Carport shade questions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Jeremy757jones
Burning Since: 2017

Carport shade questions

Post by Jeremy757jones » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm

I am bring a carport to put my tent under. It will look like this.

I want to shade the sides and back of the carport and was curious what people are doing?

I'm considering buying a 50' roll of this and just wrapping it around.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any experience?

I want my kodiak tent in as much shade as possible but looking for something that breathes a little.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Carport shade questions

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm

We use those carports for our camp - here's what I have found works. First, you will need to stake down at least the four corner legs, if not all six. the frame is fairly stable, but the joints will come apart in wind, so I highly recommend you duct tape each joint as you are putting it together - you don't have to go crazy, but once around will keep the thing together no problem. Without that, they can easily bust apart, making you climb back up midweek to try to keep things together. T-garden stakes or long rebar work well, and the structure will be secure in everything but the strongest windstorm without needing to guy line it if you use duct tape liberally on each stake/leg.

For shade, they sell a set of sidewalls, but with all four up, it becomes too hot. You best bet is to use one or two solid walls as wind blocks - wind direction is fairly consistent, ask a neighbor when you arrive. Sunrise is generally a different direction from the predominant wind, so we use bed sheets to create wind-permeable "walls". We take each sheet, and sew a little pocket at the top of each, then string rope through them and hang them to the frame of the carport. With the right set-up, you can "close" your little room for some privacy, or open it and tie it back when you want a view or company.

Just keep in mind that the roof will provide shade during most of the day, but you need to shade off the wall where the sun rises. Also, place your tent as far from that wall as possible, so if there is a breeze, and your sheet walls are blowing, you will be out of the sun as much as possible. Good luck.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Those particular carports are held together with gravity and their cover on top. That means they'll probably pop apart while on playa after a strong breeze. If you don't tape up the joints or use cross-connections to keep them together -- and attached to the ground -- you might be better served with a Costco carport, though you'll still need to bolt it to the ground.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:17 am

BBadger wrote:Those particular carports are held together with gravity and their cover on top. That means they'll probably pop apart while on playa after a strong breeze. If you don't tape up the joints or use cross-connections to keep them together -- and attached to the ground -- you might be better served with a Costco carport, though you'll still need to bolt it to the ground.
Yeah, even a 20' COSTCO carport will take off in a 20 MPH wind if untethered.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:26 am

I'm not asking about securing the carport I have that taken care of. Just shade advice please.

DeGracht
Burning Since: 2020

Post by DeGracht » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 am

Why looking for shade if your mood can use some sunshine.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:06 am

DeGracht wrote:Why looking for shade if your mood can use some sunshine.

No mood my friend. Just redirecting people back to my question about shade.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 am

Jeremy, Here is what I did last year. I made perfectly fitting tarps. Then I sewed some pretty cloth panels to tie on the inside. They provide decor and extra shade.

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=77435
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:38 am

When people who haven't been to BRC talk about bringing a somewhat flimsy carport, by default we start making sure you understand how much wind it's gonna have to withstand. Maybe you're aware, but we gotta make sure because they fly - into other people's camps!
That's why you're getting some well-intended tie-down talk.

Camo netting is popular because it does better in the wind. You might consider something more opaque under your roof tarp to block more sun.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 am

Ratty wrote:Jeremy, Here is what I did last year. I made perfectly fitting tarps. Then I sewed some pretty cloth panels to tie on the inside. They provide decor and extra shade.

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=77435
and they look like panties...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:15 pm

How about a great big chunk of aluminet instead of the stock roof and sides?
Lets air through, rejects sun... That's a bit of camo net on the far end.
shade structure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Lucky, and your point is?

No they are not panties. They are beautiful 2 sided dust catchers with tassels. (Yes I'm drunk, thanks for asking). If the Amtrakathon is cancelled will we form another event? The January Reno gathering under some other name. I really don't mind driving there if there is a party at the end of the rainbow. Rest assured if this is the last year, (for a while. Until 'The Cheeto' is ousted), It will be a HELL of a party.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Jeremy757jones wrote:I'm not asking about securing the carport I have that taken care of. Just shade advice please.
Ok. I didn't take it as anything other than a needed re-focus. But keep in mind, none of us want to be on the receiving end of a flying carport. If you can afford aluminet then do it. If not you may be able to find surplus camo netting online. There are Government Liquidation web sites that auction military equip. Sometimes you can score a great deal. PM me if interested, I'm trying to decomidify my posts & not list businesses here. I have seen parachutes & camo netting with support systems on these sites. I would definitely use something that can breath or offer minimal wind resistance.

If you search on "shade" you will probably get more information than you need to make an informed decision.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:53 pm

DeGracht wrote:Why looking for shade if your mood can use some sunshine.
Hee hee
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 am

Ratty wrote:Lucky, and your point is?

