Carport Ratchet Straps

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
tbucks
Burning Since: 2013

Carport Ratchet Straps

Post by tbucks » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:06 pm

What type/rating ratchet straps is everyone using? Do the 1000lb Harbor Freight straps do a good job? Does anyone have photos of how they strap theirs down?

I've found some stuff, but a lot of the advices is from 09, 10 etc. Wanted to get a newer thread going with how people are securing them today.

I was planning on the X method with lag bolts in the feet. Any suggestions?

tbucks

Re: Carport Ratchet Straps

Post by tbucks » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Also, are 10ft lengths long enough, or would longer be better. We are test setting it up this weekend, haven't taken it out of the box yet.

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:50 pm

I used some from Harbor Freight once. They tightened down ok but they wouldn't release. I'm ok using a big hammer or other simple hand tool from there but have been disappointed to many times with there other stuff. It's just not reliable and you get what you pay for. I've replaced all my straps from the big box hardware stores.

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:10 pm

tbucks wrote:Also, are 10ft lengths long enough, or would longer be better. We are test setting it up this weekend, haven't taken it out of the box yet.
Longer is better. We had some that were too short, and you end up coming to the ground at a steep angle. Because of that the rebar had to be at a steep angle and the straps always ended up pulling the rebar out.

Now we use longer ones and we've no more issues.

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:51 pm

If you need longer length straps, just buy a roll of 1" mule tape and cut to length for the smaller size. It may be too small for the 1000 lb ratchet, but it has a 2500 lb test.

Bemerritt

Post by Bemerritt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

not sure what height you are tying down from, but this triangle should help explain why 10 feet is too short if you want to do the X method.

If I were you, I would use 15 at an absolute minimum.

The ropes I am using for my 8 ft tall structure are 20 ft, but part of that is to account for knots

tbucks

Post by tbucks » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will probably end up with some 2", 20' ratchet straps.

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 am

Here are pictures of how I secure mine. I use two 20' wide straps.
viewtopic.php?p=1082451#p1082451
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Various
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Various Delights

Post by Various » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:54 am

Costco is currently carrying Goodyear 16' 1000 lb/3000 lb ratchet tiedowns. A 4-pack is less than $20. In my Costco, they were right next to the carports.

tbucks

Post by tbucks » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Various wrote:Costco is currently carrying Goodyear 16' 1000 lb/3000 lb ratchet tiedowns. A 4-pack is less than $20. In my Costco, they were right next to the carports.
Do you know the width of the strap? 1", 1.5" or 2"? ( I just googled and looks like they might be 1.5")

I'll probably swing by and check them out.

Freedyjay

Post by Freedyjay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:43 am

There are no dumb questions... but this may be one!

So I've only used rope for guy lines (tied to rebar) on a Carport but ratchet straps sounds stronger.

Do you have advice on good placement of the ratchet straps? How many? How thick? Over the top of the structure?

And my possibly dumbest question, do I just put the hook of the ratchet strap around the angled rebar to make a guyline or do I need candy cane rebar to secure the ratchet strap hook?

I appreciate the help!

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 am

Loop strap around the upper corner of carport and hook it to itself.

Candy-cane rebar works for us. We put the rebar slightly INSIDE the footprint of the carport so the force of the ratchet is pulling the carport down and together, rather that outward and apart. Guylines out anchored outside the footprint of the carport are not only trip-hazards, but their direction of force is to pull the carport apart rather than hold it together.

sullitb
Camp Name: Play Rewlz

Post by sullitb » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 pm

I had a similar question as Freedyjay around securing the carport rachet straps to the Carport frame.

I have 14" lag screws with 3 chain links to loop the hook of one end through but how do most of you secure the other end?

asr9754 - you mention hooking the rachet strap to itself. Do you mean looping it around and placing the strap inside the hook near the point of connection? With a curved hook this could cause the strap to twist or curl, potentially compromising the integrity of the strap, no? Also, if the strap vibrates enough couldn't the strap come out from the hook?

I was considering connecting both ends to lag screws, wrapping the middle of the strap around an upper corner of each carport. Has anyone ever done this?

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:24 pm

sullitb wrote:I had a similar question as Freedyjay around securing the carport rachet straps to the Carport frame.

I have 14" lag screws with 3 chain links to loop the hook of one end through but how do most of you secure the other end?

asr9754 - you mention hooking the rachet strap to itself. Do you mean looping it around and placing the strap inside the hook near the point of connection? With a curved hook this could cause the strap to twist or curl, potentially compromising the integrity of the strap, no? Also, if the strap vibrates enough couldn't the strap come out from the hook?

I was considering connecting both ends to lag screws, wrapping the middle of the strap around an upper corner of each carport. Has anyone ever done this?
Most straps have a hole in the hook that you can feed the strap through so I just make a loop with that around the cross pipe, then have the ratchet end down near the ground. You can either thread the whole thing through or a short loop that you put through the hole, and over the hook and cinch it down.

sullitb
Camp Name: Play Rewlz

Post by sullitb » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:41 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
sullitb wrote:I had a similar question as Freedyjay around securing the carport rachet straps to the Carport frame.

Most straps have a hole in the hook that you can feed the strap through so I just make a loop with that around the cross pipe, then have the ratchet end down near the ground. You can either thread the whole thing through or a short loop that you put through the hole, and over the hook and cinch it down.

Ahh, that would make sense. Thanks! Now time to go home and make sure I didn't buy the kind that doesn't have this fantastic feature you speak of.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm

My straps are not long enough to go from ground to carport and back to ground, but that seems like it would work.

Yes, we just put the strap itself into the hook. Didn't have problems with the strap twisting or curling but I suppose it's possible. We did make a point to re-tighten once a day. The carport feet tend to wiggle into the playa dust, creating slack in the strap.

For just tying down a carport, it worked fine for us. Load-bearing or human-safety items would need a better rig. We also did a straight rebar post at each leg. Take a 3ft rebar, pound halfway in, duct tape the remaining exposed section liberally up the carport leg. Sounds ghetto but it was recommended here on eplaya and it really worked even in 2015 winds.
Last edited by LowePro on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Post by krly » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Good source for starps, ropes etc. : http://www.strapworks.com/Ratchet_Straps_p/rs1h.htm

Freedyjay

Post by Freedyjay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks everyone. Putting the rebar with the ratchet straps inside the Carport space is a great idea. If I can't find candy cane rebar I might toss a pool noodle over the rebar to keep from people hurting themselves.

I always do the gorilla tape to rebar for each pole as well (with some plastic wrap underneath to make it easier to take off.)

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Ok so if you don't bend the rebar in a candy cane, how are you going to hook the strap to it?
I'd bring the pool noodle either way.

Freedyjay

Post by Freedyjay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Actually just found someone in L.A. (a fellow burner) who is selling candy cane rebar at a fair price. As I tried to bend some myself and failed completely. So can use that for ratchet strap hooking! Thanks again for all the help.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”