MONKEY HUT "side walls" HELP please!!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
theJOYOUS

MONKEY HUT "side walls" HELP please!!

Postby theJOYOUS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello Burners!!! How's your playa prepping?! You know, The Journey has begun!!

I have been trying to read all the posts about MONKEY HUTS that are on here and utilizing the search function to find what I need.. but cannot figure it out.

I need some help please. I have used my beloved Monkey Hut for 5 years now on the playa and absolutely LOVE my little house, I call it the Magic House, still MH, get it... But the last few years, I have been really wanting to add some protection to my tunnel that loves to let the wind whiz right through....

basically I was thinking shade cloth, which would not completely stop any dust coming through but could divert it in such a way that I still get the breeze that I love and a little more protection on the open ends of my MH. I originally followed Lovemonkey's build instructions before the 2012 Burn. All good. LOVE IT.

Just need some SIDE WALLS ~~~ can you all please offer suggestions for what to use as the ends of the hut are obviously rounded and I don't know what kind of attaching to do so I can still get in and out.. I like the idea of something connected with bungee balls, since I'm using those already, that maybe angles out at a diagonal from the outer ribs of the hut... Shade cloth? I think a tarp would make it bake a little inside and I don't want that. I'd like to keep it as open as possible but need a little more protection from the elements of our lovely dusty home.

Please help. On playa in one month from today!!!

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Re: MONKEY HUT "side walls" HELP please!!

Postby sadie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Aluminet.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

theJOYOUS

Postby theJOYOUS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm

sadie wrote:Aluminet.

Thanks ~ yeah, I've thought of that too... just still don't know how to attach with the half-circular nature of the open ends? That is the tricky part for me

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Camo net is pretty flexible and you can attach to the mesh just about anywhere.
A double layer of camo cuts the sun better than just one.
It's nice because it lets more wind through than aluminet but still provides very useful shade.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm putting up my first monkey hut this year, and plan to re-use the plastic mesh shade cloth that I have hung on borrowed Costco carports. Big box hardware stores usually sell 6-ft wide shade cloth off a roll, so you can customize the length you need.

Mine is rectangular, but I'm just going to fold the edges in and bungee it in place. If it works well i may cut it next time in an arch. The stuff is basically ripstop, so in the past I've used zip ties just poked through it, will poke a bigger hole for bungee cords this year. Just going to shade the tent end.

Good luck and have a faboo burn!
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 *

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”