Road vs camp footprint enforcement strictness?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Road vs camp footprint enforcement strictness?

Post by sparr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:29 am

How exact/strict is the enforcement of the edge where placed camps (or even open camping) meet the roads? If my tent is "inside the line" and I've got a (well lit) guy line outside by an inch or a foot or ten feet, how bad is that? Is the permanence of the obstruction relevant? That is, if all of my staked-down stuff is inside the lines, but I've got a ladder or a chair outside the lines, is that better?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Road vs camp footprint enforcement strictness?

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:35 am

You can't put anything on the roads. Period.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:38 am

Sparr, keep your damn Zorb off the roads.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 am

We have a ten foot setback from the road to assist with all that. Roads need to remain clear. It is enforced by our own Rangers, by law enforcement, and staff. Strictly. This is a matter of safety and being a good citizen.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 am

tamarakay wrote:Roads need to remain clear. It is enforced by our own Rangers, by law enforcement, and staff. Strictly. This is a matter of safety and being a good citizen.
This.

Don't think we won't cut/move that shit if it endangers movement on roads.

sparr

Post by sparr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 pm

tamarakay wrote:We have a ten foot setback from the road to assist with all that.
"We" your camp, or "We" the people laying down the road / camp boundary lines?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:19 pm

I always worry that some late night arrival/departure will drive right over anything near the road, like me, my tent, etc. This is why our camp has set up a first-year-burner buffer zone between the road and stuff that matters.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:27 pm

it is advised (by me, maybe others) to put your tent 10 or more feet from a road. MV's are not always piloted with skill, bikes swerve and crash, etc. And a guy wire/rope, and stake, is a big hazard, to all.
SOME people will purposely snag a guy rope or the like if it's in the road, and drive away with it accidentally hooked to a vehicle. let alone if they trip on or are injured by a stake driven in the ground.

Just don't do it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Nothing in the road. Period.

Also, the water trucks will water a foot or two off the road. If you are on the edge, your shit will get soaked.

Like TamaraKay, we choose to set our camp/art project about five to ten feet back from the edge of the road. It is good practice, and good citizenship.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 pm

sparr wrote:
tamarakay wrote:We have a ten foot setback from the road to assist with all that.
"We" your camp, or "We" the people laying down the road / camp boundary lines?
We the camp. We enforce our own buffer. Since most if not all of our village frontage is now taken up with interactive camps that draw big crowds (tk's is hugely popular) or art, we have cyclists parking in front constantly. It's been known to cause traffic jams. Having the buffer not only protects our art and structures, but allows visitors to park their bikes without fear of having them run over by a mobile tuna sandwich with limited visibility.
Sic Semper Spectatores

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 pm

sparr wrote:How exact/strict is the enforcement of the edge where placed camps (or even open camping) meet the roads? If my tent is "inside the line" and I've got a (well lit) guy line outside by an inch or a foot or ten feet, how bad is that? Is the permanence of the obstruction relevant? That is, if all of my staked-down stuff is inside the lines, but I've got a ladder or a chair outside the lines, is that better?
It will be a temporary issue that is easily remedied. Probably best to avoid the issue all together.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

As everyone said, our village. Works fantastically well. We call the area outside our monkey hut "the beach" and many shenanigans happen along there.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 pm

My first year, I didn't realize until late in the week, but my car was technically parked on the street by a few inches. The flags marking the streets can be a bit tough to spot sometimes. Nothing ever came of it, not a single problem, and I couldn't move it because I was sort of boxed in... shitty, but so it goes. It was a spoke (8:30), don't know If that makes a difference. Sometimes it can be really hard to hell, especially for your first time.

On the other hand, last year some virgins in my camp decided to set up a sign a little too close to the roadway, but still technically "in bounds". They didn't illuminate it. I wasn't surprised to find it totally smashed after one night, with a bike tire mark going up it, as if someone accidentally hit it.

So, YMMV. I would avoid it all together. There are flags on the ground marking space. Go well inside of it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:37 pm

2013 we ended up putting our monkey hut right along the edge of the road. Yep those little blue flags were such a good placement line for us. :roll: it was dusty as fuck..but who the hell wants to move it after its up?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:18 pm

Like most other camps, the majority of our structures (dome/vehicles/ etc) are set back at least 5' from the road. We do put our newspaper box right on the street, but it's draped in rope lights, and we outline our camp frontage in heavy-duty rope lights as well. Makes it clear at night, and also helps keep weekenders from trying to land-grab an open area that we use for camp activities or bike parking (which we've had happen as recently as last year)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Lonesomebri wrote: This is why our camp has set up a first-year-burner buffer zone between the road and stuff that matters.
Shhh! I've been telling them it was an aculturation thing.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Sparr: just think about YOU tripping over yours, or a neighbors tent rope, falling and impaling yourself on the tent stake...
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm

EspressoDude wrote:Sparr: just think about YOU tripping over yours, or a neighbors tent rope, falling and impaling yourself on the tent stake...

edit to add: not to forget the water trucks that spray the roads for dust abatement. They generally spray water to the edge of the road.......not to worry mud is good in your tent
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

sparr

Post by sparr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:03 pm

So, having gone with this thread in mind, here's an empirical answer: permanent infrastructure in the fire lanes seems non-existent, and I saw only rare permanent encroachments on the normal roads, mostly by bike racks. I saw a lot of temporary things in the roads, such as chairs, signs, etc.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:25 pm

satellite photos can be instructive...

several years back we had two check-points (each with a gate that could be swung open)...as part of performance art (complete with written passes and "armed guards") blocking A street completely. It could all be very quickly removed (like when DPW came by, or a BLM Officer). At first they seemed a little worried, but when they saw we were on it they chuckled and let us be. We did have to move it for an ambulance (and a few art cars). everyone else had to endure the border guards.....twice! This went on for an hour or so.....
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Major Krash wrote:satellite photos can be instructive...

several years back we had two check-points (each with a gate that could be swung open)...as part of performance art (complete with written passes and "armed guards") blocking A street completely. It could all be very quickly removed (like when DPW came by, or a BLM Officer). At first they seemed a little worried, but when they saw we were on it they chuckled and let us be. We did have to move it for an ambulance (and a few art cars). everyone else had to endure the border guards.....twice! This went on for an hour or so.....
And we still do that at M*A*S*H 4207th 404://Village Not Found. This year we also had a DUI checkpoint and a road construction crew.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a nasty habit of simply not stopping when someone attempts to force me to. Boat hulls are pretty durable.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 pm

All the maps of the city that I looked at showed 5&H as open camping.

When I got there shortly after opening on Sunday there was 2 days of camp infrastructure set up and blue flags surrounding the spot I've been at for the last 6 years.

If you couldn't find me, that is why.

I had to camp a block further out at 5&I!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:08 am

One of my camp knuckleheads has an unexplained obsession with blocking the lane and calling it performance art. In years past its included dummy art, string light art, stuffed animal vs. the propane puffer art, naked sundial art, baseball using a 16 inch dildo and a rubber duck, and this year - women's shoe art. Needless to say, Rangers and LEO are never accepting (rightfully), and I'm resigned to "oh great, we're that camp again this year.

One year, I believe it was the obsessive dummy art year that included woman and baby dummies and a bar stool, the LEO's were at the "if we have to come back again, someone is going to jail" level.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”