Anyone have feedback on a Kodiak 10x10 ft tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
gcby30
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Anyone have feedback on a Kodiak 10x10 ft tent?

Postby gcby30 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Holy cow those replies are helpful, thank you all.

Shaiva

Postby Shaiva » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 am

The larger ones with slanted sides take wind better, but springbar and kodiak have ripped before.
If you can, order a springbar with dark canvas instead of white.
Otherwise, you can dye it darker, like a dark green.
Springbar will sell you waterproofing material if you damage the resistance.
Then you have shade.

Canvas should work far better than plastic for evaporation cooling.
Should not be a problem using it.

You could attach some shade to the tent, just remember it must flex with the tent and it moves.

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 am

FWIW
I took my Kodiak 10x10 on a test camp this past weekend and Saturday night we got hit by a major line of thunderstorms. After a couple of hours of very intense rain, wind, lightning and thunder, my Kodiak stood proud and never leaked a drop,

My friend had a Shift Pod and though it was fine structurally, it leaked like a colander and she had a lake on her floor in no time.

Hers looked cool but mine worked better.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Taylorlou
Burning Since: 2011

Postby Taylorlou » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Rice wrote:I have used a Kodiak 10x14 tent at several burns.

Without a shade over the tent, it gets easy-bake-oven warm as soon as the sun hits it and then gets hot from there. We had a 10x10 shade structure by the front door - with a tarp for the floor and shade cloth on two side (from the roof down 3/4 of the way, with room for air floor near the ground) - amazing during dust storms. Once our hammock was set up I could sleep in the heat of the day, in a dust storm or whatever. Worked out good for those darn 12 hr shifts I was doing.
No dust in the tent, beyond what we tracked in on our shoes/bodies. That was 3 weeks on the playa, frankly it was amazing.
The tent pegs it comes with are adequate, but we added a couple 1 1/2 ft reebar pegs (one on the front/back) for extra comfort of mind.
There was enough space for a queen sized double-high air mattress, 2 camping tables, a couple plastic dressers and room to store coolers, extra beer, luggage, etc.

If you have the coin, I highly recommend it.

What did you do for your shade structure? How did you secure it?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:14 pm

You should look into a carport or a larger monkey hut for that Kodiak. My friends tried fitting their Kodiak under a monkey hut and it fit barely. Something slightly larger, like what ZigZag did with hers, would probably fit it perfectly.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Postby Rice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Taylorlou wrote:
Rice wrote:I have used a Kodiak 10x14 tent at several burns.
<snip>
If you have the coin, I highly recommend it.

What did you do for your shade structure? How did you secure it?

We pounded 6 foot long T-stakes into the ground about 2 feet deep by each of the 4 legs of the shade structure, then we lashed each leg to its t-stake using para-cord (for the entire length of the stake), then each corner of the shade was attached to a 1.5' long stake using para-cord. That sucker did NOT move during any of the wind storms, rain storms, and was awesome.

This is the only picture I have. Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

leebroadway
Camp Name: Black Rock Blind Tiger

Postby leebroadway » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:16 pm

I set up my new 10x10 Kodiak for the first time today. Wow, it really is nice!! This is my first year at Burning Man and I'm feeling lucky to have a nice tent.

I bought a bunch of 12" military stakes (the v-shaped aluminum ones) to replace the ones it came with. Do you guys think 14 military stakes will be enough to hold that sucker down? I will have a cooler and a bunch of heavy totes in it. I'm just nervous, this being my first year and all. Really, really do not want my tent taking off and hurting someone.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:39 am

I'd consider getting some rebar or better yet some lag bolts, that way they can be really deep into the playa without disappearing. There's like 4" of playa that doesn't provide any grip for stakes, so having longer stakes/bolts helps.

Also, regardless of how nice your tent is, you need to think about what you're going to use for shade for that tent and buy materials for bolting that to the playa too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:49 am

We have a 10 x10 Kodiak and have used it on playa, non event and no wind storms. couple comments:

The ceiling height is in the middle and the sides slope inward (roof is about 6 x 6) so a queen bed in the middle wipes out standing room.

The tent is held up by the 2 outer poles and a large part of wind loading is transformed into downward thrust on these poles. Carpet or something solid for these to push down on so they don't sink on that little pin they set on.. These poles are just a bit long and putting them in place tensions and bends the spring bars. If the stakes are not fully driven in until the poles are in place it is easier.

For high winds I would tie two ropes to each pole top/spring bar joint and stake them down several feet from the tent. (flagging and stake protection).

