Carport questions and comments -2016

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Carport questions and comments -2016

Post by Roundabout » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 pm

I thought there was already a topic on this, but can't find it. Mods, if there is already one, feel free to merge this one in.

First question:
Our camp has redesigned our shade structure around using 4 additional Costco carports this year. BUT so far, no one has seen them for sale at a Costco yet this year, so we are starting to worry. Has anyone seen any Costcos with the 10x20 carports for sale in the Bay Area or in Reno?
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Carport questions and comments -2016

Post by BBadger » Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 pm

They're usually for sale around now, just keep your eyes peeled. Maybe call up your local store and see when they'll be in stock.

They're perpetually for sale up here in northern Oregon if you get desperate.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 am

I saw a stack of them in Carson City. Replacement covers too.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:01 am

There were a few for sale at the hawthorne, ca store about a week ago.

Also if you call around I think their official name is "10x20 canopy" or something like that. Not "carport"

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 am

Last year I looked all over on their web site for canopy/carport/awning/tent & anything else I could think of. All I ever found was the 10x20 replacement canopy. So I just went to there & to my surprise there was a whole stack of them. Be warned, they are freaking heavy & large so take a truck & a friend (or two).
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Roundabout

Post by Roundabout » Wed May 04, 2016 11:34 am

OK!! We found some on the floor at the Richmond Costco - Bay Area. :D :D :D
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:02 pm

For future reference: Item #781893 "Canopy 10'x20' Steel Frame, Tan Cover with side walls" Still had a big stack of them at the hawthorne store today.

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Post by krly » Wed May 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Fullerton's Costco also has them now.
krly

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:39 pm

The north Reno/Sparks costco had a whole pile of them last month.

BlindSpot
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lil' Crack Whores

Post by BlindSpot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:40 am

Carport start to finish...
Hello all, I have perused ePlaya several times and have found great information. However, it would be extremely beneficial if I could narrow the data into one area. Here is my situation and my questions. 5th year on playa so I understand the basics and I have seen the annihilation of shade covers lost to wind.
1 new Costco Canopy (781893) 10x20.
Box of 50: 3/8" x 14" hex lag screws
10+ 400-600lb ratchet straps (I think I need more and heavier duty)

Questions (please note I'm in no way fluent in tool talk and construction terms - the easier it is to look it up on Amazon, Home Depot, etc... the better):
1. Is there a recommended type of chain link for the lag bolt combo?
2. Recommend using a washer with lag screw+bolt combo? If so, any specific kind?
3. Anchoring feet... Rebar on the inside of pole, rebar taped to outside of pole, f**k rebar just use three lag screws in the holes that are already there? Other?
4. "Squaring" the frame. What's the best way to measure (both how and with what tools)?
5. Ratchet straps... Where, how many, strength, how to determine correct angle (how close/far away from structure), twist to reduce vibrating?
6. Cross bracing... Which sections, types of straps, specific on which strap pulls where and on which side of pole. How to avoid making structure less secure with bad cross bracing attempts.
7. Recommend taping parts of the cover? Poles? Etc? Adding grommets to bottom of of sides to help secure base?
8. Ventilation- advice on keeping cool/warm? Direction to face closed sides and open sides?
9. Best steps for setting up on playa. (ex. when to put the top on which could potentially become a sail of death:)

Wow- pretty sure we could make a Carport Survival Guide with this info and everything from these posts (if not in existence already. If anyone is interested in taking step by step photos/video on playa and putting something together I'm happy to help.

Thank you all in advance.

BlindSpot
It's not art until they play with it.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:40 pm

I’ll venture a few of these.

1. Well, the links (rings) need to be wide enough for the lag to go thru, and also for the strap-hook. And use welded links – not the folded-bailing-wire type. And I use three links instead of two, which keeps the loose link from being pinched into an awkward position.

2. Yes, thick washer, so the head of the lag does not sink into the link at all. You want the socket to have a full grip on the head of the lag.

3. I use one lag in each leg.

4. The way I set the frame square is to install the walls before I install the lags. The frame is right when the Velcro lines up. If you are not using walls, it isn’t important. It would be nifty to fabricate two sticks or ropes for measuring the widths of the walls before anchoring.

