Sealing Tent Mesh Options?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
SpikyKitten
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Harmonic Convergence Camp

Sealing Tent Mesh Options?

Post by SpikyKitten » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Howdy, Burning Man Hivemind!

I'm thinking about trying out some new and improved tent mesh sealing options (the old blanket patches which have been attached with a zillion safety pins just isn't cutting it after many Burns) and was hoping to get some communal input/wisdom . . .

Option 1: Use plastic patches attached to the mesh areas with clear Gorilla Tape.
Option 2: Use that clear Flex Seal spray (like on the As Seen On TV commercial)
Option 3: Just use strips of Gorilla Tape to cover the mesh.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

:D

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Sealing Tent Mesh Options?

Post by TT120 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

That flex seal stuff looks like it would work pretty well. It sure sealed off that screen door bottomed boat.

If it were me, I'd probably try it and bring a couple extra cans to the playa with me for on-site repairs if needed. Of course, I'm not really known for making good decisions.......
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:32 am

Say no to any Gorilla Tape tapes. Their performance on playa is just too variable: some great reports, some disasters, some lackluster. Don't know if it's a production issue, shipping/storage issue or the product is too old (issues with new stock too).

All sorts of things have been tried. Some work well, others, are a no go.
If you go with tape, make sure its a low residue. Gaffers is golden, and available in light or white, but $$$.

Use Google to search eplaya for prior attempts, successes and failures.
Make sure what is presented as a "success" isn't a one hit wonder in a low wind year.

(I'm impressed with the Reflectix (spelling) radiant barrier bubble wrap. There's 'space blanket' radiant barrier bonded to cheap tarps available too, if you like the idea of cutting that up to custom fit. )
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

Idunno, I just used fancy sparkly duct tape from (DECODIMIFICATION EDIT)-Mart. It's held for 3 years now. I like the spray on rubber idea though. If that doesn't seal it nothing will.

Avoid the zippers & it should work like a champ. I may even get rid of my tape & try that.

How about a post-Playa report on what you used & how it worked (or didn't).

Also, a good dust protocol will go a long way to keeping your tent as "dust free" as possible. It doesn't matter how well sealed your tent is if you leave the fly open, don't use a mat outside the door, or do other things to bring dust in to your well sealed abode.

I have accepted & embraced the dust.

Be One With The DUST
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 am

We're hexayurting these days, but my first two years I used fun-colored duct tape, which works well but eventually needs to be replaced off but probably not during the burn:

Our shelter backup is still sealed tents, but I moved away from duct tape and instead to fabric glue.

I think we used one called fabri-tac. Fabric glue takes longer to do because you have to be more exact with your cuts. But it also seems more permanent than tape.

In retrospect I actually think duct tape is easier because you are probably going to miss spots anyway or need to patch something up out there and both options sort of ruin the tent for general use.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 am

If you go regularly to Burning Man, getting a 4-Seson tent is so much easier.

SpikyKitten
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Harmonic Convergence Camp

Post by SpikyKitten » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 am

Thanks for the hivemind feedback, y'all!

At this point, I think I'm looking at getting a new (easier to set up) tent, which has little-to-no mesh and what little mesh it does have, I think I'll use some radiant barrier solution with gaffers tape as Canoe mentioned up above.

I'll be sure to update this thread with my results and findings!

8)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Be aware that tape adhesive can damage tent fabrics. I left a note on my tent with duct tape and forgot to remove it and it had damaged the coating of the fabric. If you value your tent, make sure you don't leave that stuff on for long periods.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Capt. RON
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN

Post by Capt. RON » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 pm

an excerpt from the "Captain's LOG - Shelter

Dust is constant on the PLAYA, dust gets on EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE!
You can minimize the amount of dust in your sleeping area by purchasing tents with SOLID walls, NOT mesh.

Oh? but mine has a rain fly to cover up the mesh…..

Sorry, that’s not going work very well, the winds will just blow the dust up thru the sides and IT will cover EVERYTHING.

I already have a tent but it has mesh wall / windows
  • Root thru your linen closet and dig up an old mismatched set of sheets or go visit mom’s house and tell her you need some bedding (mom’s love to help out) or go to the local GOODWILL store and buy some sheets.

SAFETY pin the sheet to the mesh and use a pair of scissors to cut the sheet about 1in to 2in bigger all around the size and shape of your mesh

You’d be surprised how much this will cut down on dust accumulation in your sleeping area.

DO NOT use duct tape to seal up the mesh on a tent, because when it gets hot, it will turn into a sticky mess
"It's only smoking if you inhale" Daddy WARBUCKS Cigar Lounge at the ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN camp
http://orphanendorphin.com/cigar.html

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 am

Spacetime, great job there. I removed the fleece I had sewn over the mesh. Turns out the fleece was just a dust filter. No wonder my tent was always full of dust. I glued some reflective nylon fabric over the mesh panels. A motorcycle cover. It was wood glue and I left it clamped overnight. Two dozen bull nose clips come in handy all the time. The glue barely held when I dragged it inside and sewed it. I've saved a few old rainflys for tent repair. Next time it will be...
1. Set up the tent.
2. safety pin into place leaving 6 inches extra fabric all around.
3. sew and cut off the extra.
4. No gluing. No trying to cut corners.

I say 'next time' because the poles have already split and the zippers are getting difficult. I don't get too attached to tents. Vinegar and chapstick can only do so much. I need holy water.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

jodimoonbeam
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Rebel Camp

Post by jodimoonbeam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 am

Hi! This is an important topic. I've used an amazing 'palace' tent for the last two years that has been really good to me.
https://www.costco.com/Coleman-10-perso ... 48581.html

Problem is, it has mesh openings over the entire top. I sealed them and it has held up very well. Here's how:
I work in the hospital and I used the thick paper/plastic coverings they wrap sterile instruments in and cut it to the size of the mesh. I also think plastic or fleece would work fine.

I used high-quality fabric glue to glue this to my tent mesh. This is what I used:
http://www.michaels.com/beacon-fabri-ta ... 5eEALw_wcB

This project took a good afternoon to complete but it's worked well for me. Minor repairs to a couple parts of the glue-job are needed before going out this year.

It held up great and I had no dust in my tent except what escaped through the door. Hot as holy hell though - gonna get a battery operated fan to move that hot air around.

Hope this helps at least one person!
xo

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Don't use fleece to seal up your mesh. After many years I figured out that the dust was coming through it. I always blamed it on leaving the door or window open. Nope, fleece just filters it but doesn't stop it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”