Dry it when you get home before it is stashed for weeks or months so it does not mildew
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

gateway
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Yacht Klub

Postby gateway » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 am

Btw set up my 10x10 the other day, one word of caution for those with queen beds, blow it up inside or otherwise its not very easy to get into the tent ;)

I was able to fit my queen blow up beed, a 4 foot table, chair and prob have room for all my clothes, misc stuff.. all in all deff room....
Personal Blog:
-----------------------
I Bare It All

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:26 am

gateway wrote:I was able to fit my queen blow up beed, a 4 foot table, chair and prob have room for all my clothes, misc stuff.. all in all deff room....

I'm bringing a 10x14. Your post makes me think I could maybe hang a sheet in the middle and rent out a room. I've always wanted to be a slumlord.

gateway
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Yacht Klub

Postby gateway » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
gateway wrote:I was able to fit my queen blow up beed, a 4 foot table, chair and prob have room for all my clothes, misc stuff.. all in all deff room....

I'm bringing a 10x14. Your post makes me think I could maybe hang a sheet in the middle and rent out a room. I've always wanted to be a slumlord.

haha, its a bit tight but you need to rotate the bed.. not (beed) as I stated above.. damn fast typo's..

Its deff a bit roomy and depending on your layout maybe you can rent a room out :) j/k
Personal Blog:
-----------------------
I Bare It All

krly

Postby krly » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:47 pm

I've been in nylon tents in the wind and they were quite NOISY. Are the canvas tents much (any ?) quieter ? Also, regarding tying the poles to a T-post or staking them down.....does that ruin the "wind dynamics" of the tent being able to bounce/sway with the wind ?
Krly

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:08 pm

krly wrote:I've been in nylon tents in the wind and they were quite NOISY. Are the canvas tents much (any ?) quieter ? Also, regarding tying the poles to a T-post or staking them down.....does that ruin the "wind dynamics" of the tent being able to bounce/sway with the wind ?
Krly

In my experience the canvas tents are much quieter as they don't have the rain fly flapping around (that's what made mine really noisy - and it was in the middle of a monkey hut).

Anybody got a good idea for flying with the poles? So far a ski bag seems to be the best way...

Super C
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Team Franz

Postby Super C » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 pm

How hard are the included stakes to drive vs rebar? I'm upgrading to this tent this year and am considering getting an impact driver/lag screws for it. If the included stakes are easy enough to pound I'll just stick to those and my trusty mallet. Save a few bucks....

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 am

Looking at some pics, stock stakes are not long enough. It's not how hard it is to pound them in, (to a point) its how well they hold.

For the best of both worlds, hold power and ease of install/removal, go with lag bolts. You will not be unhappy about it. :D
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

krly

Postby krly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 pm

This thread : viewtopic.php?f=277&t=80373 has a number of folks saying the "stock" tent pegs were fine on the playa. Also discusses shade options.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:29 pm

.....has a number of folks saying the "stock" tent pegs were fine on the playa....

I might be blind but I don't see them. :|

Either way, lagbolts are cheap insurance. :wink:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Krly, 'stock' tent pegs are NOT OK. Some years the top 6 inches of ground is soft as a sandbox. You can't stake anything securely with a few inches of grab. Your tent and shade will blow into the neighbor's windshield. Don't try it. buy some 2 foot rebar and some foam swim noodles from the dollar store. Pound em in and sleep like a baby. Bring a pair of vicegrips or a pipe wrench to unscrew them out of the ground. It's easy.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 pm

I have a 10x14' Kodiak and purchased a bunch of rebar spikes instead of the tent stakes (looks like rebar with a nail head welded to the top.) I think I paid about $40-50 for the set, maybe less. Have used them for 3 burns and they are brick shithouses. Picture is representative of what I got, but mine are 2', I think 1/2" diameter. I bought them from a welder selling cool stuff on ebay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 am

For my 10 x 14 kodiak I use the pegs itcame with. No problems, course I put a lot of shit in my tent and the tent is pretty heavy on its own. It’s not going anywhere
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Super C
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Team Franz

Postby Super C » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:45 am

I used a kodiak 10x10 this year after 2 years of a dinky dome tent and man oh man why did I not do this SOONER! It was plenty large for a queen size inflatable mattress, an inflatable easy chair, a small shelving kit and all my misc crap. I opted for the extra vestibule as an outdoor awning where I had my folding table and a few folding chairs. My group camped in no mans land (walk up camping) and everyone always ended up at my tent because it was the best layout.

It's 6'6 on the inside so I can stand up perfectly fine (I'm 6'). I'll be adding some more shade structure and maybe an ez-up of some sort next year. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it. I highly recommend it. Here's a short youtube video I made if you want to check it out. I'll try to make a better one next burn

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”