Tips and Tricks for RV's at Burning Man

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
missmelee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Re: Tips and Tricks for RV's at Burning Man

Postby missmelee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:51 pm

There's tons of great advice already so I only have a few things to add/emphasize.

1. Cover your windows on the OUTSIDE with plastic and painters tape either just be arriving on playa or when you arrive. If you plastic from the INSIDE dust will still get through the vents/cracks/whatever miniscule openings and fill the plastic with dust so that when you take it off, it all comes off inside.
2. Reflectix works great on the insides of your windows to keep the heat out
3. Position your rig so that your entry door won't get ripped off by the wind when you open it. There are some maps of the playa online that show the typical wind directions.
4. Be courteous of your generator use. It's noisy. That being said, we run two of the quieter Yamaha generators in parallel that are locked into the bed of our truck. See attached picture. Our power cord reaches from the truck to our trailer. We covered them which helps redirect the sound and protects them a bit in case of rain. Do a search for hush boxes or similar for many different ideas on making generators quieter. Just make sure you have plenty of room for airflow. If you're careful to keep the sun/heat out of your RV your generator use should be minimal. We were also able to use our generator cover as a place to put our solar panels to power our RV batteries.
5. Consider how much fuel you will need to get to the playa and back from where your last fill up was (Fernley or Empire perhaps), how much fuel you may need to use with generator use, and how much may be spent waiting in line to get in/out of the event. It's smart to carry some extra fuel with you when you.
6. Be careful how much crapping is happening in your toilet. The heat and the duration that you're out there can make things unpleasant. Make sure you have a great digester/deodorizer product for your toilet/black water tanks and grey water tank. Take a few dumps in the portapotty to lessen the load & smell in your tanks.
7. Don't hide out in your RV. Create an inviting space within your camp to say hello and welcome any guests.
8. Gift the benefits of your RV to your camp mates or neighbors - if you have a blender then making a nice refreshing drink can be great or a batch of brownies or cookies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SprinkmanPat

Postby SprinkmanPat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 pm

missmelee wrote:There's tons of great advice already so I only have a few things to add/emphasize.

1. Cover your windows on the OUTSIDE with plastic and painters tape either just be arriving on playa or when you arrive. If you plastic from the INSIDE dust will still get through the vents/cracks/whatever miniscule openings and fill the plastic with dust so that when you take it off, it all comes off inside.
2. Reflectix works great on the insides of your windows to keep the heat out
3. Position your rig so that your entry door won't get ripped off by the wind when you open it. There are some maps of the playa online that show the typical wind directions.
4. Be courteous of your generator use. It's noisy. That being said, we run two of the quieter Yamaha generators in parallel that are locked into the bed of our truck. See attached picture. Our power cord reaches from the truck to our trailer. We covered them which helps redirect the sound and protects them a bit in case of rain. Do a search for hush boxes or similar for many different ideas on making generators quieter. Just make sure you have plenty of room for airflow. If you're careful to keep the sun/heat out of your RV your generator use should be minimal. We were also able to use our generator cover as a place to put our solar panels to power our RV batteries.
5. Consider how much fuel you will need to get to the playa and back from where your last fill up was (Fernley or Empire perhaps), how much fuel you may need to use with generator use, and how much may be spent waiting in line to get in/out of the event. It's smart to carry some extra fuel with you when you.
6. Be careful how much crapping is happening in your toilet. The heat and the duration that you're out there can make things unpleasant. Make sure you have a great digester/deodorizer product for your toilet/black water tanks and grey water tank. Take a few dumps in the portapotty to lessen the load & smell in your tanks.
7. Don't hide out in your RV. Create an inviting space within your camp to say hello and welcome any guests.
8. Gift the benefits of your RV to your camp mates or neighbors - if you have a blender then making a nice refreshing drink can be great or a batch of brownies or cookies.

