Tips and Tricks for RV's at Burning Man

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Re: Tips and Tricks for RV's at Burning Man

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 am

Hot water heater trick. I have a travel trailer and after initial warm up I switch the hot water heater to pilot light mode. The small flame heats the water tank sufficiently for super short water conserving showers. This wont work with a water heater that has an electric ignitor in place of a pilot light. It saves fuel and the noise of the water heater cycling on and off and works great for super water conserving showers.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Clean post-playa exterior glass trick: Wipe all glass and mirrors with a DRY microfiber towel, before using any water or cleaning solution, no baby wipes, no moisture, just a dry microfiber towel. I was amazed, better than washing for initial post playa drive home... no streaks.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 pm

maLka wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:39 am
Hey folks, I've been readign a lot about reflectix and it's benefits. For an international traveller, where should I buy it and how much does it cost ? Thanks!
It is used in a number of home improvement tasks, so it's available in different widths and lengths, and even in tubes as ducts for HVAC use. There's even rolls for 16" on centre wood framing with a running tab on the side for stapling to studs or joists. Most of the home improvement type stores in the U.S. have it, as it has uses in both hot and cold climates.
Example: 48" x 25' roll www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-100-sq-ft-Re ... -L/3011906 showing as 43.25 USD in Reno.

Be aware that using credit cards at home improvement stores can be odd in the U.S., as different states/regions use different payment clearing companies. I have one card that works in NY state at Lowes but not Home Depot, where I have to use a different card. In Nevada, the card that worked at Home Depot won't, and the one that worked at Lowes works at Home Depot. Neither card works at Lowes in NV. Similar issue paying for gas at gas stations. YRMV
So you know you have some (instead of finding it sold out when you arrive), you may be able to purchase online and pickup at a store you specify, picked up when you arrive. Or purchase online and have it shipped to a UPS store in Reno, where you pick it up for a $5 fee. Use google to search eplaya for UPS Store.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maLka
Burning Since: 2019

Post by maLka » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 am

Canoe wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 pm
maLka wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:39 am
Hey folks, I've been readign a lot about reflectix and it's benefits. For an international traveller, where should I buy it and how much does it cost ? Thanks!
It is used in a number of home improvement tasks, so it's available in different widths and lengths, and even in tubes as ducts for HVAC use. There's even rolls for 16" on centre wood framing with a running tab on the side for stapling to studs or joists. Most of the home improvement type stores in the U.S. have it, as it has uses in both hot and cold climates.
Example: 48" x 25' roll www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-100-sq-ft-Re ... -L/3011906 showing as 43.25 USD in Reno.

Be aware that using credit cards at home improvement stores can be odd in the U.S., as different states/regions use different payment clearing companies. I have one card that works in NY state at Lowes but not Home Depot, where I have to use a different card. In Nevada, the card that worked at Home Depot won't, and the one that worked at Lowes works at Home Depot. Neither card works at Lowes in NV. Similar issue paying for gas at gas stations. YRMV
So you know you have some (instead of finding it sold out when you arrive), you may be able to purchase online and pickup at a store you specify, picked up when you arrive. Or purchase online and have it shipped to a UPS store in Reno, where you pick it up for a $5 fee. Use google to search eplaya for UPS Store.
Very useful post, thanks! now I know i should buy this in beforehand.

What's the best ductape that resists the playa gusts and storms? I guess i'll need this one too beforehand

I was aware of the credit card stuff in my past US trips, where i wasn't able to pay with my spanish Visa at any gas station, so I guess it's a good idea bringing some bucks

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am

If you are planning to attach reflectix to a motor home I wouldn't use any duct tape. It will leave a mess of adhesive. I would love to hear from anyone that used the duct tape advertised as leaving no adhesive mess. It's sold in Home Depot. I use stucco tape. You have to search for it in Home Depot but it's there. Nothing has ever come loose as long as you diligently wipe away all dust before installation. A little pricey but well worth it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:52 am

Ratty wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am
... It's sold in Home Depot. I use stucco tape. You have to search for it in Home Depot but it's there. Nothing has ever come loose as long as you diligently wipe away all dust before installation. A little pricey but well worth it.
It's red. And has more hold than and is a lot cheaper than Gaffer's Tape.
See this post back a page. viewtopic.php?f=277&t=78622&start=30#p1160539
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Jackass wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 pm
Clean post-playa exterior glass trick: Wipe all glass and mirrors with a DRY microfiber towel, before using any water or cleaning solution, no baby wipes, no moisture, just a dry microfiber towel. I was amazed, better than washing for initial post playa drive home... no streaks.
Dry wiping everything is SOOO important. Last year the people in my RV insisted on cleaning everything all week with WET wipes and then had to spend 10 hours getting the trailer clean in Reno before driving back to the PacNW and recleaning it again. I use dry swiffers as I don't want to destroy my microfiber cloths/washing machine with playa, but they both work well. Next year I'm going to plastic wrap (movers wrap) all the internal cabinet doors and maybe some of the cushions, but in all this year was so easy in clean up, I feel like it is pretty dialed in for the future.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

pedroescobar wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm
Dry wiping everything is SOOO important.
After we DRY wipe/sweep/vacuum/whatever
I run over everything with a strong leaf blower and follow with an air (compressor) gun for nooks and crannies. Inside and out. Twice. It helps to open all windows and doors and also have a good fan running. Bonus points if it's windy outside.
Blow out window seals and weep holes, inside and out.
Remove battery/LP covers and blow that shit out.
Pull the AC cover off the top (4 screws) and hit the fins.
Remove the fridge access panel and blow some air up in there (dust may come out on the inside).
Same thing for the water heater hatch and any other outside storage.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Always remove as much playa as possible while its dry, using DRY methods.

Once you introduce just a little moisture into the equation everything changes, it becomes cemented to anything it's in contact with and complete removal becomes much more arduous.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am

And when you add moisture, playa dust becomes rust tonic. It’ll rust plastic.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”