set up your shade), and from which direction the prevailing winds are coming (so you can park your car to shield your tent).

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 am

Ratty wrote: Practice saying YES and have fun.
Yes!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:38 am

When they take your tickets at the gate ask them to set up an appointment with the psychics. I find the tarot readers give me better campsites than the crystal ball readers and that those who take auguries really have a hard time being in the least bit kromulent.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:11 am

OMG! OMG! OMG! You mean the OP is (*gasp!*) GAY?!?!? (-faints away-) :mrgreen:

I say that to say this: The really cool thing about Burning Man is NOBODY CARES! Heck, an alien spaceship could land and folks would be saying "oh THEM? Yeah, they come by every year. Wait till you see their art car with the death ray. I think the navigator has a side-gig driving for Uber in the Heights..."

You will understand when you hit the playa. And BTW, WELCOME! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm

DerbyDave 18 wrote:Ratty, i was wondering about about what the experience would be for those of the alternative life style way of living. Any tips or pointers you can give me?
"Alternative" is living in a tiny house built on a truck bed while driving around the country trying to turn dairy farmers vegan. Everything else is just a variation on "normal".

My camp is mostly straight, at this point we're probably a third GBT (somehow we don't have any "L"'s this year, but two of our B's are F's... :lol: ), no one cares. Be yourself and you should do fine.

Eric ShutterSlut

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Eric wrote:Be yourself and you should do fine.
The only thing burners find difficult to accept is a person who is not fully clothed...is not nude...wearing a t-shirt, but not wearing anything else. Assuming the person has a penis, this is known as a shirtcocker.

Make out with a same-sex vampire while rubbing peanut butter into each others' hair while blasting a 4-hour recording of a piano recital where no one practiced enough, if that's what you're into. No one will judge...but for all that is Larry, do it either naked or clothed.

Wigwam

Post by Wigwam » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Seems to me coming home *defines* you as someone who leads an alternate lifestyle.

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Sounds great guys. I've actually spent most of my life working in a career that is anything but normal. Being a roller derby skater you see all sorts of things and people over the years, especially when we traveled for our games. I have though had to deal with my share of haters over the years so I do like to scope out things I'm planning on being a part of. And also thanks for the continued tips on how to do things.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Hey, you should check out Black Rock Roller Disco, they bring a rink floor and lots of skates; they also have a derby
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Cool! I'll bring my skates and go disco and derby it up.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 pm

DerbyDave 18 wrote:Sounds great guys. I've actually spent most of my life working in a career that is anything but normal. Being a roller derby skater you see all sorts of things and people over the years, especially when we traveled for our games. I have though had to deal with my share of haters over the years so I do like to scope out things I'm planning on being a part of. And also thanks for the continued tips on how to do things.
Forget that Black Rock Disco crap. You need to meet Misa, who skates for the Prague team under the name Body Czech!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:29 pm

You may have been to two county fairs and a hog cuttin'. but you ain't never seen nothing like this......
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Cryptofish, the girl's league skaters and the pro derby skaters have a kind of touchy relationship with each other. Maybe I can use my time here to mend some fences between the two..and maybe teach them how to throw a proper block.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 pm

DerbyDave 18 wrote:Maybe I can use my time here to mend some fences between the two..and maybe teach them how to throw a proper block.

Sounds like you're gonna get blocked right in the face. :roll:

DerbyDave 18

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 am

By a girl?? Like that could ever happen. :wink:

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”