DIY shade cloth edging

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

DIY shade cloth edging

Postby Skyote » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 pm

BF and I are able to attend with a friend somewhat last-minute and are scrambling to get ready. Because we absolutely cannot help ourselves, we're determined to update our shade structure in the little time we have. Currently it's a 20x30 flat top conduit + silver tarp ceiling/walls maneuver (about 70% walled), and we found with this we end up cooking inside a tarp box. Since we're too late to order from far-flung factories or anything custom, we're making some compromises to our ideal plan based on what is "in stock" in US shops at this late date. We already ordered raw aluminet for the top, after many ePlaya threads convinced us that raw aluminet with plastic grippers is a-okay. We'd like to use shade cloth around the sides, however, and it seems like edging and grommeting shade cloth is a better way to go for various reasons.

I haven't found specific instructions about edging shade cloth, and assumed this was because it's totally straight forward. I have an industrial, needle-feed, straight-stitch machine, and though I've never used it for something like this, I figured it could handle stitching through a couple layers of nylon and shade cloth no problem. I'm willing to spend the hours binding and sewing, and BF is prepared to grommet a million grommets, since our previous tarp setup required a decent amount of elbow grease with one of those hardcore grommet thingies.

This morning I was reading yet more shade cloth threads, and in one someone mentioned how difficult it is to edge shade cloth yourself, or find anyone who will do it, or even a machine that can do it. Now I'm full of doubt! Well, just a little. Enough that I wanted to run this by ePlaya, because someone has had to have done this before, or seen it done, or heard tales... So: is this something we could reasonably handle with an industrial machine? Would this take many more hours than I'm imagining? We would have two 30x12 panels and one 20x12, and I'm thinking that could be done in a day, assuming the machine is actually happy doing this. Am I nuts?

A compromise would be to use a FIGJAM method I read in one of these threads, which was to fold the edge over a cord and then use a plastic gripper clip. Certainly easier, but I still wonder about longevity of cloth that's not "properly" edged. But then I wonder: could we hypothetically edge it this way now, then edge it properly later? How much would it stretch out or deform from one burn (if at all)?

Bonus question: what is the re-saleability of shade cloth, on the off chance we spend a bunch this year on a compromise, only to upgrade later when we have more lead time? Seems like the stuff has several years of usable life, and burners love a deal :lol:

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: DIY shade cloth edging

Postby Token » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

A standard sewing machine is a poor choice for shade cloth. The stitch from a sewing machine is firm and has no give.

Shade cloth is stitched with a serger machine. It is similar but does a overlay stitch that stretches with the fabric.

If the shade cloth is knit, as averse to woven, the clips are fine and better than sewing.

Go with simple. Figjam got it down right.

Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

Postby Skyote » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Ah okay, I assumed I'd just be sewing into the binding material - which would be non-stretch, so a non-stretch stitch would be fine - with the shade cloth would be sandwiched in (like a quilt binding). But regardless it sounds like the improved clip method is a good solution and far less work. Thanks Token!

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Postby krly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but, is there a consensus on the best type of "edge-gripper clip" to use ? Link ?
Thanks

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”