Everyone hates a sauna

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Everyone hates a sauna

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Everyone goes to Burning Man talking about how hot something is and describes it as a sauna. Well kids, I'm going to make a sauna. Our shower setup is always freezing cold so this year I want to make a propane powered sauna for camp. It's going to be about 5 foot by 5 foot and it needs to be propane powered. Has anyone on here built their own propane powered sauna back home? Can you give me some advice?

What is the hottest thing you've been in at Burning Man and how do I make one?
What is the best way to not die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a home made sauna? (Don't tell me it's by not going inside. ;-)
How do you make the most miserably hot sauna/shower?

*sweaty dusty filthy hugs*

I can't wait to see everyone again this summer. Today in Santa Cruz its freezing cold. I mean.. by Santa Cruz standards. It's so cold I need to wear long sleeves!
It was better next year. -Burners

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Everyone hates a sauna

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:36 pm

never thought of the playa as a sauna before, it's to damn dry...

I suppose you would start with a cedar/wood box
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I often joke that the Port-o-potties at around 2pm are great for couples acro bikram yoga. Not the urinal space but the actual poopers.

I'm thinking of making something a little like this but with a roof and the walls to the floor:
eclectic-pool.jpg
The tricky part I see is the heater. Gas ones cost a fortune new and American law makes it really hard to sell anything gas. It's such a small restrictive market that I'll probably get stuck building my own (because that's so much safer!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:20 pm

The folks at Automatic Subconscious (Boston Hive) bring a wet sauna, housed in a hexayurt.
I have no idea about the systematics, but they've got it down.

Last year, down the block from us, the Finnish folks made a sauna in a shuttle bus.
We had a great neighborhood!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I'd take a sauna with Gaminwench any day of the week.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Maybe a heavy -concrete, granite, volcanic rock is ideal.- sealed, to the building, propane combustion stove with the amount of air in set to completely combust the propane but not enough to take heat out the chimney. The stove will absorb and retain the heat radiating to the room. I've seen this type work with wood fired heat which probably isn't practical at TTID. My MIL has one that she uses an oven thermometer in. Building insulation is key, sod is often used. Low ceiling to keep heat down where people sit.
Baffles in the chimney help with heat loss. A sealed combustion chamber sends CO2 outside.
Google Finnish wood stove.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

So many great ideas! I sent a message off to the Boston Hive main contact from the website... I'll see what they say.

The Finnish stoves look awesome! Maybe I'll make one for home use someday. They look simple and really attractive. Now how do I make one that looks like crap but functions at Burning Man?... ;-)

I may tinker with some propane stuff later this year and see what I can do to NOT burn myself too badly. :-)

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:40 pm

I thought someone else on here may want this someday so here is a great diagram I found about saunas. Also a link to the page I got it from!

http://uralica.com/sauna2.html
heaters.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Popeye
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:46 pm

I didn't mean to imply that you could use a wood stove with propane. Wood burns at about 500 to 1000 degrees while propane in air is 3500 degrees and would probably melt or rupture a wood stove.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Ulisse wrote:I didn't mean to imply that you could use a wood stove with propane. Wood burns at about 500 to 1000 degrees while propane in air is 3500 degrees and would probably melt or rupture a wood stove.
I'm thinking about getting something designed for propane from a website named after a rainforest and then altering it considerably. I'll probably hack it into something like this:
sauna-gas-heater-part-breakdown.jpg
The real difference is that it won't be $2,500 and designed for a sauna, it will be $100 and designed as a funky gas space heater. I'll try something like this:
616m49piqAL._SL1200_.jpg
71qBLrBKY8L._SL1000_.jpg

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Someone in our camp made one, which we just called a steam shower. The sauna fit about 6-10 people at a time in close proximity, while sitting on benches. The heat and steam was generated by pouring water over a large piece of scrap metal that stuck into the "sauna" from the outside. That piece of metal was heated on the exterior by some sort of propane heating apparatus. We spray water over the chunk of metal to make it steam up, and remember to keep doing it from time to time to ensure that the metal didn't get too hot.

