Hardier Hexayurt

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
jfeaz
Burning Since: 2010

Hardier Hexayurt

Post by jfeaz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm into the idea of building my first hexayurt for 2016, and upon further research, I'm starting to become slightly dissuaded by the general un-reusability of the design. Meaning, the idea of buying $100 worth of tape every time I set it up is somewhat off-putting. Other than that, everything about the hexayurt sounds awesome.

Does anyone know of any resources with ideas and/or build instructions that involve a type of joint for the panels that doesn't require tape and feels more permanent?

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Hardier Hexayurt

Post by maladroit » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 pm

There's info about gluing strips of vinyl to the edges. A man at the Rabbit Traxx in Cedarville told me that he'd built his hexayurt that way, but he also told me he built it over the course of a month (mine took one day).

If you correctly foil-tape over the exposed bifilament tape, the joints will last for years. My hexayurt has been to the playa three times and most joints are original. I've only bought one roll of tape per year and have leftovers.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:46 am

I saw one once, (no personal experience though)--
they had attached small strips of wood (Maybe a 1/2 by 1" piece of lumber) to the edges of the panels somehow, then drilled a holes through the lumber and foam, they used zip ties thru the holes to lash the panels to each other. Obviously the holes one each panel need to line up with the adjacent panel.
Like I said, I have no reviews of this method, only that I saw it once. Seems like there would be air gaps.

If you do the Camp-Danger style hinges the yurt become more reusable and you burn less tape each year.
http://www.appropedia.org/Camp_Danger_H ... _Technique

You have time on your side, so depending on where you live, keep on eye on C-list and your local burner community, people sometimes sell or rent their old yurts. You can save some $$ and materials.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 pm

The wood idea sucks. (IMHO. I don't like anything that actually takes away from the main concept of the design.) Someone even tried to do it with zippers. There are pictures here somewhere. Also didn't work.

The camp danger method is really great for easy setup, but the problem there is that the tape is still affected by the sun and by the over-taping again for the tape anchors. Though this year, I think we will try taping over all of the bi-directional tape with foil, as suggested above, and see if that helps. Though I think we will then have to switch over to using the halo method for securing the yurt so as not to have to tape over the foil again to use the tape anchors.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm

I do use the halo (actually two redundant halos). I also don't foil-tape any on-playa joints, since the deterioration actually helps when it's time to remove the tape later.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:12 pm

maladroit wrote:I do use the halo (actually two redundant halos). I also don't foil-tape any on-playa joints, since the deterioration actually helps when it's time to remove the tape later.
So "on-playa joints" would be the assembly joints--which would be two for the walls and two for the roof in a standard size yurt that was pre-taped 'camp danger' style. If that's what you are meaning, we are both on the same page.

So you have found that the camp danger pre-taping when covered with foil tape last several years?

And can you elaborate more on your double halo? How many attachment points? 6 each? One center of walls the other at the corners?
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:40 pm

I've been working off and on with coming up with a wood frame, such that you assemble the bottom piece and "corner" pieces of the entire yurt's walls, then your wall panels fit into groves in the wood frame. As each panel goes in place, cap it with another groved wood frame piece. Once all the walls are in place, start adding the roof frame and panels. Easy to join the wood pieces with bolts for assembly/dis-assembly. Bolts through-and-through are very strong. Panels get the standard foil taped edges to seal in moop, seal out water and dust. Groves could have a thin strip of weather-stripping in them to keep water from flowing outside to inside, and low-cost low/no-residue painter's tape on the inside to seal the panels to the wood frames for fine dust. Metal L brackets on the bottom pieces of the frame can be directly secured to the playa with lag-bolts (or use an extra wide bottom piece and install through pre-drilled holes directly into the playa). Top frame provides an excellent point for a guy-line to secure to. The wall-top wood pieces, and the bottom wood pieces, need to have drain holes drilled in them, so water cannot build up in the grove on the bottom or between a roof panel and the wall-top wood piece.

Con: wind is less easily shed as pressure builds up on the panel it is partially contained by the wood frame. But there can be a vertical post on the inside half way along each wall, joining the bottom and top frame pieces, so the panel is supported from blowing in. The wind blowing over it will also be more noisy: no idea how much.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Yes, I use the Camp Danger hinges and foil tape everything (even edges of panels) that isn't done on-playa. I'd say about 75% of the wall tape is original, and 90% of the roof tape (including the hinges). All foil taped. If I see cracks in the foil tape after teardown, I patch them up.

The redundant halo is nothing fancy. One thick rope halo with 6 ratchet straps, and one thin rope halo with a zig-zag of paracord going down to the same anchors as the ratchet straps. The anchors are lag screws. I tack down a 20x20 tarp with 12" nails in the corner grommets, then orient the hexayurt so two opposite walls are parallel to tarp edges (meaning that two opposing points are centered on the other two tarp edges). Then I drill a lag screw through the center grommets of the tarp edges which are centered on the parallel hexayurt walls. Then on each of the tarp edges that have the points of the hexayurt, I put two lag screws through the grommets one step inwards from the tarp corner. This is close enough to being centered on the other hexayurt walls.

By using the tarp grommets this way, I can get all my anchors and ratchet straps set up before taking the hexayurt from 2D to 3D.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks.
JK

jfeaz

Post by jfeaz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Great resources, everyone. Thanks for the info!

