Hexayurts: 1" vs 2" wall thickness

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
XXIII
Burning Since: 2017

Hexayurts: 1" vs 2" wall thickness

Post by XXIII » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm wanting to build a standard 12 panel hexayurt out of R-Max. The manufacturer lists 1" RMAX as having an R value of 6. Wheras the 2" is about 12.5. Is this going to make a big difference practically speaking? It's only marginally more expensive to upgrade to 2" walls.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Hexayurts: 1" vs 2" wall thickness

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:29 pm

XXIII wrote:I'm wanting to build a standard 12 panel hexayurt out of R-Max. The manufacturer lists 1" RMAX as having an R value of 6. Wheras the 2" is about 12.5. Is this going to make a big difference practically speaking? It's only marginally more expensive to upgrade to 2" walls.

It's not going to make that big of a difference. Get the 1 inch, it stacks smaller too
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe maladroit has a yurt with 2" thick walls. Perhaps we'll hear some firsthand feedback soon.

I'm thinking, as Lucky has already stated, that a 2" yurt isn't really much cooler in practice, and is definitely a larger bundle to transport, which could be a real concern if you have limitations in that regard. I'm guessing that its main advantage may be that it is more stout. So much so that I bet you can sense it by simply drumming your fingers on it and listening to the sound it makes. A bass drum vs. snare drum kind of thing.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 pm

I do have a hexayurt with 2" walls and 1.5" roof. It required careful taping as you don't have much extra compared to all the overlap with 1" panels and 6" tape. I didn't really do it for extra insulation, mostly for extra strength. It has survived pretty well, this will be its fifth year. Some of the tape (most of what was covered in foil tape) is still original.

I didn't notice a huge insulating effect when just using a bucket cooler, but when I used a small air conditioner unit last year it was ice cold in there.

MrChipster
Burning Since: 2018

Post by MrChipster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am

First post:

I am building a 2" H15 (6ft walls) am planning for a 6 piece design (mitered edges)

2 Roof sections (half roof each)

2 - 4 panels (2-4ft and 2-2ft) walls 4ft section folds out and 2ft sections each fold back for transport
folded like the below lines hinge between panels 1&2, and 3&4 on the left on the 8ft side, 4ft panels hinged to each other on 4ft side

2 - 2 panels (1-4ft and 1-2ft) walls 2ft section fold back and nests into double wall section above to make rectangular package.

with velcro flaps and either cordura (nylon) or vinyl hinges/flaps.

I plan to make wood corners and a peak piece to distribute the load of the ratchet straps at each corner.

I also plan to have a ratchet strap that goes around the yurt at the edge of the wall roof line to replace the perimeter tape and add structure there. It will go over the flaps that act as facia for the edge of the roof.

I have a question:

Because I will not be using BiFill tape at the roof wall join and I will have a folding design it is possible that rain will enter the yurt at the seams between the roof and wall panels where the roof folds are. Does anyone have an Idea as to how to seal this potential leak area.

MrChipster
Burning Since: 2018

Post by MrChipster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:35 am

MrChipster wrote: with velcro flaps and either cordura (nylon) or vinyl hinges/flaps.
I thought I might be able to use Blue Tarp material or the heavier Heavy Duty - Silver&Black tarp as hinges but HH-66 and Barge cement do not hold to it. I am not interested in getting other glues so No-Go on the Blue tarp material.

On the other hand; Barge cement holds the Hook velcro in place on the foil of the board great.

Here was my testing procedure.

Slightly rough the surface of the foil with fine to medium sandpaper
Wipe clean with glass cleaner (windex)
Let glass cleaner dry
Apply "Barge All Purpose Original" cement to both surfaces to be glued
Let dry for 10 - 20 minutes
Apply pieces to each other
Roll with wallpaper roller or some other roller. (Do not try to peel edges, I did this on first sample and glue was still soft and seemed not to hold)
Let dry overnight before trying to move or check edges of velcro. I think you will be amazed as to how well this stuff works.

Chip

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 am

Chip, Thank you for going through the effort to tell us about it. Merry Christmas.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”