5. This will draw so many opinions, that I will pass for now. Wait…. Strength…. I don’t pay much attention to the pound number. But I never buy 1 inch straps, since they are often good for nothing. 1 ½ inch is likely to be OK. Sturdy ratchets are important – flimsy ones will buckle long before you tear off the strap.

6. Again, highly subject to countless opinions..

7. I have never used any tape, but perhaps you will find a use for it. Mostly I avoid tape because of the stubborn glue it often leaves behind. Grommets and lags at the bottom of the walls could certainly be done, but I have no opinion.

8. No opinion.

9. A good way to put the top on is to assemble the frame without the four legs on one side. That way you can reach all the grommets without a stepladder, while minimizing stooping to the ground. Definitely install canvas in still air. Have plenty of people – and even more if you are installing walls before anchoring the silly thing.

While we are at it:
The Woodland, California, store had six of them two weeks ago.
The Fairfield (Cordelia), California, store had eight of them one week ago.
The price was $230 plus tax.
The replacement tops are online at $60 plus tax, free shipping.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Elliot wrote:I’ll venture a few of these.
Great comments, Elliot
1/2) We don't use washers. The chain link I had was *almost* large enough for bolt shank to pass through. I ended up putting each link in a bench vise lengthwise and then tightened *just* enough to force the link to spread open a bit.

4) Yes. It's pretty much impossible to put walls on if the legs are already set in place. Place walls (with velcro), then anchor. I've gone so far at to install a temporary bolt/ratchet strap vertically smack dab in the middle of the carport to hold it down while installing the walls.

mudpuppy000

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Yeah, you'll never be able to velcro the tarps without having the feet moveable. I do an "X" on either end with ratchet straps to hold the frame down when I'm putting the side tarps on, then a single lag in each foot when everything is lined up.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Just_Joe wrote:.... I've gone so far at to install a temporary bolt/ratchet strap vertically smack dab in the middle of the carport to hold it down while installing the walls.

BlindSpot

Post by BlindSpot » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:44 am

Thank you so much everyone!!! Very helpful! Mwah!!!!!

Roundabout

Post by Roundabout » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:18 pm

BlindSpot wrote:1. Is there a recommended type of chain link for the lag bolt combo?
Just one that allows the lag to slip through, but not the head. Take a lag screw with you to the hardware store when you get the chain. Like Elliot said, it should be a heavy welded type of chain.
BlindSpot wrote:2. Recommend using a washer with lag screw+bolt combo? If so, any specific kind?
Yes use a washer. Take the lag screw with you to ensure you get the proper size. I like to get the galvanized ones over the zink coated ones
BlindSpot wrote:3. Anchoring feet... Rebar on the inside of pole, rebar taped to outside of pole, f**k rebar just use three lag screws in the holes that are already there? Other?
Do this LAST. Only one lag per foot. I use 12" lags for this. Have the walls already up and then walk the legs around to a good comfortable position. Then put the lags in. The lags here do NOTHING to secure the carport to the ground, but merely secure the legs to keep the wind from moving them around.
BlindSpot wrote:4. "Squaring" the frame. What's the best way to measure (both how and with what tools)?
No need for this. Number 3 above takes care of this.
BlindSpot wrote:5. Ratchet straps... Where, how many, strength, how to determine correct angle (how close/far away from structure), twist to reduce vibrating?
My method is somewhat unique and maybe somewhat controversial. I use only 2 straps, but they are 2" wide and 30' long. (Get these on eBay) I put each over the entire structure including the ridge pole (but under the roof tarp). Each strap is placed near one of the 2 middle legs so that they are actually over the connectors, not the poles. My lag screws (18"X1/2") go about an inch outside of the middle feet. Then I strap it down tight. No need for guy lines or cross braces. My carport structures have survived everything over the last 4 years, even during early build when there are no surrounding structures.
BlindSpot wrote:6. Cross bracing... Which sections, types of straps, specific on which strap pulls where and on which side of pole. How to avoid making structure less secure with bad cross bracing attempts.
See number 5 above. No need for cross bracing.
BlindSpot wrote:7. Recommend taping parts of the cover? Poles? Etc? Adding grommets to bottom of of sides to help secure base?
No need for any of this.
BlindSpot wrote:8. Ventilation- advice on keeping cool/warm? Direction to face closed sides and open sides?
. Do not expose your entrance to the prevailing wind. If there are no surrounding structures to block this, then put your entrance facing north east.
BlindSpot wrote:9. Best steps for setting up on playa. (ex. when to put the top on which could potentially become a sail of death:)
I alway pre- assemble the top, including the top. I go ahead and put my lag bolts for the ratchet straps in an at least temporary position. Then when the wind has died down, I put on one side of legs then the other, then IMMEDIATELY get the ratchet straps over the ridge poles and side poles and ratchet it down. Now, if necessary, move your lag screws, one at a time, into a final position. Do not put lag screws into the leg feet yet. AFTER this, you can put on the walls. Move the feet around to help you get the walls on in the easiest way. Then move the feet so that the walls are taunt, and lag screw them down.

