Hexayurts vs. RVs? Why not a hybrid?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Kick Me
Burning Since: 2001

Hexayurts vs. RVs? Why not a hybrid?

Post by Kick Me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am

Good morning everyone! (at least where I live) If you live somewhere else, hopefully the weather is lovely wherever you are!

Lately, though, I've heard bad and good things about the weather on the playa... the bad is that it's flooded. The good is that it is beautiful out there! And also that it might stop being flooded in time for the burn. Yay!

But even if it IS dry in time, one fear I've always had when I camped in my hexayurt is that the water would get under the walls. That actually did happen once, and it wasn't catastrophic, but it wasn't the most fun I've ever had... If only there was a good way to lift a 'yurt off the ground!

I thought about that problem for awhile, and last fall I put this project together. It is basically an RV built from a hexayurt. I took it to AZ/NM decompression and a lot of people wanted some instructions on building one. I've finally got that together - mostly. I still need to create final instructions regarding the *spoiler alert* swamp cooler, shower stall, sink, solar hot water heater, and running water.

I wanted to get the instructions ready in time for people to build for Saguaro Man, and I was really really hoping to see someone else create one of these things. Since Sag Man is less than a month away, I might have to wait on that wish. Also, because I'm unable to make it to Burning Man this year, if anyone builds one of these - let me know! It's great fun and I think it is the perfect solution to burning on a budget :)

So here you go - but be warned - it's LONG. And I'm still working on the next post o.O

http://www.whatwhyand.how/2017/03/hexay ... t-has.html

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Hexayurts vs. RVs? Why not a hybrid?

Post by maladroit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am

OK. I had this idea too, but always wanted to make it collapsible; a trailer with cargo space that pops up into an origami yurt.

Regarding the idea of building a yurt and towing it down the road: I'm glad it worked, but I can't get the image of a bunch of polyiso panels exploding into tiny bits to go away.

Kick Me

Post by Kick Me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am

...but I can't get the image of a bunch of polyiso panels exploding into tiny bits to go away.
I was terrified of that too! (Got to see it on one of my trips to the hardware store when I lost a panel off of the trailer on the way home - eep!) And I watched my rearview mirrors intensely as I drove - expecting another show. It never happened, thankfully! I'll also say that this thing is rock solid - I climbed on top of it, and I weigh 225. I put my weight on the corners though, but still...

As far as the pop-up design - I'd love to see it! I can't quite get my head around the best way to make it work though. A friend of mine suggested telescoping walls, but that may end up being weak in a windstorm... I don't know - but I'm sure it can be done and if I mean WHEN you work it out please share!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:36 am

FANTASTICO!!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am

Sounds interesting (and reminds me of a lighter weight version of FIGJAM's custom playapod), but do you collapse it for highway transport or do you drive on the highway with your insulation foam structure on the trailer? I couldn't tell from skimming through the pictures whether there's a wooden framework inside it, or if it's just the hex shape at the base. Good luck!

Kick Me

Post by Kick Me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 am

No collapsing, and no internal structure. Just the foam, tape, and paint! It actually shimmies and shakes less than the trailer used to with the plywood box on it too :) EDIT: It actually doesn't shimmy at all as near as I can tell. Haven't been inside for a proper windstorm yet, but no wiggling on the freeway at 75

I googled the custom playapod - but didn't find anything with images. Do you have a good link? I think I may have met that guy at Decompression one year - he had a wooden trailer or camper shell - can't remember which. It was neat!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

I believe figjam chronicled his build on the 2013 work in progress thread - here's a link to one of his posts, if you scroll through the thread you can follow the progress.

I'm not really a yurt guy or an RV guy, so I couldn't really say whether it's genius or folly. Without any internal support I'd be concerned that if there was a strong gust hitting it from the side while it was at speed (which happens fairly often on the way in/out) it could end badly, but I've never built or driven one to the playa either... so long as it works for you and you're having fun, it's a win.

Kick Me

Post by Kick Me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

I believe that is the one I saw - it was quite nice inside! Since I don't have internal structure I had to get a little creative with my amenities haha.

I think the yurt RV tows the line somewhere between genius and folly - though I can't claim the genius part. Lots of folks put in a lot of effort in making yurts work out on the playa. They are the geniuses. I just took what they built and stuck it on a trailer :)

As for folly - I don't think the wind is gonna get it. But if ever it was in an accident, or went under a low bridge or something else - game over!

I rather like how crazy this idea seems though. That's part of why I built my first yurt. It seems crazy, but it works a treat XD

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Post by WileE13 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 am

Nice work. Add some siding and you'll have one of those mobile tiny houses.

Kick Me

Post by Kick Me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks! And that's not a bad idea - but I've never worked with it. Is it pricey? Or heavy?

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Post by WileE13 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 am

Kick Me wrote:
Thanks! And that's not a bad idea - but I've never worked with it. Is it pricey? Or heavy?
That depends on what you buy and where. You'd want to do some frame work with 2x4 as well if you decide to add siding, otherwise it will be a weak structure and not worth the extra effort of going the "tiny house" route. "8 ft" (not actually 8 ft, more like 91.5 inches) 2x4 studs are cheap, a couple bucks each. Siding can get expensive and heavy depending on how thick and what type. I really couldn't tell you exact prices though. Best bet with siding on a project like this, is to find some salvaged siding off an old remodeled home. Most contractors will just give it away. A lot of old homes from the 70's had that fake 1/4 in thick wood siding, which when painted would probably work just fine. I've got a shed full of it now, ripped out of a friends home. He was going to throw it in the dump, but I saved it to do the interior of an old shed. People throw that stuff out all the time, you'll just have to keep a look out for it. The more difficult and expensive part would be the roof. Once again, for a project like that, you could probably find salvaged roofing. Whatever you do, I like the project and hope you get it to the burn.

Kick Me

Post by Kick Me » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I think I'll leave the siding off of the trailer - but you are inspiring me to build a workshop in the back yard! I've sort of always wanted to anyhow :D

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some salvaged material!

I won't make it to the burn this year unless a miracle happens... got a hectic summer ahead of me. But heading to a regional in less than two weeks!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”