Where do I set up my tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Where do I set up my tent?

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 am

You haven't met Misa ;)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:58 am

DerbyDave 18 wrote:By a girl?? Like that could ever happen. :wink:

Oh I get it, you like pain. You should drop by Retrofrolic during the burn then ;)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:12 am

I have a family of roller girls. Back Bay Bombshells. Insane Aslay Em. And Orange County Roller Girls (Juniors). I know just what your talking about.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am

Ratty wrote:I have a family of roller girls. Back Bay Bombshells. Insane Aslay Em. And Orange County Roller Girls (Juniors). I know just what your talking about.
Wait, are you in OC? :shock:

banjobabe
Burning Since: 2015

Post by banjobabe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:You may have been to two county fairs and a hog cuttin'. but you ain't never seen nothing like this......
I have a friend that says "I've been to two worlds fairs and a goat roast, but I ain't never seen something like that." :)

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 am

DerbyDave 18 wrote:Ratty, i was wondering about about what the experience would be for those of the alternative life style way of living. Any tips or pointers you can give me?
Derby, I feel I should share an experience I had an BRC. I was newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease and it was not only my first time camping after this, but also my first time out to the dust. I came to a camp with a game set up. I played for fun and won a beer (which I can't drink :( ). The guy running the booth offered a kiss. I politely declined and explained I was gay. The woman next to him offered up a gluten-free bar and a kiss.

No one in the desert cares. It is your life and BRC is about radical INCLUSION. Don't exclude others or yourself out of fear.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am

Digital, No. I'm in Northern Ca. but I have cousins and 2nd cousins all over the place. I used to watch the derby on TV and practices live in Montebello.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ellis
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Ellis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 am

Hello! my name is Ellis from the Netherlands and hopefully I will be a burner for the first time this year!! I'm doing some research what is best to do etc. because I probably will travel from san francisco with the burner express bus with a backpack and tent. I was wondering if you could give me some tips for how to bring the water? Does anyone have any experience regarding this topic? I would be delighted if someone could give me some advice...Thank you so much in advance already :) kind regards, Ellis
Hoping to be a burner in 2017!!! So HAPPY!!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:19 am

There is a. Burner express link in the burningman web page. It will tell you about how people who rode the bus could get water at the burn. I'm sorry I don't know the specifics but I do remember reading about it last year.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 am

Since it rains everyday, most of us just collect the rain water in large barrels and that seems to work out pretty well.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

Ellis listen to Lucky. You can make arrangements with the bus company in advance. You also bring your own containers and pay up front.

Arthur Schopenhauer

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:49 pm

ERIC: My camp is mostly straight, at this point we're probably a third GBT (somehow we don't have any "L"'s this year, but two of our B's are F's... :lol: ), no one cares.

Thanks, I need to clean my screen from spitting Dew all over it!! LOL :D Must have been the moment but I scared my dog I laughed so hard.

Sorry, Carry on.... :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Ellis wrote:Hello! my name is Ellis from the Netherlands and hopefully I will be a burner for the first time this year!! I'm doing some research what is best to do etc. because I probably will travel from san francisco with the burner express bus with a backpack and tent. I was wondering if you could give me some tips for how to bring the water? Does anyone have any experience regarding this topic? I would be delighted if someone could give me some advice...Thank you so much in advance already :) kind regards, Ellis
Hi Ellis. Beginning last year Burner Express let you buy water on playa IF you travelled in by bus. I expect it will be the same this year. You need to bring your own containers though. If you use the standard "gas can" looking containers they take up as much space full as empty and you are charged by the bag but not by weight :wink: . If you bring the roll up type there are a lot of stories about leaks. Remember, you need to bring in food for a week also. I think that the SF bus does not stop for food and water, you have to board with it all. Also, access to the SF bus is either drop off or by Metro/Underground/ whatever they call it in SF. Some of the Reno busses stop at Keystone shopping center for food, water, etc.

I've taken the bus for the past four years, bringing my entire camp with me. Last year I brought only half my water and pre bought the rest from Burner Express. Containers where a PITA but it worked ok. You can buy ice at Artica, on playa. If you keep ice in gallon ziplocks it is still clean and drinkable when it melts. Don't forget your electrolytes!

I always remember my summer in Den Haag. You have a fine country, friendly people.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”