Roundabout

Post by Roundabout » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:21 pm

BlindSpot wrote:1. Is there a recommended type of chain link for the lag bolt combo?
Just one that allows the lag to slip through, but not the head. Take a lag screw with you to the hardware store when you get the chain. Like Elliot said, it should be a heavy welded type of chain.
BlindSpot wrote:2. Recommend using a washer with lag screw+bolt combo? If so, any specific kind?
Yes use a washer. Take the lag screw with you to ensure you get the proper size. I like to get the galvanized ones over the zink coated ones
BlindSpot wrote:3. Anchoring feet... Rebar on the inside of pole, rebar taped to outside of pole, f**k rebar just use three lag screws in the holes that are already there? Other?
Do this LAST. Only one lag per foot. I use 12" lags for this. Have the walls already up and then walk the legs around to a good comfortable position. Then put the lags in. The lags here do NOTHING to secure the carport to the ground, but merely secure the legs to keep the wind from moving them around.
BlindSpot wrote:4. "Squaring" the frame. What's the best way to measure (both how and with what tools)?
No need for this. Number 3 above takes care of this.
BlindSpot wrote:5. Ratchet straps... Where, how many, strength, how to determine correct angle (how close/far away from structure), twist to reduce vibrating?
My method is somewhat unique and maybe somewhat controversial. I use only 2 straps, but they are 2" wide and 30' long. (Get these on eBay) I put each over the entire structure including the ridge pole (but under the roof tarp). Each strap is placed near one of the 2 middle legs so that they are actually over the connectors, not the poles. My lag screws (18"X1/2") go about an inch outside of the middle feet. Then I strap it down tight. No need for guy lines or cross braces. My carport structures have survived everything over the last 4 years, even during early build when there are no surrounding structures.
BlindSpot wrote:6. Cross bracing... Which sections, types of straps, specific on which strap pulls where and on which side of pole. How to avoid making structure less secure with bad cross bracing attempts.
See number 5 above. No need for cross bracing.
BlindSpot wrote:7. Recommend taping parts of the cover? Poles? Etc? Adding grommets to bottom of of sides to help secure base?
No need for any of this.
BlindSpot wrote:8. Ventilation- advice on keeping cool/warm? Direction to face closed sides and open sides?
. Do not expose your entrance to the prevailing wind. If there are no surrounding structures to block this, then put your entrance facing north east.
BlindSpot wrote:9. Best steps for setting up on playa. (ex. when to put the top on which could potentially become a sail of death:)
I alway pre- assemble the top, including the tarp. I go ahead and put my lag bolts for the ratchet straps in an at least a temporary position. Then when the wind has died down, I put on one side of legs then the other, then IMMEDIATELY get the ratchet straps over the ridge poles and side poles and ratchet it down. Now, if necessary, move your lag screws, one at a time, into a final position. Do not put lag screws into the leg feet yet. AFTER this, you can put on the walls. Move the feet around to help you get the walls on in the easiest way. Then move the feet so that the walls are taunt, and lag screw them down.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:16 am

BlindSpot wrote: 1 new Costco Canopy (781893) 10x20.
Box of 50: 3/8" x 14" hex lag screws
10+ 400-600lb ratchet straps (I think I need more and heavier duty)
Ratchet straps are good for general strapping, but I prefer rope, or better yet, mule tape for any chains/lag bolts. The ratchet straps won't fit through most of the chain links.
Questions (please note I'm in no way fluent in tool talk and construction terms - the easier it is to look it up on Amazon, Home Depot, etc... the better):
1. Is there a recommended type of chain link for the lag bolt combo?
I bought a little box with 10 feet of # 2/0 straight-link chain at a department store in the hardware section near the ropes. It fit my 3/8" lag bolts perfectly. The chain wasn't the strongest (450lbs) or best, but it worked fine for me.

