Compact Drill vs. Impact Driver for Lag Screws

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Compact Drill vs. Impact Driver for Lag Screws

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 pm

I’m a car builder guy, I’ve got four full roll-aways, my garage has a lathe, welders, all that stuff. I even bring a compressor and air tools to the playa. I’ve always used air impact “wrenches”, we’ve always called them “impact guns”. I haven’t gone to the cordless stuff, I refuse to buy into the gouge-priced proprietary battery BS.
I guess “Impact driver” new-speak for “small impact gun”. Hmm. Ok.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm going to dig out all of my old battery op drivers and see if i can match them up with the battery of another new tool. That would be great.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Postby Popeye » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Ratty wrote:I'm going to dig out all of my old battery op drivers and see if i can match them up with the battery of another new tool. That would be great.

Ratty I bought new batterys for mine (Porter Cable) from Amazon.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Postby Wigwam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Torque. Think torque.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Postby fireheadwhale » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 am

I have a 1/2" Ryobi impact driver/wrench. With the large batteries it's a great tool. When I use it to change a tire I feel like Nascar. It blows 14" lags into the playa with authority. I loaned it to other camps at the last burn. I had to stop because I hadn't brought the charger.My first cordless drill was a Ryobi. I bought it pre-2000. It was a piece of crap. But I did use the hell out of it. Funny story, I bought the drill as a kit. I went to look for a spare battery the same day and it cost about as much as the kit. I didn't buy one.Then I dropped it off a ladder and the handle broke. I put it back on with Gorilla glue and used it about another year. Meanwhile, I worked at a government job. One day I needed a drill and had to check one out of the tool room. It was a Dewalt. I started walking to where I was working on the other side of the building and absent mindedly grabbed the chuck and pulled the trigger. Wow! I almost hurt myself! It had a lot of torque. I went to HD and bought a Dewalt soon after that. I started calling the Ryobi, Toyobi. The Gorilla glue broke again after that and I sent it to live in the landfill upstate. In the last few years I've bought a few Ryobi power tools. They have come a VERY long way from that cordless drill I bought at Menards pre-2000. I even have a Ryobi generator. Read the reviews. They had 2 of the big Ryobi batteries at HD for 99$ last I looked.

I live on property more than an acre in some wild foothills and I find uses for lags often around here. Bang them through the rocky foothills hardpan with that 1/2" Ryobi; is it a wrench or a driver? I don't give it a name, I just beat it. It cost me 99$ and it was a great investment. I have a 99$ Ryobi hammer drill and it is not my favorite hammer drill. I have had better luck with my $20 corded Harbor Freight hammer drill.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Kenshiro

Postby Kenshiro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

fireheadwhale wrote:I have a 1/2" Ryobi impact driver/wrench. With the large batteries it's a great tool...It blows 14" lags into the playa with authority. I loaned it to other camps at the last burn. I had to stop because I hadn't brought the charger...They had 2 of the big Ryobi batteries at HD for 99$ last I looked.

Have you noticed the Ryobi batteries having any issues with the temperatures on the playa?

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Postby fireheadwhale » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:37 am

Kenshiro wrote:
fireheadwhale wrote:I have a 1/2" Ryobi impact driver/wrench. With the large batteries it's a great tool...It blows 14" lags into the playa with authority. I loaned it to other camps at the last burn. I had to stop because I hadn't brought the charger...They had 2 of the big Ryobi batteries at HD for 99$ last I looked.

Have you noticed the Ryobi batteries having any issues with the temperatures on the playa?

Hadn't noticed at all. It's over 100 degrees about half the days in summer where I live. I had a battery die when I kept the charger in my garage. There's no ventilation and I'm sure it gets well over 100 in there. But that was the old style batteries before I switched to lithium. I also moved the chargers into the house in a corner of my bedroom.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Kenshiro

Postby Kenshiro » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:44 pm

fireheadwhale wrote:Hadn't noticed at all. It's over 100 degrees about half the days in summer where I live. I had a battery die when I kept the charger in my garage. There's no ventilation and I'm sure it gets well over 100 in there. But that was the old style batteries before I switched to lithium. I also moved the chargers into the house in a corner of my bedroom.

Awessum pawssum. The heat this last year was oppressive and Earth ain’t getting any colder. I was noticing all these other things Ryobi has that’s also useful for the Burn. Already picked up the blower for inflating mattresses, thinking about their fan...these things might necessitate more batteries.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”