No they are not panties. They are beautiful 2 sided dust catchers with tassels. (Yes I'm drunk, thanks for asking). If the Amtrakathon is cancelled will we form another event? The January Reno gathering under some other name. I really don't mind driving there if there is a party at the end of the rainbow. Rest assured if this is the last year, (for a while. Until 'The Cheeto' is ousted), It will be a HELL of a party.
My point is panties are funny. Well looks like I'm 2 for 2 in offending people around here. Oh well
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:14 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Ratty wrote:Lucky, and your point is?

My point is panties are funny. Well looks like I'm 2 for 2 in offending people around here. Oh well

Lucky, I thought the same thing.
LoL. OK, they look like bikini bottoms. I kept looking for and couldn't see anyone only wearing Bikini tops :oops:

No, I'm not drunk. I wish I was :-)

Looks nice Ratty. Obviously a lot of thought & hard work went in to making that. Nice job.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Joeln wrote:How about a great big chunk of aluminet instead of the stock roof and sides?

shade structure.jpg
Any idea what size aluminet that is?

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Jeremy757jones wrote:
Joeln wrote:How about a great big chunk of aluminet instead of the stock roof and sides?

shade structure.jpg
Any idea what size aluminet that is?
That piece is 28 X 20 feet - check your PM's for details.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 am

Alright everybody, just relax. To Jeremy: I have camped with that exact carport for years. Alone or in groups, as long as it is taped at the joints and staked down hard at the corners, the frame isn't going anywhere. It is the veteran's job to frighten virgins so they are prepared. You've go this. No problem. These carports aren't flimsy if you set them up right, and that does not include guy wiring - totally unnecessary if the stakes are firm and the tape is super tight.

The absolute worst that MIGHT happen in a crazy storm like we had in 2015 is part of the roof might slip off. It's a pain to get it down during a storm, but you'll be fine. Make a solid wall or two for a wind block, park your vehicle against that wall for more security, and make breezy curtains for the other two or three walls.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Perhaps you've never been to BRC when we had some real wind.
Some of us have and we're not making this shit up.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

I like that Aluminet "hat" stretched over the whole thing, but keep in mind that on some of the lower-end carports, the factory-included canopy is structural--it helps keep the frame tightened up, so I'd do the original canopy w/ bungee balls as designed, and the aluminet hat over the whole thing.
I've also used that exact "low-end" carport with success and we bought a sidewall kit for it with moderate success (most of the grommets ripped out by the end of the week but it did OK). Staking and ratchet straps are key.

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Post by WileE13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 am

Something I've found helpful in all my camping adventures, not just BM, is using canvas instead of plastic tarps. They are softer, don't make as much noise, and they don't leave moop like the woven plastic ones. They also seem to breath better. The initial cost is kind of high, but worth it. I'm still using 50+ yr old canvas tarps my grandparents had. They work well for sides on carports. The extra weight keeps them from flapping around as much. Another way we provide shade is with sheets. We'll tie them up good and let them flap. The motion is kind of soothing and pretty as we use tie dyed sheets.

2Thu
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Against the Machine

Post by 2Thu » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I have a question about anyone who have brought a carport to BM.

I was planning on bringing one this year but when it is taken apart, about how big are the parts? What I mean is, I just have a 2007 Honda Accord, would I be able to transport a carport?

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I don't know that car well enough to advise (I'd suggest heading to Costco and taking a look at the box) but here's some rough numbers:

For the Coscto variety, the poles are about 6.5 feet long. There are 25 of them, though some of them nest inside others, so you only need to be worried about 17 of them (plus covers, tie downs, and anchors). I'd have to go measure the median diameter of the poles, but I'd say they are no more than 2" in diameter.

So figure on a stack either 4"x18" or 6"x12" and 6.5 feet long, assuming you bind them to keep them stacked. The covers, tie downs, and anchors take up space as well, but those can be arranged in a number of ways.

2Thu
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Against the Machine

Post by 2Thu » Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 am

Thank you for that very detailed replied! I assume you used a truck to transport yours?

I went to my local Costco and they didn't have it. I was going to order it online but I was worried that it'd be too big. My car is just an average sedan so I don't think it's capable of transporting 7ft poles.

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Wed May 03, 2017 6:14 am

When you go to Costco to look for the carport, you have to actually say you are looking for the 10 x 20 canopy. Costco does not call it a carport and will always tell you they don't have it if you call it that. Also, it is not something they carry online. They do carry replacement roof tarp for the unit, but not the unit itself. Most of the Costco online things do not cross over into the store, and vice versa.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 am

2Thu wrote:Thank you for that very detailed replied! I assume you used a truck to transport yours?
FYI, the carports (aka canopies) are seasonal, so it's possible yours just doesn't have them in yet.

I bring out our gear in a 10' cargo trailer behind my 4Runner, so close enough. If your car has a standard trunk rather than a hatchback, it would probably be a tough fit.

An easier option for you might be a simple flat-top shade structure , assuming you can come up with some kind of roof rack to strap a few 2x3's on top.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”