Raise shade tarp off roof of camper

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
leenyjay
Burning Since: 2017

Raise shade tarp off roof of camper

Post by leenyjay » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:48 am

I found a good deal on a roll of 10x100ft shade tarp. We plan to have a few pieces to cover most of the trajectory of the sun, with one main piece stretching along the length of the trailer (18ft trailer with a piece of tarp about 25-30ft long. My problem is that the tarp is getting caught on the random things on my roof. What would be the best way to raise the shade tarp off the roof so it doesn't get caught on things and it makes an air pocket between the black tarp and the roof of the camper?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Raise shade tarp off roof of camper

Post by BBadger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:28 pm

Some people have proposed using pool noodles or 5-gallon buckets. This topic was covered somewhat in the box-truck shade topic. Keeping the tarp off the roof is more about keeping airflow, and less about snagging on shit.

If your shade cloth is standard black shade cloth you might consider buying something else. Black shade cloth radiates heat just as well as it absorbs it. I'd probably buy and use a heavy duty silvered tarp and ensure that there is airflow under that tarp. Even without it the silvering keeps a lot of the heat out.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi Leenyjay,

I've done it both ways, covered and uncovered. My travel trailer doesn't have a standard AC so I've rigged a window AC to work while I'm there. It is small and won't cool the entire trailer, but works well enough to have a place to hide during the hottest parts of the day.

Yes, you will keep the rig cooler in the early AM, but in all reality it only delays turning on your air conditioner by an hour or so. I also found that the time and effort to set it all up and then maintain it through all the wind is just not worth it. I used six of the the cheap blow up balls from the grocery store and then ratcheted it down really good. Even then I had to adjust it a number of times during the week.

If you have a decent air conditioner, don't waste your valuable BRC time on it. Do somethnig better!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 pm

+1 on what JBB said.

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 am

True dat, design and construction of a shade structure can be challenge. But definitely makes cooler inside.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 am

You could build an EMT structure to surround the camper but that always seemed like a waste of space to me. I'd rather just sit outside under the shade and let the breeze cool me off.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”