Shiftpod v2

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
truemetal
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Reverbia

Shiftpod v2

Postby truemetal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Just received my new shiftpod and I am really excited to use it on playa. I did a "test run" in my back-yard, and the first part (setting it up by popping the sides and attaching the floor) went perfectly quick and easy. The next steps are not. I have some basic experience with tents, camping and engineering - but now I suddenly feel very confused. :D There are no instructions / manuals for v2 on the website.

1) Roof support pole. When assembled in the shortest possible configuration, it still measures 7'2", which is substantially more than the shiftpod height at the center (6'5"). It is possible to insert it there by applying some force and stretching the structure, but it does not really feel natural. And I cannot even think what I would do if I make the pole even longer (there are two more holes to do this). Is this way it was designed?

2) Rain/solar fly - where and how am I supposed to attach it? If I fasten the ends to the knobs on the sides (where zip-ties are attached), there is too much slack. At the same time it does not reach all the way towards the bottom to be fastened there. Should I use external ties/stakes? Sounds weird.

3) The "skirt" around the bottom has some ring-holes - what are they for? Is this for inserting additional rebars?

Thank you!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Shiftpod v2

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 am

Is the pole in backwards?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

truemetal

Postby truemetal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

BBadger wrote:Is the pole in backwards?

I do not think so - on one end it is sort of concave-shaped, and this goes nicely around the round plastic hub cover on the ceiling. The other end is flat, so I assume it goes to the floor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:43 am

Have you tried calling or emailing the manufacturer? Certainly, they should have the answers to the question you are asking.

I actually can't believe they shipped you the tent without instructions for setting it up. Especially since it sounds like it's not very intuitive.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Are you even supposed to use a center pole? Every picture I've seen doesn't even use a center pole, and wouldn't that just kill the interior space? I think they do provide it for extreme conditions, but having a big pole in the middle wouldn't be great. Maybe see if the pole can extend through the connector at the top or even replace it. Then maybe you can tie to the top of it outside to secure things.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

truemetal

Postby truemetal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Elderberry wrote:Have you tried calling or emailing the manufacturer? Certainly, they should have the answers to the question you are asking.

Yes, I did email them 2 days ago - no reply so far.

truemetal

Postby truemetal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 pm

BBadger wrote:Are you even supposed to use a center pole?

The pole indeed is only for adverse weather conditions - but I thought it is a good idea to figure out how to do it while at home, and not when I am on the playa in a windstorm and with no ability to google or watch youtube videos :)

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Did you ever figure out the rain fly? I just received my rain fly in the mail this week, and am not going to have a chance to try setting it up before the burn, wups. I have a shiftpod 1.8, so the rain fly is an upgrade but supposedly will work with the 1.8.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 *

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”