showers

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Renie

showers

Post by Renie » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:55 pm

It is my understanding that the LLC bought the pink building just playa side of the taxidermist where the $5 showers were in (Gerlach) 2004.

Q:The Gerlach showers were not open in '05, but will there be showers in '06?

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:57 pm

are you a time traveler? :shock:
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

DVD Burner
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Re: showers

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Renie wrote: Q:The Gerlach showers were not open in '05, but will there be showers in '06?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Renie

Showers

Post by Renie » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:19 am

I had just gotten up, let me correct that.
The showers were avalible in 03, and closed in 04. Will they be open in 05?

Bob
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:57 am

You haven't taken a shower since... when?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

alienfry

Post by alienfry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:48 pm

hahaha

we shower in sparks. there's a bunch of trucker stops to do it at. they're clean and only $7 and i took like 35 minutes. money very well spent.
awesome oppossum

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:59 pm

My understanding is that there are going to be very nice showers at the main entrance where the parking valets are.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:51 am

But be sure to tip the parking valets otherwise they'll direct you to the run off trickle from the cattle watering troughs.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Renie

getting wet

Post by Renie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:15 am

Okay so I take it that nobody knows about the status of the showers in Gerlach.

If a solar shower and wash cloth doesn’t cut it for you there are other ways to get clean-ish during the event.
Gray (a guy at the airport) has, in the past, brought a couple of bathtub inserts and a water pump. Bring some water and let him take pictures and you can get a shower at the airport if he is doing them again.
Real showers can be bought at the truck stops in both Wadsworth and Fernley. You can wash your clothes there as well.
Also day permits to Pyramid lake can be had in Nixon for $6 or $7 per vehicle. Permits can be bought in either the gas station or the museum.

Because of my psorisis I will be going to the lake for a long soak. If any one else decides to go to the lake, go during the week. The locals come up on the weekends and you will be more likely to get a ticket for being naked.

MusicVixen

Post by MusicVixen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info Renie. I deal with the "heartbreak of" as well and know how important it is to keep is moisturized. Might just see ya at the lake. :)
[color=indigo]MusicVixen[/color]

Renie

Psorisis

Post by Renie » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:08 pm

Hmm, this makes me wonder how many people who go to the event have psorisis.
It also makes me wonder if it keeps them from taking their clothes off.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 05, 2005 1:40 pm

There are very nice FREE showers available along the I-80 corridor 24/7. Most all the cathouses will let you shower, no obligation, (I think it is all, but am not 100% certain). I've been on the road with larry in the truck, and we had to stop for the night at Battle Mountain. The truckstop was pretty crowded so we headed for Donna's Ranch, just a few blocks over. They have semi parking, free coffee, iced tea, and showers. There's free chili and internet at the one we were at. The only thing you'd have to pay for is the booze or the girls, or souvenirs (t-shirts, shot glasses) if you like and you aren't pressured for those purchases.

The shower was extremely clean, roomy with two shower heads, all the soap and shampoo you could want, tons of fresh towels. Everyone was super friendly and I don't think they were faking it.

You can sleep in your vehicle in their parking lot, truckers do it all the time. Obviously, no one under 18. I've told larry I'd rather stay outside a whorehouse in Nevada than many truckstops! They're cleaner, nicer, and quieter.

The brothels advertise on CB, so getting directions could be tricky if you don't have one.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Thu May 05, 2005 4:12 pm

AntiM wrote:The brothels advertise on CB, so getting directions could be tricky if you don't have one.
Me and my friends were greatly amused coming up alt95 by one late-night lady crooning over the CB " Helllllooo all you truckers, come and get some.....free coffee and donuts..."; directions and such followed, repeated every few minutes. She sounded bored, heheh.
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

HughMungus

Re: getting wet

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 05, 2005 9:06 pm

Renie wrote:Bring some water and let him take pictures and you can get a shower at the airport if he is doing them again.
WHAT?
It's what you make it.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 06, 2005 6:09 pm

Renie is right. Every year, even though we have our own large shower and a shower in the RV, my friend and I bike out to the airport, find Gray, who runs the airport shower and is a friend and neighbor of mine, gift him something (shirt, wine, naked hug) and bring our own water and they have showers with curtins, tile flooring, etc. Don't expect the water to be hot, because it isn't. But for a pleasant experience and comparitive privacy, that's the ticket. But you didn't hear it from me. And yes, two can fit very comfortably in a shower, and everyone knows that in order to save water, you shower with a friend...

gawul

Post by gawul » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 pm

we have a battery powered shower and a shower tent (we also keep our own porta-potty in there)

anyway, it's an easy way to shower every day on the playa. we dump the grey water into a vat and let most of it dry out in the sun. the rest we take home

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:21 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Renie is right. Every year, even though we have our own large shower and a shower in the RV, my friend and I bike out to the airport, find Gray, who runs the airport shower and is a friend and neighbor of mine, gift him something (shirt, wine, naked hug) and bring our own water and they have showers with curtins, tile flooring, etc. Don't expect the water to be hot, because it isn't. But for a pleasant experience and comparitive privacy, that's the ticket. But you didn't hear it from me. And yes, two can fit very comfortably in a shower, and everyone knows that in order to save water, you shower with a friend...
Hm. Maybe Renie thinking about the local yokels who do the free shower/picture thing.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:58 pm

Fish, Geekster, you left out the monorail directly from the Gerlach Hilton.
That'll be two demerits each and I'm afraid we'll have to take away your funny hats...
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:19 pm

I read there was a monorail directly _to_ the Paris Hilton.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:08 am

diane o'thirst wrote:Fish, Geekster, you left out the monorail directly from the Gerlach Hilton.
That'll be two demerits each and I'm afraid we'll have to take away your funny hats...
No! It/s my funny hat and I'll eat it before I let you take it away...[/sulk]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”