Lag Screws for Carport

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
rfii
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lonely Camp

Lag Screws for Carport

Postby rfii » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm a newb and having a trouble finding a direct answer to this.

For a 10'x20' carport, is it sufficient to put in one 14" lag screw into the foot of each vertical strut?
Do I also need to hold down the roof by putting one lag screw down at the base of each side and connecting that to the roof with a ratchet strap? Could I simply ratchet strap the roof to the lag screw in the feet instead?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Lag Screws for Carport

Postby Ratty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:34 pm

I put one rebar near each foot and use ratchet straps. Wind it around the joint. Not the bar. I dont have any feet on my carport. Never had a problem. Do all this before you dress the whole thing. Otherwise it may blow away right off the bat.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 pm

I sort of did it like you did. I put one lag bolt per foot, but also add a double chainlink and washer on each lagbolt so that I can tie things to them. Then I create internal diagonals in the side walls to keep it stiff using some sort of cord (I used mule tape at the time, but paracord, etc. would work fine). I only used one diagonal per leg pair, but two would make it even more rigid.

For the canopy I just connected it to the structure using running rigging. I did not strap to the roof section itself though (i.e. the diagonals that make the peak of the roof). It seemed strong enough to not require that.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 am

I've always done it like Ratty & BBadger & I used re-bar. I've considered putting lags in each foot but I like to embrace K.I.S.S. & keep things simple to prevent possible failure. My hammer has never failed me but I have had drills & batteries that have so I hesitate to use lags. The time savings argument for lags is a non issue as I can usually drive & remove rebar in like 20 seconds. I'm not part of a NASCAR pit crew so I think that's good enough for me. My rebar system worked well in 2015 where we had some pretty strong winds so even if Lags provide better grip I'm still not concerned. My carport rigging didn't show any signs of failure.

-For some reason I always have to buy more ratchet straps each year because like that one sock my straps randomly go missing.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

rfii

Postby rfii » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Can you explain the riggings and strap/rope in more laymens terms? I am not following what you're describing but I appreciate your help! A lot of the stuff I am reading is just using terminology that I don't understand so just descriptive language about what is tied to what would help! Thanks!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Have you seen this post, from this search by chance?
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 pm

The legs need to be movable while you are putting the walls on. Put lags in the feet only as the very last part of the setup. Only 12" lags are needed, because the only purpose they serve is to keep the feet from walking in the wind. For actually attaching the carport to the playa, I sink 4 18" lags with washers and 2-link chains slightly to the outside of the 4 inner legs. I then wrap two 30 foot long, 2" wide ratchet straps over the entire structure (but under the tarps), and attach them to the 18" lag bolts and ratchet down tight. I have never seen the slightest movement of a carport in the wind using this method.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 am

Hmm, I usually put the lags in right after I attached the canopy and elevated the structure to prevent the structure from tipping over or flying away. The walls are a pain to attach to the legs, but they're always a pain regardless. You really have to stretch them out to make those hooks latch on.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

rfii

Postby rfii » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks.

Is a blake hitch or taut-line knot suitable for this if using rope instead? Also, under these conditions would those knots be okay with mule tape?

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:00 am

I've used the blake hitch with lag screws and mule tape. I also combined it with a trucker's hitch for greater purchase. You might want to use chain links to loop it through though, not just wrap it around the head.

Paracord works a bit nicer though. Sometimes that mule tape feels like it'll loosen up, even if it really doesn't.

rfii

Postby rfii » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

For posterity, I learned that using a lag screw for double duty as both the anchor for a ratchet strap and the anchor for a carport foot has one major downside: adjusting the feet position for the carport sidewall covers will require both unscrewing the foot and undoing the ratchet straps. Conversely, if the anchor point for the ratchet straps is separate from the feet, then it would be easy to adjust the feet. It i very difficult to get the feet lined up perfectly on the first get go, so adjustment is very likely. This was said before by Roundabout and others, but I did not understand at the time.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Yeah, though those sidewalls are already a huge pain to put on anyway. You can usually get the side-walls to hook into the legs without zipping them up so they won't catch the wind too much.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”