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:28 pm

A few years ago someone in the AEZ had built a hexayurt that used six inch velcro strips instead of tape. I liked the idea, though I remember checking afterwards and the six inch velcro was hard to find and quite pricey.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 pm

The velcro concept sounds awesome. Not waterproof though, but very interesting. Is the primary gripe with the tape the fact that it's pricey and has to be re-done each year? Not a yurt owner here, but a helper-setter-upper for campmates. They do camp-danger hinges and if I remember correctly, we only had to re-tape this much on playa--
Assembling the sanding wall sections: 2 joints at 4 ft each
2 roof cone sections: 2 joints at 8 ft,
Roof cone to the hexayurt walls: 6 panels at 8ft
That's only 88 ft of tape.
I guess if you tape up the floor tarp that's another 48 feet (my campmates are semi-slackers and don't do this step).

A 50 yard roll of 6" bifil tape is $30, so yeah that seems expensive for a roll of tape, but if that's the consumable cost for 1 burn, it doesn't seem so bad. Every type of structure is going to have some things that break or need to be replaced each year. Am I missing something else?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:21 pm

Velcro isn't dust-proof either. Learned that the hard way the year I thought I'd velcro the windows to the yurt so that they could be switched out with furnace filters for fresh air circulation. Might just as well have left the windows open.
JK

otakup0pe

Post by otakup0pe » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:58 pm

We've gotten (the past) four years so far out of a camp danger style H12 yurt with a rope halo. We taped over every "permanent" seam with foil tape, and every year the yurt has gotten some post/pre maintenance. Mostly removing traces of the old BFD tape and re-applying foil tape where needed.

The only wood reinforcement we did was as a kick panel on the weak part at the base of our door. It has held up pretty well for up to fourteen days on playa. After that much time the wind begins to pick at the foil tape and you'd probably want to reapply it.

remi

Post by remi » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 am

jfeaz wrote:Hey everyone!

I'm into the idea of building my first hexayurt for 2016, and upon further research, I'm starting to become slightly dissuaded by the general un-reusability of the design. Meaning, the idea of buying $100 worth of tape every time I set it up is somewhat off-putting. Other than that, everything about the hexayurt sounds awesome.

Does anyone know of any resources with ideas and/or build instructions that involve a type of joint for the panels that doesn't require tape and feels more permanent?
100$ worth of tape each time to erect yurt? That's not right. If you make a semi-folding yurt (which takes about 2 rolls @ 40$ each,) then it only takes approx. half a roll to set up your yurt (which translates to approx. 20$) I agree with Maladroit about not using foil-tape on the on-playa joints.

Velcro window are not dust proof, but I used rubber from an old bike tire and made a gasket for my windows (with an angled cut,) and that kept the dust out pretty well. it was tough to get the cut/thickness perfect tho.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:17 am

otakup0pe wrote:We've gotten (the past) four years so far out of a camp danger style H12 yurt with a rope halo. We taped over every "permanent" seam with foil tape, and every year the yurt has gotten some post/pre maintenance. Mostly removing traces of the old BFD tape and re-applying foil tape where needed.

The only wood reinforcement we did was as a kick panel on the weak part at the base of our door. It has held up pretty well for up to fourteen days on playa. After that much time the wind begins to pick at the foil tape and you'd probably want to reapply it.
I never liked the idea of leaving that piece at the base of the door. We've never used it, just cut all the way down to the bottom. When the bottom of the walls are taped to the tarp, everything says in place.
JK

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:25 am

Elderberry wrote:
otakup0pe wrote:We've gotten (the past) four years so far out of a camp danger style H12 yurt with a rope halo. We taped over every "permanent" seam with foil tape, and every year the yurt has gotten some post/pre maintenance. Mostly removing traces of the old BFD tape and re-applying foil tape where needed.

I never liked the idea of leaving that piece at the base of the door. We've never used it, just cut all the way down to the bottom. When the bottom of the walls are taped to the tarp, everything says in place.

I cut the bottom of the door way completely off too. Hell i can trip over a pebble no sense making the difficult even harder :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 am

I built a folding 6 foot stretch two years ago out of 2" R Max, foil taped all edges with 3" and use 6" bifilament that is covered with foil for the folding hinges. I went with the 2" foam because I am rough, and set it up by myself. The 2" has held up well, I just tape up any holes with foil tape. Set up uses less than 1/2 roll of 6" tape which costs $30 per roll. Two years ago it was rain and last year dust but the yurt survived and was totally comfortable, with the fig jam swamp cooler as an air filter. Fits two twin beds and enough room for clothes.

There was a cool video about the 6 foot stretch - dub step. No miters, and folds neatly to 4X8X2 package.

This year I am going to mod the door and elim the trip panel, otherwise its just clean and load.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Shoeshine
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 pm

forget the tape anchors and halos. truck cargo net. throw it over the top and ratchet strap down from the pre-installed reinforced grommets to lags impact driven into the playa. easy to adjust tension, and the net spreads the point load more evenly across the panels. 4 x18" lags and the net held my 6' stretch rock solid through the big Sat. blow pre-event last year. 4 straps, 4 lags and net from HF = ~ $40
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Shoeshine wrote:forget the tape anchors and halos. truck cargo net. throw it over the top and ratchet strap down from the pre-installed reinforced grommets to lags impact driven into the playa. easy to adjust tension, and the net spreads the point load more evenly across the panels. 4 x18" lags and the net held my 6' stretch rock solid through the big Sat. blow pre-event last year. 4 straps, 4 lags and net from HF = ~ $40
The only cargo nets I see advertised on HF at the moment are all under $15.00, which for some reason, doesn't give me much confidence in their holding capabilities.
JK

Shoeshine
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 pm

yup the 72" x 96" @ $14.95. Don't know about longevity, but it worked like a charm last year. Like I said even through the big blow pre-event last year. Pulled it out and it seems none the worse for wear (I did hose it off before storing)
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”