What is your floor?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
LeonardPotato
Burning Since: 2017

What is your floor?

Postby LeonardPotato » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 am

I have a shade shelter. I have seen it suggested that I put some sort of "flooring" down in my camp.

I have a large tarp that I bought for another shelter idea. It is bigger than my shelter, but I could fold it to fit. Then the questions becomes, how to secure it.

What all have you tried? Any suggestions?

I have considered a old piece of carpet, but that takes a lot of cargo room. Is it worth it?
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: What is your floor?

Postby Token » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

No on the tarp unless it is a heavy duck canvas tarp. Not durable enough and will create a mess eventually when it tears and shreds.

Real carpet - yes. Doesn't need to be super big, maybe a spot to take shoes off and put feet up.

Best to tape all edges to limit fraying.

I've heard folks getting used billboard vinyl and using that with good results but no first hand experience.

Get the 12" carpenter nails at big box store, maybe some washers, pound in every couple feet with a claw hammer.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am

I use a fairly heavy painter's dropcloth. It has a cloth/canvas texture which is less slick to walk on and to me seems more comfortable than using plastic tarp. Secure it to the ground as Token suggested, using those really long nails and a washer every few feet around the perimeter. They pound in very easily. It's handy to bring a little broom to sweep out dust mounds which accumulate by midweek, if you have the space to bring it. It never becomes dust free again, mind you, but does gets you back to some semblance of a floor being there.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 am

We use billboard vinyl for our bar/lounge area and it works quite well. Sweep it off every couple days and it's good to go. We secure it with gutter nails with fender washers.

For my personal camp area, I use an old piece of carpet about 5' X 3' for in front of my tent and a welcome mat right at the door of my tent. I don't really secure the carpet down, I just have a bunch of heavy crap on it like my coolers.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 am

Large canvas tarp I have had for years, anchor the corners with large nails and washers. New for me this year is a 5x5 piece of carpet, edges taped in front of the door of the RMC. Probably use nails for it too.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:24 am

I got a 10x16 tent for "free" ~10 years ago. Only used once! It turned out it had been used in the rain, and stored wet for a year.
I ended up cutting out the bottom (a tarpish material) and have used it ever since as a floor.
I know of camps that use 10x20 tarps for floors. Most don't even worry about nailing through them. One good thing about tarps on the ground is that you can use them to square up your structure legs.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

burner von braun wrote:I use a fairly heavy painter's dropcloth. It has a cloth/canvas texture which is less slick to walk on and to me seems more comfortable than using plastic tarp. Secure it to the ground as Token suggested, using those really long nails and a washer every few feet around the perimeter. They pound in very easily. It's handy to bring a little broom to sweep out dust mounds which accumulate by midweek, if you have the space to bring it. It never becomes dust free again, mind you, but does gets you back to some semblance of a floor being there.

This is what we've done in the past, too. Although, be sure not to spill liquid on top of this, because it can cake up pretty badly.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 pm

I have never once had a floor in any shade structure I've used, including a monkey hut.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I brought one of those mats you put at the landing of your home's entrance to wipe your feet upon. After a few days I couldn't tell where it was because it was the same color as the playa itself. Maybe something more elevated or carpet would be better.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

We use large pieces of carpet as has been mentioned already... tape edges, nail it down with big nails and washers. Have been in camps that use the big plastic tarps like from the big box stores. Not too bad unless it rains... then it's like living on a slip and slide and someone WILL fall and hurt themselves. My two cents.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Savannah wrote:I have never once had a floor in any shade structure I've used, including a monkey hut.

Some of us are sloppy :)
They're good for spills. Liquid and small detritus.
I find a lot of micro-moop when sweeping/ rolling it up to go home.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Not the most eco, or the least: get some free carpet destined for the dump. Use it at the burn. Dump at the Fernley dump.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:04 pm

The floor of my ger (Mongolian-style yurt) is billboard vinyl, tucked up around the outside lattice under the wall layer (also billboard vinyl). Having that overlap really cuts down on dust, and since it is turned up on the inside of the wall covering, I don't have to worry about rain flowing in.

It's heavy, but has held up great so far. I simply screwed the lag bolts I use for the base of the wall straight through it the first time, and now put them in the same place every time.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
Savannah wrote:I have never once had a floor in any shade structure I've used, including a monkey hut.

Some of us are sloppy :)
They're good for spills. Liquid and small detritus.
I find a lot of micro-moop when sweeping/ rolling it up to go home.

I imagine so! . . . I just moop mercilessly as I go, and after I pack as well.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Papa Bear wrote:The floor of my ger (Mongolian-style yurt) is billboard vinyl, tucked up around the outside lattice under the wall layer (also billboard vinyl). Having that overlap really cuts down on dust, and since it is turned up on the inside of the wall covering, I don't have to worry about rain flowing in.

It's heavy, but has held up great so far. I simply screwed the lag bolts I use for the base of the wall straight through it the first time, and now put them in the same place every time.

Where do you get used billboard vinyl?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 am

Rasputin's? Hi Spacetime. Look up a bill board company. I imagine the company's name and # is on the bottom of the billboard.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 am

We also use billboard vinyl, but it is harder to come by during hay season.

On top of that is "soda pop" carpets for under the tents. Made from recycled plastic, they are soft, lightweight, and rinse off beautifully. The kitchen area is a large sisal rug. Holds moopy crap until we get home. Tough stuff.

In front of the tents: small area rugs or welcome mats.

Plus a painted runner for fun.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 pm

spacetime wrote:Where do you get used billboard vinyl?

I got mine for free more than a dozen years ago, so not sure what's best now. I know http://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com has several locations, but I don't know how prices compare.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”