Camp site next to portas?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
asr9754

Camp site next to portas?

Postby asr9754 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am

So, looking at our placement and the City map, we may be right next to the porta bank on a busy street. (No complaints here, happy to be placed at all), but looking for any tips on how people have dealt with the funk, crowds and noise from the porta and trucks.
Thanks!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Camp site next to portas?

Postby Chowski » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

I'm interested too. We got placed there for the first time this year. Anybody?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am

Your biggest problem may end up being that it becomes a parking lot. The trucks need 20 feet in front of the units. The rest of the space will fill up with cars, (Unless you use it). You'll get used to the door slamming and make plenty of new friends. Please become a 'friend of the potties' by stocking them with tp when you go. I don't know who is running the potty project this year. They may approach you and bring big bags of toilet paper to your camp. Several camps make a game of it by speaking to people inside with a bullhorn, educating the crowd about moop and potty etiquette or supplying a table with hand sanitizers, wipes, lotions, feminine hygiene products etc.. Embrace the potties. Make them your own. Put up funny signs. (Please take them down later.) Bring a sharpie and graffiti them. Just don't decorate with anything that can end up down the hole.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 am

We've gotten so good at carpooling that we won't have many vehicles to form a boundary between our camp and the porta row.
Would you think if we deliberately left a strip of space open along the side of our camp, then other burners would end up parking there? We'd be fine with sharing that space, we could even tell the neighbors that we have a strip of overflow parking to offer. I like the tip about getting involved in porta community outreach, thx!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am

Last year most of the portos were parking lots. Be sure and stake out your space. Those cars don't get moved all week. Some of them have info on the dash saying where to find the owner but most of them don't.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am

Hushville was near a porto bank one year. The only smell was during pumping, and it was not bad. The constant slamming of the doors was the most annoying aspect. Wham wham wham.

The only thing I can think of about the parked cars is that is they are on your placed area, and they leak fluids, then that becomes your camp's red or yellow MOOP spot, not theirs.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 am

Ratty wrote: I don't know who is running the potty project this year.

Is Robbi just taking a year off?

Sham

Postby Sham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 am

Last year we were directly across from the toilets. I gave our address as "5:30 and toilets". :shock:
There was never really any issue with smell or noise. It was awesomely convenient to have the portos so close to camp. A round trip visit was just a 2 minute ordeal.

Like everything in BRC, just relax and everything will work out for the best---and congrats on the great placement. 8)

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Postby fireheadwhale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 am

Ratty wrote:supplying a table with hand sanitizers, wipes, lotions, feminine hygiene products etc...

Only my second Burn this year but I was overjoyed to see the Butler Guy, Merlin, at the portos the second morning with Listerine, toothbrushes, cigarettes, lighters, combs etc. and even Red Noses just like last year. Last year I thought maybe he'd be there everyday but he moves to different portos. So cool to see the young ones wonder at the sight of him. One of the best gifts to the playa.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 pm

FWIW, being next to the portas was not bad at all. As predicted, O Ye Wise eplayans, there was 2 rows of random vehicles that parked along the strip next to the portas, so our camp site had a bit of a buffer, and the smell and noise from slamming doors was about 1% as bad as we thought it might be, I didn't hear much slamming at all. When the pump trucks came it smelled bad but that's everywhere. It was very convenient to be so close to them, actually. So for future reference it's not so bad, just leave a strip of vacant area in your layout to allow the rando vehicles to fill in and form your buffer and you'll be fine!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

Glad to hear it! Thank you for letting us know how it went, as I think I would be apprehensive at first, if I were in the same position. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”