Truck camping questions.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
TheCretanBull
Burning Since: 2017

Truck camping questions.

Post by TheCretanBull » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:24 pm

So, this year will be my first Burn. Decided to take the easiest route available, and just sleep in my truck. It's a full size bed with a shell on top. I want to be extra careful free and say F shading it and just cut mylar for all the windows. My problem then becomes, how do I ventilate it with closed windows? Will keeping the hatch open get me sand blasted? If I have to keep the side windows(they have screens) open for ventilation, how to keep dust out?

Lots of questions, and I'm sure some are addressed elsewhere. I looked! Any experiences and advice will be appreciated!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Truck camping questions.

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 pm

If you sleep at night you'll be fine. I sleep in my van. You should bring a tent for your stuff. I cut reflectix and attach it to the windows on the outside with stucco tape. I sleep with the back hatch and another window or door open. The wind usually dies down at night so dust isn't much of a problem. (Although I have woke up a few times completely covered. No big deal. Walk it off.) However, you'll be roasting in that little oven of yours at 9AM. This is where it comes in handy to have a 'monster' truck. You could sleep under it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:19 am

If you sleep under or near a vehicle that could run over you if somebody cranked it up and moved it without looking, put the keys in your pocket. Unfortunately this happened to a young lady during build week in 2014. She ended up pinned under the vehicle and received some pretty significant leg injuries that required air evac to Reno, This was about 3:15 and E. She never made it back out to the playa that year.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:07 am

Molotov you are absolutely right.

Cretan, you'll need to change your playa name to Chock. You'll be OK.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:11 am

Tape some AC filters over your side windows and leave them open.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

TheCretanBull
Burning Since: 2017

Post by TheCretanBull » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 am

FIGJAM wrote:Tape some AC filters over your side windows and leave them open.
Easily done! Thank you guys for the tips.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 am

yeah, first year good plan. Suggest that you park it, empty the cab, and close it up. You don't want to access the truck during the week.

Shade is plentiful and most of your neighbors have ample. Drive in, lend a hand, don't be a tool, and gift. You'd be welcome at my camp any time.

I use a canvas tarp over the rear hatch covering down to the tailgate. Allows for multiple configurations during the week and can still quickly lock it up when you're on the prowl.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:45 am

You will totally get the most bang for your buck if you can shade your shell. The idea is to get some airflow between your shade and the surface of your habitat so the sun isn't beating on the surface closest to you. ideally 12"ish between them. Google monkey hut. Or rig a shade tarp (cheap @ harborfreight) over your rig with some conduit or the like.

Otherwise no amount of ventilation can wick away the heat radiating off your ceiling and into your space.

Just MHO YMMV
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:14 am

Bring a thick cloth tarp or an old blanket/comforter. Use this to drape over the back gate as a wind and dust blocker. You could roll the blanket back for some air or pull it shut when the wind picks up. Versatility and flexibility are your friends as conditions can change quickly from hot and dusty to cold.

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Post by WileE13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am

I would highly recommend investing in a pop up shade structure to put over the pickup. It makes a huge difference. 10x10 will cover the bed and 2 feet off the back. Without it, that camper shell will be unbearable from 9 AM until well after dark.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”