Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Tents

Post by stephen2u » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Has anyone tried using two tents at the same time, I got a new huge canvas tent 10x14 feet for this burn, I'm going to put my 2 person tent in the big tent for sleeping and I also use a evaporative cooler when I sleep during the day, this is my 5 burn the 2 person tent is what I used for the last 3 burns i'm tired of sleeping in the dust and I think this will work to keep the dust out, any advice or tips can help.
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Tents

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Will this keep you cool? Even with an evap, I usually want my outer (shade) structure to have airflow.

The best way to keep the dust out is to simply have a tent without mesh. Then whatever you do outside it for shade or whatever doesn't matter too much.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:19 pm

BBadger wrote:Will this keep you cool? Even with an evap, I usually want my outer (shade) structure to have airflow.

The best way to keep the dust out is to simply have a tent without mesh. Then whatever you do outside it for shade or whatever doesn't matter too much.
My small tent is a marmot Thor p2 4 session tent dust still gets through the material when the wind gusts get up high, I'm also thinking of putting some Solar blankets on the small tent to make is dark inside, the large tent in a spring bar canvas tent the mesh will be sealed up with zippers
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

In 2009, our friends tried something like this. They set their tents up inside a very large (10x20 maybe) enclosed carport/tent structure. Because the outer tent had few vent options, it got hot fast, and stayed hot after the outside had cooled down. We were all jealous of their plan on our way there, thinking we would go and hang out in their awesome spot. It did not turn out that way.

I sleep in my tent under a carport. I add two solid walls on the windward side, and hang bedsheet curtains on the leeward side. My tent stays pretty comfortable, and I crawl out into the breezy carport if the tent gets too hot.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

stephen2u wrote:My small tent is a marmot Thor p2 4 session tent dust still gets through the material when the wind gusts get up high, I'm also thinking of putting some Solar blankets on the small tent to make is dark inside, the large tent in a spring bar canvas tent the mesh will be sealed up with zippers
There's no point to the inner tent is if your outer tent is going to trap heat inside anyway. The purpose of the outer (shade) structure is to both shade your inner structure from direct radiance, and to allow the heated air under the surface to waft away. This is why a Monkey Hut (MH) works so well, better than a fully enclosed carport (note how Chowski's setup permits airflow instead of sealing up the entire structure). Airflow is the secret to staying cool under shade at BM.

As for the solar blankets, they will block out light, but the heat of the ambient air will still cook you. They'd be more useful on the surface of the outer tent if they're not too fragile.

I would buy a mesh-free inner tent (the tent you listed above has mesh), or just use the canvas tent you own, and then build or buy some sort of outer, open shade structure that will permit airflow like a MH or carport.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:03 pm

BBadger wrote:
stephen2u wrote:My small tent is a marmot Thor p2 4 session tent dust still gets through the material when the wind gusts get up high, I'm also thinking of putting some Solar blankets on the small tent to make is dark inside, the large tent in a spring bar canvas tent the mesh will be sealed up with zippers
There's no point to the inner tent is if your outer tent is going to trap heat inside anyway. The purpose of the outer (shade) structure is to both shade your inner structure from direct radiance, and to allow the heated air under the surface to waft away. This is why a Monkey Hut (MH) works so well, better than a fully enclosed carport (note how Chowski's setup permits airflow instead of sealing up the entire structure). Airflow is the secret to staying cool under shade at BM.

As for the solar blankets, they will block out light, but the heat of the ambient air will still cook you. They'd be more useful on the surface of the outer tent if they're not too fragile.

I would buy a mesh-free inner tent (the tent you listed above has mesh), or just use the canvas tent you own, and then build or buy some sort of outer, open shade structure that will permit airflow like a MH or carport.

I know about the heat, that's why I plan on using my evaporator cooler in my small tent if i sleep in the day should be easy to cool off, I have used this tent for 3 years without shade this works for me, on my first year I setup a monkey hut it worked, but it was also a lot of work, to much for me, I'm wondering has anyone used a evaporator Cooler in a tent within a canvas tent. I'm also trying to have a dust free sleeping area

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I do admit that those MHs are a pain to transport and manage. They worked fine when we brought a trailer, but without one I've since switched to a carport myself (same shaded area, but easier transport).

I do think it is still going to be hotter than normal because you're going to be trapping the hot air around your inner tent and will need to rely solely on your evap cooler to keep things cool during the day. You'll also need to exhaust the humid air that is generated by your evap cooler directly to the outside, not into the outer tent or it'll stop working.

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 pm

BBadger wrote:I do admit that those MHs are a pain to transport and manage. They worked fine when we brought a trailer, but without one I've since switched to a carport myself (same shaded area, but easier transport).

I do think it is still going to be hotter than normal because you're going to be trapping the hot air around your inner tent and will need to rely solely on your evap cooler to keep things cool during the day. You'll also need to exhaust the humid air that is generated by your evap cooler directly to the outside, not into the outer tent or it'll stop working.
Yes the humidity my be a issue I think I have a workaround I can put a intake tube that runs to the outside of the big tent to my evaporate cooler, or just put the evaporate cooler outside and run it to the small tent, this would create a positive airflow in both tents I have a small vent on top of the big tent the humidity can escape, I'll try this here in Arizona before I'm on the playa, it's a dry heat.
On a side note I have made two evaporate cooler for burning man one is a 5 gallon with a industrial small fan not ones for Computer case, the other cooler is a 35 gallon barrel with a car fan with sheet metal duck work this is quite amazed at cooling people off in the Chair of Pleasure it sits above your head and runs down to your feet, I run 2 110 amp hour battery's with solar panels that I put on the top of my truck :lol: :lol: :lol:

silverfish
Camp Name: Ridiculicious

Post by silverfish » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:46 pm

You can safety pin cloth (like an old bed sheet) over the mesh areas on your smaller tent to keep the dust out of it.

The un-vented tent inside a tent will get very hot and not cool down as quickly at night - but you might get to sleep in a bit longer. Adding a radiant barrier to the inner tent won't help much unless there is good ventilation through the outer tent - and it will stop the inner tent from cooling as quickly at night. If you add radiant barrier to the outer tent and have ventilation between the outer and inner tent from/to the outside things will work much better.

A bucket swamp cooler will help. You could also consider getting the Siesta4 or a No Bake Tent and selling the canvas tent.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”