Securing EMT structure side tarps to Playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
DrCook
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Cosmic Giggle

Securing EMT structure side tarps to Playa

Postby DrCook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 am

I'm designing a flat top shade structure for my camp, using 1"EMT & lag bolts like so many others. It's going over tents in a non-interactive area so I'm also planning to put angled tarps on the sides to block wind and add a little extra shade. I've read a few different opinions about securing the side tarps to the ground, and am hoping some of you with experience can offer your thoughts.

Screwing lag bolts with washers straight through tarp grommets into playa seems easiest and best at blocking wind, but some have said that in high winds the grommets may pull apart from the tarp.

I see others putting bungee balls through the grommets and pulling tight to a lag. This probably helps the grommet ripping issue, but leaves a gap for breezes below the tarp and is a bit more complicated.

I think it was Trilobyte that suggested another length of EMT at ground level, with bungees attached to that as a simpler method, albeit requiring more EMT and still leaving the gap.

We hope to leave this in our Gerlach container afterward and use it for a number of years, so I'm looking for the right balance of simplicity, functionality and durability. Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks!

FIGJAM

Re: Securing EMT structure side tarps to Playa

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:18 pm

In 7 years I've never torn out a grommet!

Just make sure to put a lag through ALL the grommets!!!

407512906.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

DrCook
Camp Name: Cosmic Giggle

Postby DrCook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks, Figjam! And love the tarp with your avatar on it!

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 pm

The more grommets you secure the better. I've had canvas tarps rip out the grommets but that was only with three or so grommets attached to the ground. Bungees also help with keeping the tarp taut. If there's any flapping in the tarp that can lead to tearing. Also, there's a big difference between having a tarp straight up and down and one that is angled at 45 degrees or more.

dustandsnow

Postby dustandsnow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:16 am

I use a ratchet strap hooked to a lag screw as the hypotenuse of a 6-8-10 triangle at each edge of the side tarp (my structure is 8' high) and then I bungee ball the shade cloth to each strap & the lag screw. I chose shade cloth as the side wall because it's porous and 1) allows people to see out of the structure and 2) doesn't act like as much of a sail in the wind. The shade cloth does sacrifice some dust protection so if that's what you're optimizing for solid tarps made be a better choice.

Ends up looking like this:

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”