Best playa tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
[DVD]
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Playa Bike Repair

Best playa tent

Postby [DVD] » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Hey there!

Check out this tent I want to bring as shelter. It will be under a shade, surrounded by other burners at my camp. I know that the mesh is not ideal for the dust. But it has a big flap that wraps it up completely.

Do you think it will hold? What would you use?

Link to the tent: http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-limelight-3-person-tent-w-footprint-and-gear-loft?skid=MAR00T0-X001-Y001&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6bWFybW90IHRlbnQ6MTo0Om1hcm1vdCB0ZW50

asr9754

Re: Best playa tent

Postby asr9754 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:02 pm

I actually have the 2p version of that.
Thoughts: get something bigger, cheaper, with less mesh. Keep your nice backpacking tent separate.
A MallMart, Costco, or Coleman tent is fine as long as you stake it down well with rebar or long lags. The less exposed mesh the better. Zip-up windows. If you have a tent-mate, get something with 2 doors! Bigger is nicer too, to have some room to move around in there. Your tent will never be the same. It'll be dusty FOREVER and the zippers will be sticky. You don't need a nice tent, just reasonably sturdy and easy to set up.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Too much mesh. I bought a "HIGH PEAK South Col 4 Season" that seals up and was less than $200.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:48 am

We use a "60 second tent". Meshless, except for the door and window which can be zipped shut. 8 lbs. Not a huge tent, but has served us very well over the last few years under shade.

https://www.campmor.com/c/sixty-second- ... aQod0kkOnA
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

[DVD]
Camp Name: Playa Bike Repair

Postby [DVD] » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 pm

asr9754 wrote:I actually have the 2p version of that.
Thoughts: get something bigger, cheaper, with less mesh. Keep your nice backpacking tent separate.
A MallMart, Costco, or Coleman tent is fine as long as you stake it down well with rebar or long lags. The less exposed mesh the better. Zip-up windows. If you have a tent-mate, get something with 2 doors! Bigger is nicer too, to have some room to move around in there. Your tent will never be the same. It'll be dusty FOREVER and the zippers will be sticky. You don't need a nice tent, just reasonably sturdy and easy to set up.

Great insight! Thanks for sharing it.
The 3 person version has two doors and it's about the same price as the the other ones mentioned above. What I like about this one is that the design optimizes the space inside. It is wider at the top and has vertical walls. But yeah, I know it will take the playa with it FOREVER... It wouldn't be that bad if the zippers keeps working just fine.

It should be a special way to take special care of those...

global village idiot
Burning Since: 2018

Postby global village idiot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 am

I've considered everything from an old canvas pup-tent (for emergency/guests) to a small Sibley tent....

My thoughts always seem to go back to canvas.

I've always preferred canvas tents to synthetic ones, for a number of reasons.

What are your thoughts? I'm averse to a wall tent where it's really windy, hence the Sibley.

gvi

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:17 am

Older thread, but an eternal question. My friends just got a baby Kodiak which fits under our clamshell carports. They are very happy with it, but the key is it works with the carport set up we already have.

The Sibleys are pretty, but I haven't seen one in person. Not sure how dustproofy they are, if shade is required, weight, or how fussy they are to set up. That is one chunk of change too.

global village idiot
Burning Since: 2018

Postby global village idiot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am

Buy once, cry once.

As to shade, my opinion may be skewed. I've had to make myself comfortable in dark green canvas (now coated nylon) tents for a long time - I suspect a white or khaki tent would be cooler by comparison.

As to "dustproofy," I'm not sure such a tent was ever made for someone other than a mobile surgical unit (you wanna talk chunks of change... :D ).

Heck, I still remember how disoriented I felt the first time I set up a tent in daylight, after years of only getting shelter up after the sun went down. Not having to set a tent up by Braille was a new experience to me and it took some getting used to.

Not sure I'll get a Sibley but they do look nice.

gvi

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am

Except that the wrong tent on the playa will give you opportunity to cry over and over again, as many have found out.

You need to do a search of eplaya for "tent". Lots of threads; tons of posts. Note the differences between those guessing how a tent will do on the playa vs. those reporting how a tent actually did on the playa.

As to tent colour vs. putting it up in shade: put it up in shade too. Shade of an RV, shade under a simple shade structure or under one of the many types of more involved shade structures one finds on the playa. If you can keep the sun off of it with some decent space for air to flow, you're way ahead of the tent-as-oven. Or bring cookie dough and leave it to slow bake while you abandon your tent to go out to find shade somewhere. Really. And in 2017, some recorded temperatures were in and about 113F (45C); most years you can count on 90 to 95F. And not unknown to see 10C or lower.

Many shade structures also help protect some from the wind. Watch out for some posts saying you don't need to worry about wind or using solid tent pegs; if their experience is from a year that was a walk in the park then it will not apply much for a year that has 50 mph or 75 mph wind. And all bets are off if yours ends up in the middle of a large strong dust devil or under a micro-burst.

Some people double up all guy lines, so the attachment point to the tent is better fixed in space, to limited it whipping around in the wind to reduce stress. We used to have a simple example that someone had posted showing double guylines to the top of a pole for a simple shade structure, but its host site deleted it. Here's more complex example.

The other thing you'll see recurring is the discussion of how to block the mesh on a tent, to keep dust out. So while rare to find a true "dust-proof" tent, here's an example of why people are concerned about finding one tending to be "dustproofy" or modifying it as best you can. Go find a few videos of playa dust storms to see how this can easily happen.

tent dustproofy.png

There truly is tons of info on this already on epalya. Go search.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:58 am

GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 am

canoe, My tent has looked like that every year except this year. I took the fleece off of the top and sewed on some nylon. Voila! It was the fleece. (That and leaving the doors and windows open.) I don't sleep in there so it never bothered me.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 am

Canoe wrote:

tent dustproofy.png

There truly is tons of info on this already on epalya. Go search.

Those are my pictures from 2007. When a big whiteout hit, everyone was out of camp. Our tent had the mesh covered with a clipped on quilt and was fine, zero dust. Had our campmates zipped up their tents, instead of leaving them open, they also would have had no dust. The one big Coleman had a vestibule with no floor. The dust came in under the walls and filled all the rooms in the tent as none of them had been zipped up either. Always zip your tent.

P1010408 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 am

My camper pic wasn't totally sarcasm.
I paid $1500 for that thing, it's 30 years old.
People think the RV people are rich... you can actually bring an OLD trailer or camper for cheap, and not deal with any of that crap!
But as for tenting it, it's all about the shade it's under. I've seen just about any tent work fine when it was under a good shade.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”