Don't just buy a box of chain of that same spec and expect it to work! Instead, while you're in the hardware section, grab a 3/8" screw/bolt from the bolt section of the same hardware section and compare against the size of the chain. Then you can verify that it will work. As stated before, make sure they're welded links.

You should also buy a bolt cutter to cut your links!
2. Recommend using a washer with lag screw+bolt combo? If so, any specific kind?
I prefer putting 3/8" washers on my lagbolts below the head. It makes it so the head doesn't rub against the link while drilling them in, and it gives a buffer for the feet (as mentioned below). Here's a picture of with and without:
lagbolt_no_washer.jpg
lagbolt_with_washer.jpg
As you can see, there's a much bigger interface between the head and the chain when there are washers. Also washers aren't that expensive for a box of 50. I still have half of mine. Also note that the chain link in that picture can only take about 450 pounds of weight, so the metal might deform under stress and the washer can help prevent the link from popping off the head (never happened to me before though).
3. Anchoring feet... Rebar on the inside of pole, rebar taped to outside of pole, f**k rebar just use three lag screws in the holes that are already there? Other?
If you use the CostCo Carport, you can drill the feet directly into the playa because there are three holes that perfectly fit a lag bolt! You only need to drill in 1x, or maybe 2x if you really want to. The nice thing is that you can also attach the chains to the drilled in feet so that you can internally guyline your carport. I would put a washer between the feet and the lag bolt just so it doesn't rub on the feet while drilling in, but that's just me.
4. "Squaring" the frame. What's the best way to measure (both how and with what tools)?
String and/or measuring tapes. Create one for the sides and another for the diagonals so that your feet are square.
5. Ratchet straps... Where, how many, strength, how to determine correct angle (how close/far away from structure), twist to reduce vibrating?
Aside from what everyone said before, consider using mule tape. It's very strong (1500 pound?), easy to feed into chain links, and cheap. Spools of 500 feet for about $35 if I recall.
6. Cross bracing... Which sections, types of straps, specific on which strap pulls where and on which side of pole. How to avoid making structure less secure with bad cross bracing attempts.
I like making them internal on the carport, in other words cross-braces within wall. Your carport is generally pretty strong already, but the cross-bracing gives it extra strength.
7. Recommend taping parts of the cover? Poles? Etc? Adding grommets to bottom of of sides to help secure base?
Only to keep out dust maybe. The poles will have dust in them regardless, and you have to slide many of the poles into the corner pieces, so you can't get around leaving them untaped anyway.
8. Ventilation- advice on keeping cool/warm? Direction to face closed sides and open sides?
I can't comment from experience. I had planned on leaving a the top corners at the top of the carport roof ends open to allow air to escape. Doing so would allow dust inside, but I think allowing hot air to waft away is usually more important.
9. Best steps for setting up on playa. (ex. when to put the top on which could potentially become a sail of death:)
When you have friends around. :) It's actually not too bad raising the carport when you don't have the walls up. Snap together the roof bars, and attach one side of legs, then put on the canopy, then raise the other side and attach the other set of legs. After that, the wind shouldn't be a huge issue. Have your friends help position the carport and then drill in the feet. Secure all the the legs before putting the walls on.

You should also consider using running rigging for your canopy, but it's not entirely necessary. It is nice to cut and pull at the end though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

BlindSpot

Post by BlindSpot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:08 am

Thank you Roundabout and BBadger! So helpful and so much time saved- thank you for pictures as well- I can't say enough about how much that helps me understand!

dustyfux
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Break It Down

Post by dustyfux » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:55 pm

This year I bought a replacement canopy roof for the Costco carport (Item #862391) and it was approximately 1 foot too short to fit the frame I bought about 8 years ago. . Just a heads up to those out there, this does not fit all 10x20 Costco carport frames. My fault for not field testing.

You can check the compatibility by pulling the item # from your current canopy roof and comparing to the online description.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”