Oh yeah, and we had a pretty large evaporator to get rid of whatever water pooled up on the floor.

Worked great and was a treat, but way more effort than I would've been willing to go through.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 pm

In '13, the HBGB Healers (or was it Nectar Village?) was across the street and they had a big one. 15-20 foot or something geodesic dome with double layered Rmax to fill the space between struts and spray foam to seal space between Rmax and struts. I don't recall their exact heat/steam apparatus but I remember it being propane powered and pretty nifty and I think it had some sort of heat control...

A few of the more 'traditional' sweats I've experienced were wood pole structures covered with oil-cloth and layers of wool blankets on top for insulation..

I've done sweats and saunas and stuff before but almost always when it was cold outside. We went in during 90 something heat and it was way better than anticipated and getting out into the 'cool' afternoon afternoon was refreshing.

...anyways.. A sauna! Yeah! I can't wait to see your hacked up space heater!

legionvr6
Burning Since: 2017

Post by legionvr6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm

If you want to go for a wet sauna you just need to heat up a pile of rocks and pour water over it with some eucalyptus oil mixed in. Maybe a steel pan with smooth rocks in it on top of a camping stove on low would do the job. Just make a box to pretty it up a little

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Make sure that camping stove isn't inside the structure. That would be very bad news.

While I didn't experience it, one camp I know of created their own steambath this past year. As I understand it, it was just a hexayurt (with tarp floor), where the steam was piped in from a pot of water boiling on the outside. Sounded like they were pretty happy with it.

DuQuesne
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Cult of the Cat

Post by DuQuesne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 am

I don't want to be negative or make you think that I'm trolling - but - unless we don't think there is a man made climate change issue -shouldn't we be trying to work out how to do this without fossil fuels. On principal I mean. Isn't this the sort of thing we should be thinking of rather than propane? Image
The Cult of the Cat is our Radical Ritual Camp.
There is Body Painting, Friendship, Amazing Meditation & The Wildest Adventures on the Playa

To know more, volunteer or join, then join our facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cultofthecat/

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:40 am

Calling Dr. Buzzkill, calling Dr. Buzzkill, white emergency phone, stat.

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:04 am

What if I made a sauna that got its heat from burning 100% recycled coconut water boxes? I could use lumber from 100% fair trade, organic, gluten free hemp lumber too.

Soooo, I actually like your point about fossil fuels but my goal isn't to test a new post apocalyptic Tank Girl style steam bath... but that does sound fun.....

Also, building or buying equipment that only gets used at Burning Man doesn't work for me. For example, I have a generator so I use that instead of tons of batteries, solar power, and wind power. The total carbon footprint from running a generator for 10 days out of the year is way less than what it takes to design and construct a whole ecological "carbon neutral" non-fossil fuel burning system. If I got to use it the other 51 weeks out of the year we would be having a different conversation...

And I'm sure the same goes for a solar collector to heat water. Running a propane powered system for a week will use less carbon than processing, milling/machining, welding, constructing, and transporting a huge solar collector.

And I'm really not going to use it the rest of the year. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where I sometimes see the sun through the dense trees....

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

DuQuesne wrote:I don't want to be negative or make you think that I'm trolling - but - unless we don't think there is a man made climate change issue -shouldn't we be trying to work out how to do this without fossil fuels. On principal I mean. Isn't this the sort of thing we should be thinking of rather than propane?
I find it rich that you're so concerned with burning fossil fuels for a temporary camp sauna, and yet you're attending an event like Burning Man, one of the most profligate examples of fossil fuel use there is.

I mean, never mind the fact that this sauna and the metric ton of water it'll probably use, needs to be hauled in hundreds of miles and back, just to attend some art festival purposely located in the middle of nowhere. Why not question whether it should be brought in the first place? Or anything else for that matter. That propane is going to make a huge difference among all the gasoline powered cars, propane powered fridges, gas-powered generators, air conditioners, giant burning sculptures, airplanes, low-geared mutant vehicles, and all the power needed to buy and build the stuff that often is ruined and unusable after the event.

