24' V3 Dome Help Requested

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
smilestill
Burning Since: 2014

24' V3 Dome Help Requested

Post by smilestill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I have looked through these forums and elsewhere for guidance as I put the final touches on my dome. Specifically I am looking for the cost effective and aesthetically pleasing many to cover it. Hoping that this post will turn up some experience and novel ideas.

Thank you.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: 24' V3 Dome Help Requested

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 am

Cover over spars?
Cover under spars?
Is spars the right terminology?

Whole lotta stuff in eplaya

try this in Google or their wannabe competition :

site:eplaya.burningman.org dome cover

Over 500 entries found in the search above....have fun!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 am

smilestill wrote:I have looked through these forums and elsewhere for guidance as I put the final touches on my dome. Specifically I am looking for the cost effective and aesthetically pleasing many to cover it. Hoping that this post will turn up some experience and novel ideas.

Thank you.
Better to ask in your own topic as this one is very focused on structural calculus

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 pm

The canopy is sort of a major detail to leave until AFTER you've made the skeleton, but you're not the first. Here's how I did mine:

https://www.instructables.com/id/24-Foo ... -EMT-Dome/
Beware teh snarkasm

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:31 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:The canopy is sort of a major detail to leave until AFTER you've made the skeleton, but you're not the first. Here's how I did mine:

This "instructable" is the best overview I've seen for burners making their first dome.

There are as many variants on each procedure or material as there are domes on the playa, but this is a great site to start.

Great links there also!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:The canopy is sort of a major detail to leave until AFTER you've made the skeleton, but you're not the first. Here's how I did mine:

And fucking awesome sauce for replying the the Russian dude in Cyrillic !!!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am

That is a wonderful instructable. I learned several tricks that I hadn't heard before. Thank you...

In the comment section you said, "Thank you! Drawing something out to the last detail is an ability in short supply, so don't sell yourself short! I usually find if I can figure something out to the nth detail on paper that I no longer have much desire to build it. It's a bit like the process of making it is 80% proving to myself that I can do it. If I figure it out on paper to a sufficient degree, the mystery and the challenge disappears. In this case I needed the dome though, so it had to be done. ;)"

This really hits home with me. I'm all about making it. I'm not keen on wearing it after it's done. Thanks again. Great job. (A month of Sundays for making the cover! The burn is little more than that now. The OP better get hopping.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Beware teh snarkasm

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”