Transporting PVC to the playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Transporting PVC to the playa

Post by claybcook » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:19 am

I'm going to have 10-12 lengths of 10' pvc on my roof rack on my way there. Other than being securely attached to the roof rack and secured together (I'm thinking duct tape) has anyone had issues with pvc getting all wobbly in the 70+ mph breeze on the way there? I'm not so worried about the tail end, but I can see that the leading edge could begin to flop around. Is it a good idea to gather the front ends of the pipes together and then secure them to the front bumper or something?
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Transporting PVC to the playa

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 am

I'm sitting here with my coffee trying to puzzle it out. We used to carry our canoe that way. You wouldn't want them to bend down in front of your windshield. That would get you a ticket. I've seen them transported in a giant PVC tube. Even that would bend. How long is your car. 15 feet or 18 feet. You can load it so it barely peeps out over the front windshield. Cover the ends so it doesn't 'whistle' you to insanity. I solve every problem with sewing so naturally I say make a bag. You should see my trashcan cozies.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

XPTom
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

To get J channel and other flimsy things to a siding job we would Include a 2X4 or one larger diameter PVC pipe in the bundle as a stiffener.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 pm

You may want to consider drilling small holes near one end of each piece and run some thin airplane cable through them. This would keep the pipes in the center of the bundle from getting loose and becoming projectiles if you had to stop suddenly...
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Depending on your application, this idea might or might not work for you.

As few years ago, I was facing a similar situation. My fix was to cut my 10' PVC pipes in half and glue PVC couplings on half of them at home. Once on the playa, it was a simple matter the other sections into the pre-installed couplings. For me, it was so much easier to transport 5' pieces rather than worry about transporting 10' pieces. For the return trip, cut them in half again.

Depending on the diameter of your PVC pipe; If you are working with 1" or less diameter, they make an inexpensive hand-held PVC scissor-type device that is easy to use, quick and makes a clean cut.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:46 pm

You could buy a 2x4 or two and strap them to that so that they're kept relatively rigid. It won't add that much weight to the bundle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

claybcook

Post by claybcook » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 am

Good ideas. I was planning to lay them out flat with gaps between each of them and duct tape them, so each pipe was secured by tape, then roll up the whole thing. I'm not worried about what extends behind, it'll trail in the wind just fine. The leading edge bits could flail around a bit, so I want to secure them somehow. I think some paracord around the leading bundle then down to the front bumper to keep things relatively centered will do the trick. Or else it won't. After I'm done practicing the building of the monkey hut, I guess I'll practice driving around with pipes on the roof. It's always something.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:38 am

Industrial/packaging Saran wrap. Nice and tight, and cover the ends.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 am

I like the saran wrap idea. How about you don't put it on the roof? Attach it to the passenger side instead.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:07 pm

By saran wrap they mean pallet wrap. Best stuff ever! You can get the larger pallet wrapping tools, but the smaller hand-rollers work quite well. They're sold online or at hardware stores. Really handy for bundling up carport pipes and other shit too.
packaging-pallet-wrap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

kaylabird87
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Hookers and Makers in Barbie Death Camp

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:55 am

[quote="Ratty]I solve every problem with sewing so naturally I say make a bag. You should see my trashcan cozies.[/quote]

Ratty.

I need to see these trash can cozies.
"Some (women) just want to watch the world burn."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 am

BBadger wrote:By saran wrap they mean pallet wrap. Best stuff ever! You can get the larger pallet wrapping tools, but the smaller hand-rollers work quite well. They're sold online or at hardware stores. Really handy for bundling up carport pipes and other shit too.

packaging-pallet-wrap.png

I second the pallet wrap idea. MyLarry is a trucker, he has access to this magical material.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 am

I have traveled by the Northern route with 20' lengths attached to a roof rack on a rental mid-size sedan. It was bent toward the bumper on the front by a rope and extended behind the vehicle about 4' with a red flag. It was for a monkey hut, so it is going to develop an arched bend over the week anyway. Janky and secure - the Burning Man way.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon May 01, 2017 3:46 pm

If you roll them up with duct tape (so that each tube is contacting a lot of duct tape) and then wrap some strapping or paracord around the ends, I think it will act like a nice stiff single piece. 10 feet isn't that much and if you already have a roof rack the biggest problem is already gone.

I transported my first monkeyhut INSIDE my jeep by taking out the passenger seat and arcing the pipes down into the footwell. My camp had a 25' monkeyhut, solar system, 6 man tent, table, chairs, plywood bench, camp stove, 70qt cooler, and more. All undetectably inside the vehicle, just a bike rack on the back. The days of solo burns are over with vehicle passes, but that worked out pretty nicely.

claybcook

Post by claybcook » Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm

First drive home from Home Depot went just fine. 12 10' sections of 1" and 2 10' sections of 1 1/4". No problem. Duct taped together, then bungy corded to each other and the roof rack. I was able to see the leading ends while I drove at up to 75 mph, and no tendency to flap or vibrate. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the guidance.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Pro tip about the pallet plastic wrap (I use the stuff on a daily basis): tie the ends up, or it'll unravel on the freeway.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Paperman
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: EBB and Glow

Post by Paperman » Thu May 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Buy a 10' steel conduet pole and add it to the bundle and strap the bundle on both ends and in the middle. Duck tape is a nightmare in the heat, you can't get the glue off anything. Many different types of 1" nylon straps with buckles that will hold them tight. You always want your load secure as you cant see it when you are driving and if it comes lose could be quite a disaster for others on the road. You won't be able to secure the bundle with a 2" x 4" as it is not round. Just use a steel pole, cheap, and then you can use standard cargo straps to rachet the bundle tight. And test it first. This will work just great. Good Luck

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun May 07, 2017 7:10 am

Paperman wrote:Buy a 10' steel conduet pole and add it to the bundle and strap the bundle on both ends and in the middle. Duck tape is a nightmare in the heat, you can't get the glue off anything. Many different types of 1" nylon straps with buckles that will hold them tight. You always want your load secure as you cant see it when you are driving and if it comes lose could be quite a disaster for others on the road. You won't be able to secure the bundle with a 2" x 4" as it is not round. Just use a steel pole, cheap, and then you can use standard cargo straps to rachet the bundle tight. And test it first. This will work just great. Good Luck

Not only do you want to secure your load, you want to stop and check it after the first 50 miles or so, then each time you stop for fuel or to piddle.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”