Any tips for a very, very basic bar

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Nerval
Burning Since: 2014

Any tips for a very, very basic bar

Postby Nerval » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:45 am

It probably has been discuss before but since I can not search for "bar" (too short), I'm creating a new topic.

We are a new camp, and we just want a very very basic bar, as simple as possible (we had to build it on site, so we won't have fancy tools). Most of the videos and tutorial online are for complex home bar. We kinda just want a "high table", quite small (like a 2 stools wide bar).

Maybe just a few boxes/pallets put together?

Any suggestions/plans?

FIGJAM

Re: Any tips for a very, very basic bar

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 am

Get a folding card table, the ones with the 4 fold down legs.

Get some 1" EMT to slide over those legs.

Cut them the length you like for the height you like.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Postby WileE13 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 am

We built a simple portable bar a few years ago. First we built a square box from from 2x2 then used light weight trim boards to create an "X" on all sides for strength, then we wrapped it with a festival sheet around the sides. The top is a removable piece of plexiglass with another decorative sheet underneath to cover up the inside of the bar. I then added LED strips and a music controller to make it light up from the inside. The lights run off a car battery. The whole bar can be lifted by one person and put in a pickup.

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby tahiti_treat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 am

FIGJAM wrote:Get a folding card table, the ones with the 4 fold down legs.

Get some 1" EMT to slide over those legs.

Cut them the length you like for the height you like.

This is what we do. It works well.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby ACfromSAC » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

Echo Figjam's comment. My Heavy Metal Happy Hour bar top is just a folding table with a banner draped across the front.

Put out some games to get people to come over (cornhole, etc), play music, be good at initiating and carrying friendly conversations. My only other tip would be that Bloody Mary's make a mess of people's cups. I stopped making them. They're a popular beverage at bars on the playa but it's a quick way to make whatever is poured into your cup next tomato-ey.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:02 am

Mmmmmm. Margaritas on the rocks. Just a few ingredients and so welcoming. No limes or you'll need a food permit. Speaking of food permit, have a hygiene plan. Disinfectant wipes. Spray bottle of water. A basin, water, disposable wipes, evaporative pond.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Love the card table! Playatech sells their designs for a nominal fee, but you could develop your own version.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Things we've used in the past:

1) Playatech
2) wire shelves with a piece of plywood cut to fit the top
3) EMT frame with plywood top
4) Folding table

I think #2 was the cheapest, lightest and easiest to transport. You can get a 6' tall shelf and make it into two 3' tall bars. Playatech was the sturdiest but it's really heavy and takes up a lot of room in a vehicle. Folding table was ok, would have been better with extensions like mentioned above. EMT frame is pretty good if you happen to have extra fittings. I think it gets kind of expensive to use them for furniture though.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:14 pm

And make sure you bring more mixers than you think you'll need. People are always commenting on how much booze they've got but not enough mixers. Trust me, it won't go to waste.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Or you can take a bottle of unopened mixer or booze, pick a random direction, walk for 30 seconds to a minute and you are likely at a bar.

Nerval
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Nerval » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll go for FIGJAM solution, very simple and straight forward, and yes with something in the front to decorate.

I know we can find drinks everywhere there, but we are a new theme camp, with some relaxing activities, and we thought he was nice to propose some refreshment for people hanging around at our camp. Only one fresh drink like margaritas or Moscow mule. I think lemon juice from bottle is OK to mix without permit.

Zubeneschamali
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:52 am

Read up on the liabilities of running a bar. LEO's like to bust bars that serve minors.

Day bars are easier than night bars. Less crowds and the patrons are usually not demanding asshats.

Street bars will naturally attract crap, unwanted crap. At the end of the day you'll have forgotten water bottles, goggles, and "gifts". You'll need to manage that one way or another.

Prepare a grey water, recyclables, and trash plan. Running a bar will increase the impact.

Basic of basic, wood, a couple screws, throw a handful of sharpies so patrons can sign the bar. Toss it on a burn barrel Saturday night. Wood stools with padded seats can be dismantled so the wood goes in the fire and the other material in the trash.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”