Clam Ice Fishing Shelter - anyone use this on-playa?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
tink2011

Clam Ice Fishing Shelter - anyone use this on-playa?

Post by tink2011 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi everyone. I have been in a yurt for the last 5-years and it got basically ruined in the pre-opening wind storm last year. I am interested in using a Clam 6-pack Ice Fishing tent instead of building anew yurt. The yurt is SO MUCH work to set up, and the set up, take down for the Clam is so fast! I am wondering how much room is really inside one of them (realistically) after putting in a bed. Anyone have experience with this on the playa? I know about the ShiftPods, but they are way too expensive, and essentially the same thing as a Clam (minus the floor). Anyone have advice or comments?
Thanks!

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Clam Ice Fishing Shelter - anyone use this on-playa?

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:51 pm

The Clamshell 6 is almost identical and operates the same way as my hunting blind.

In a heavy wind, the sides of my blind will and have popped inward and the blind will collapse inward on itself.

I suspect that there would be the same problem, if not more so with the wind like last year, on the playa.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Clam Ice Fishing Shelter - anyone use this on-playa?

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:20 am

If I remember correctly, the Shift camp was selling an OEM version of these in silver (they called it the Shift Pod) for big money as a fundraiser last year, with the claim it kept you warm at night and cool by day and could be set up in ten minutes or less. One of my campmates got one, and I knew of several others who did as well. So I didn't camp in one, but with one - here's what I noticed...
  • They do set up really easily, and the outer walls sort of pop into place. They also tended to want to pop back in again (and collapse in on itself) in a strong breeze. The people who handled this best put furniture or stacked storage bins inside their tent. That of course impacts how much room you have left inside.
  • The grommets for tie-downs aren't done very well. Several of them had multiple grommets tearing by the end of the week - I don't think it was bad manufacturing or a design flaw as much as an ice fishing tent is generally designed for ice fishing, and not anchoring and bracing for winds in a high elevation desert. The only one I saw that had no tearing whatsoever was under a shade structure that had angled side tarps to help deflect wind.
  • They were all pretty hot by day. I think the Shift even listed an air conditioner as a suggested accessory on their site. Our campmates set theirs up under one of our shade structures, but it was so tall that it was touching the roof (ideally you want a foot between the roof of your shade and the top of your tent). They had brought their own air conditioner, and were running it most days (and last year wasn't a very warm year).

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”