Great Read...Good Stuff...I have yet to perfect the perfect Tank Cleanout day and time...for the last 5 burns I have my RV that I roll solo in...usually wed or so I try to run down the Clean-out Trucks to pump out the Grey & Black tanks...I have wasted one full day each burn trying to run down the clean out trucks...last year I prepaid and had a ticket and it was still a huge waste of time an entire day waiting outside the RV waiting for a Clean out Truck...
Life is all about the ride...enjoy it !!!

missmelee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Postby missmelee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 pm

SprinkmanPat wrote:
missmelee wrote:Great Read...Good Stuff...I have yet to perfect the perfect Tank Cleanout day and time...for the last 5 burns I have my RV that I roll solo in...usually wed or so I try to run down the Clean-out Trucks to pump out the Grey & Black tanks...I have wasted one full day each burn trying to run down the clean out trucks...last year I prepaid and had a ticket and it was still a huge waste of time an entire day waiting outside the RV waiting for a Clean out Truck...

Yeah, getting pumped can be a challenge. There's two of us and we're very conservative so we just empty our tanks when we get off playa. We haven't had to flag down a truck for on playa pumping. All depends on duration & quantity of showers and dish washing and how often the toilet is being used.

badscr
Burning Since: 2018

Postby badscr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

If your actively cooling the rv.

Use thick foam board between front cabin area and the living area. Keep heat from up front in its place. Maybe add foam board over the front windshield and door windows

Use foam board over all the windows (maybe leave one or two that u enjoy looking out of). Windows have almost no R-value and they make a good percentage of area, so adding a 7 R-value over a window makes a dramatic difference.

uncle sticky

Make sure your gennie setup will power your a/c

Postby uncle sticky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm

don't rely on the stated watts from the generator, or how much you need from the a/c. I have two Yamaha knockoffs, supposed to provide 2000 watts each, and my a/c is supposed to need 2500 to 3000 to turn the compressor. doesn't happen like that. Boo! I installed a hard start capacitor on my a/c, and problem is solved!
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Skuzzy61 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 am

Last year was our first burn and we felt like we handle it well with the RV. We were on the Playa for 9 days.

1) Reflectix on the outside (every piece of glass) with a good blue tape, never came off until I pulled it and it left no residue. That was a home run! Also used blue tape to seal any open seams (around doors, vents....).
2) We only used the generator when we cooked and ate. The RV cooled down quickly. It was cool enough at night we did not need any power. Just a nice thick, cushy blanket and then light up the generator when I got out of bed to warm it up a bit.
3) We figured out before we got there we were not going to be able to use the refrigerator in the RV. The aux batteries were not charging which the propane refrigerator needed to light the propane off. So we bought ice and kept the cooler filled.
4) Water run off from the ice was used to flush the toilet. It allowed us to keep count of how many gallons of water we dumped in. We started with clean gray and black water tanks as we dumped at the Vegas KOA the night before we arrived at the Playa and did not use the RV toilet or water until we got to the Playa.

When we got to the Playa, we had about 7/8 of a tank of gas. At the end of 9 days we had just under half a tank. Plenty left.

The thing is, you never spend time in the RV anyway. At least, we didn't, but then again, I think last years temperatures were really mild. At least, I thought they were. I was comfortable the whole time there. If anything, it got a bit chilly at night.

We felt we prepared well and as a result we had a great time and never once worried about anything.

Wish we could make it this year.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Bluebuilder
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Chop Shop

Postby Bluebuilder » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm

OK, so does the Reflectix go on the inside or the outside? I have seen both recommended.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Outside, that way the window glass and aluminum frame around the window never get direct sun heat to transfer inward.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

smokedvw
Burning Since: 2017

Postby smokedvw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I was reading about putting cutable air filter's into the windows you plan to open at certain points for air flow. Has anyone does this to prevent the dust from coming in?

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00843JCYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Hoverdave
Camp Name: Looking

Postby Hoverdave » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 am

I tried this last year with something similar with bad results.
Anything less than a HEPA filter will allow the playa dust to pass thru. I will be using HEPA this year.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Yea, that media is way to porous. You would be better cutting up a pleated filter, tape up the edges and tape in place. Allergy rated filters catch the most I believe.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Postby fireheadwhale » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 pm

This was my first trip ever in my small travel trailer. I didn't bring my small camp stove because,hey, the trailer has a whole kitchen. I never felt like sitting inside and using the stove so I just didn't use it. I wished I had brought the camp stove to use outside on the table.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 am

Yea, gotta bring the camp stove. The only time I use my RMC stove is if its too windy (like really windy) or too cold. :coffee: :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”