On principle, if you were really serious about any of this you wouldn't attend this event with all the other mass polluters (burners) in the first place.

Do your part to save the planet by boycotting Burning Man.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 am

Now.... How to get it there.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

silverfish
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Ridiculicious

Post by silverfish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:32 am

Rocks (not ones with air pockets inside - they can explode) heated over a fire, then placed inside on a suitable surface (trash can lid or firepan) can work great. Then just pour water on them and add essential oils if you like. I have done this river side more than once and it is fairly easy.

The structure itself can be super simple - anything domeshaped works, teepee style can also work, but lower roofs are better than higher roofs. Try PVC pipe used like it is for a monkey hut, but in a low dome shape (drive the rebar into the ground at something like a 45 degree angle and connect each end of the pic pipe). Layer tarps over it, then blankets or sleeping bags, and one final tarp and a few straps or ropes to secure everything from becoming moop in the wind.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33 am

Nordic Camp had a sauna installed inside a "short bus" near 3:15 & F at the 2016 event.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:10 am

DuQuesne wrote:I don't want to be negative or make you think that I'm trolling - but - unless we don't think there is a man made climate change issue -shouldn't we be trying to work out how to do this without fossil fuels. On principal I mean. Isn't this the sort of thing we should be thinking of rather than propane? Image
On principle, shouldn't you NOT be taking part in Burning Man at all?

Does everyone need to be bored to tears with a list of dozens of reasons why the whole thing is a wasteful, polluting luxury entertainment event?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
DuQuesne wrote:I don't want to be negative or make you think that I'm trolling - but - unless we don't think there is a man made climate change issue -shouldn't we be trying to work out how to do this without fossil fuels. On principal I mean. Isn't this the sort of thing we should be thinking of rather than propane? Image
On principle, shouldn't you NOT be taking part in Burning Man at all?

Does everyone need to be bored to tears with a list of dozens of reasons why the whole thing is a wasteful, polluting luxury entertainment event?
Climate change is real and our party in the desert isn't reducing our footprints... All that being said, I find it unlikely that any American has a small enough footprint to be sustainable. If you take a plane every few years, eat a few pieces of beef a year, or drive a car you are making the world a worse place. If you live in a home made of wood, or concrete, or anything but reclaimed trash it is impacting our climate in a bad way. Some even argue that wearing synthetic clothing, living in cities, or heaven forbid actually reproducing are as bad or worse than anything else you can do. The ship is sinking. The rats haven't noticed yet. Maybe someday soon we will find ourselves alone with the rats, fighting about who had a better investment retirement plan.

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

...talk about your buzzkill...

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:...talk about your buzzkill...
I love Burning Man and the people there, but one reason I do is that we tend not to sugar coat everything (except bacon, caramelized bacon is awesome).

Sustainability is a hot topic. I just don't think it's one we can actually apply to a party in the desert. We can discuss it but I feel like discussing sustainability at Burning Man is like discussing the the subtle harmonics of fiddling while the flames lap around our Roman palace.

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:17 am

gaminwench wrote:The folks at Automatic Subconscious (Boston Hive) bring a wet sauna, housed in a hexayurt.
I have no idea about the systematics, but they've got down.
I used this sauna 2 years ago and it was awesome! The heating of the steam was done with propane outside the yurt and was piped in. There were nice benches to sit on inside. Capacity was probably about 12 people. Once you came back outside, your body felt absolutely electric. Really, there should be one of these on every block in the city!
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:36 am

Just one small request...
where will your camp be placed?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

SteveInRealLife
Camp Name: Fjorgyn / Stag Camp co-founder

Post by SteveInRealLife » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 am

Talk to these guys. They're homemade sauna experts and their party grows exponentially every year. A good friend of mine in Helsinki helped build the original Sompasauna and they're super friendly people and down to talk and offer advice. http://www.sompasauna.fi/?page_id=263

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Roundabout, I used that one too. It was amazing and sweating off layers of dust made you feel great when you got out.

steambathproject
Camp Name: Steam Bath Project

Post by steambathproject » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am

The Steam Bath Project

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”